Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Things about Kate and Lucky (Guzzi) (Read 550 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Things about Kate
Reply #30 - 12/18/20 at 04:04:08

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #31 - 12/18/20 at 08:10:48

So , Hitler really like his Honda ... maybe he was trying to meet the "Nice-People" on a Honda ?   Roll Eyes

My Brother Kent loved his V65 Honda , and rode it till it was nothing but rubble .    
Then he got Triumphs version of a Sport's Bike the 900 triple w/99HP  in hopes of  carrying on like the V65.   It kind-of worked.
Now Kent has an old (pre rubber mount) Harley 1200 Sportster so he could "SLOW-DOWN" in his old age !   Grin
Anybody who has seen him ride that old Sportster might think it didn't work !   He rides it like it was a Honda V65   Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 12/18/20 at 11:13:01

Hitler loved his 1100cc Rebel engine because the long long cam chain had this long long travel cam chain adjuster system and, being water cooled, the head didn't move upwards nearly as much as the old air cooled Savage engine did.

The cam, cam chain and the rest of the engine was carefully engineered by Honda to run off of modern, wimpy oils suitable to a fully modern catalytic converter equipped engine ........

The Honda Africa Twin made up a really good proving ground for the engine, as transcontinental fast dirt riding requires total reliability of the engine and the drive train as there ARE no bike shops along the way.

And yes, other versions with bigger 6.5 gallon gas tanks already exist in the Africa Twin line, so look to see the Honda 1100cc Rebel get that and the more powerful Africa Twin engine  or else the same tuning retrofitted into a Commander style aftermarket computer tuning system.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/18/20 at 19:03:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #33 - 12/18/20 at 16:00:41

I believe a 500cc version would be better than the 1100cc version.  

So do all the Honda V-4 have cam chain issues ?   I'll have to find out why brother quit fixing his .  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 12/18/20 at 18:11:02

No, not issues inside normal bike mileage numbers, but Hondas did put wear on their cam chains over time.

As in all of their premium engines, Honda DESIGNED a cam chain adjustment system that gave them goodly amounts of miles built in from the beginning.     I don't think Honda ever made a system like the Suzuki growth ratchet system. most were self-adjusted with a known small amount of spring tension when the engine was in the cold part of its contraction expansion swing span.

All Honda big bike engines can go over 50,000 miles with normal maintenance.   100,000 miles is not unusual, but Honda requires routine maintenance to do those sorts of miles.

I did check the Africa Twin forums and the first generation 1000 cc Africa Twins had  spring loaded cam tension adjusters that were completely self adjusting.   Forum cam chains and guides did require some replacement though, mentions a site in Europe that has a guy that can do it all (new curved guide and chain) with the engine sitting in the frame inside of two hours.

Looking at it, pulling a bolt or two and then the curved side chain guide slides in and out from the side cover opening.   The straight guide (which is retained by the head) likely gets little wear, so replacing that would likely not be needed until full head removing tear downs were needed.

Honda users do like to complain about their pre-warm up cam chain noises, though.  So a cold cam chain can make a discernible sound I would think.

I think it would live and run about like a Honda, which is fairly quiet and bullet proof generally speaking.

Aftermarket sells this sort of 100% manual adjuster system for "performance Honda Africa Twin engines".    The few who used them seem to like them.   Ebay has them listed for like $39 so they aren't that expensive.   Full price is $69 so they are still fairly inexpensive items.

Rebel 500 has a dry weight of 408 pounds  (50 hp)

Rebel 1100 (manual trans model) weighs 487 pounds.   (88 hp)

if you want the fancy double clutch automatic transmission, weight goes up to 508 pounds.

I think it is all sort of esoteric over in Mike land, as your Guzzi makes about the same hp as the Rebel 500 and weights about the same.   It just needs fixing.

Dave has offered help and a heated garage to work in, you could make the trip to Dave's or else do it in your own somewhat heated bike fix it space as you have one you can work in.

Remember, the Rebel 1100 is intentionally detuned ~ 20 hp removed ~ with purpose added anti-wheelie control features added to the throttle by wire control system, likely because these anti-wheelie tricks were actually needed items at the automatic transmission 88 hp level with the short wheel base of the Rebel.

An abrupt whacked open hand full of throttle at a stop light might jest give you a real good look at them fluffy white clouds ......

Roll Eyes

Personally, I can't handle a 400+ pound bike at all (or any bike, for that matter) so I should just sit over here quietly, I think .......  My bike riding days are over although I don't like it any at all.

« Last Edit: 12/19/20 at 00:20:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 12/18/20 at 19:12:34

Smiley

Looks like me and Dave are going Guzzi - Gutting after Christmas !   Wink

I like air cooled engines just fine.   And 50HP is plenty for anything I'm going to do.

I put the mild spring in my cam-chain adjuster and moved to the extended hole a long time ago.   Well my S-40 has about 50K miles and the adjuster might have moved one click in the last 30K miles , so now its 3 clicks out from fully compressed.   I may never have to replace the chain ?  Cool

The Guzzi company (piaggio group) makes a 500cc three wheeled thing that leans with the curves .   I'll be old some day , but like Dave says ... not today !

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #36 - 12/18/20 at 20:43:27

Oldfeller, you're making me feel good about the Rebel 1100. Mind you I am quite happy with the Shadow Spirit 1100 at around 600 lbs and 60 hp, but like I said, let's see what is available used in 5 years or so.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 12/19/20 at 12:33:35

Once you are in the second hole, the adjuster moves on out until the cam chain hits itself coming and going.

There are a lot of us in the second hole now but nobody seems to have any noise symptoms from the cam chain brushing the inside edge of itself coming and going with the resulting noise perhaps being so mild everyone simply gets used to it and ignores it.

I question if the solid sets of cam chain plates going up and down simply rub their inside curved edges together very gently and the stretch and wear out simply stops because the cam chain is in essence supported on both sides by an oil filmed solid hard steel surface (ie. itself) that is sandwiched between the durable plastic guide rails.

I wonder about that .......  really.             Roll Eyes

===================================================

MM, do you have a fish scale (or other force gauge) you could use on your clutch lever before and after so as to quantify your improvements?

Some light cord and a small pulley to bend the force 90o and some smaller bar bell weights could do the trick .......

« Last Edit: 12/20/20 at 20:30:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #38 - 12/19/20 at 19:56:55

I used the "This er fit her" method when picking a new spring .   It has enough pressure to take up the slack but not enough to make any slack of its own !    Easily collapsed  between the thumb and index finger.  
One click in 30,000 miles , no pressure at all !   Wink   Just take the slack up !!  It can't go backwards by itself anyway .  

I like the adjuster on Kate just as much !     Smiley

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #39 - 12/19/20 at 20:35:54

When the plunger is out too far a LOT of that comes from the tensioner arm bending not just chain wear. Put on a new arm and the plunger will go back in a suprising ways. A victum of the pawl.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #40 - 12/19/20 at 22:00:09

It occurred to me that :  There ain't no point in that spring being anything but enough to take the slack up.   The ratchet will do the rest.  Wink

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #41 - 12/20/20 at 14:43:31

Hay Dave ,

I finally understand what Oldfeller is asking --- he means about the "Guzzi" Clutch.  

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 12/20/20 at 18:09:27

Yes, Mike.  If you can't measure something about your Guzzi clutch lever actuation force, how will you know if you fixed anything?

As to how the Guzzi clutch operates against its spring finger pressure plate, you got me.     Roll Eyes

Never owned a Guzzi, don't have any sort of knowledge apart from general knowledge from old car clutches that used spring finger pressure plates ......

I take it your finger force driven handlebar actuator is a hydraulic cylinder acting on another hydraulic cylinder in the clutch plate bell housing?   And there is a fluid  reservoir and a bleed station and a hydraulic line involved?

Have you ever bled this system or changed out the hydraulic fluid?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #43 - 12/20/20 at 19:27:08

Oh no OldFeller

Guzzi's are simple .    Its a cable pulling a lever about 6 inches long w/pivot at the base , then a push rod ridding about an inch from the pivot.

Its a lot like the Savage in function - push rod through one plate pushing the  other plate .    Its is single plate like a 1970's car.

Something is binding up the rod .   I'm sure that once its pieces are sprawled out in a line on the floor it will be plain what the problem is.   If its not then I'm going for milder springs.

moto-guzzi-motorcycle-2015-v7-ii-racer-abs-750-engine-clutch-ii_001.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #44 - 12/20/20 at 20:00:09

Plates

I do not completely understand how it works

But

Its nothing I can't figure out once I see it in the open.

Clutch_plates.jpg

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 16:05:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Things about Kate and Lucky (Guzzi)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.