Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS650 (Read 1405 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS65
Reply #105 - 10/27/19 at 15:03:59

Another angle.

20191027_1532281.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #106 - 10/27/19 at 15:06:27

Here's the installation with plumbing. Makes me think of a bowtie. Grin

20191027_1631401.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #107 - 10/27/19 at 15:20:02

Here's Thumpy fully clothed with his dignity restored again.

Yes I rode around but front brakes are still inop. Steering, handling and suspension all very nice. Improved significantly.

But problems. Caliper side pads drag because they are cocked at an angle. For the life of me I couldn't put the calipers on without them tilting. Will this correct itself when the pistons actuate? Will those pads straighten out or have I got some weird ass problem here?

The left side brake line is fairly tight for unknown reasons. I added 3/4" to the length of the OEM Eliminator brake lines but something is different. Can I get longer banjo fittings or do I need to get new lines all over again? There's a 1/4" difference between left and right lower lines even though I ordered them the same length.

Finally, I cannot find out anywhere how high the Eliminators forks sit above to top clamp. No pictures show this and nothing in the service manual. How do I know how high up to set the forks in the clamps?

20191027_1741111.jpg

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #108 - 10/27/19 at 15:25:13

And finally here's Thumpy being adored by his bratty younger sister from Italy Cheesy

Also I think I may have reached my ideal chrome to black ratio...

20191027_1740031.jpg

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #109 - 10/30/19 at 18:34:31

No thanks to folks here I got it sorted out. Thumpy rides again!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #110 - 10/31/19 at 07:31:56

philthymike wrote on 10/30/19 at 18:34:31:
No thanks to folks here I got it sorted out. Thumpy rides again!

--------------------------

Huh Huh  I thought you had a lot of people offering help???    Huh Huh

Anyway, I take it you figured out your pad issues and it's all working now?  How do you like it?  Was it worth tie effort?

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #111 - 04/18/20 at 16:27:08

I like it very much. I have braking performance comparable to my Ducati now. If grab alot of lever (like the original brake requires) the front wheel locks up. So I retrained my myself to only use 2 fingers. There's excellent feedback now which makes it easy to feel when I'm overdoing things. Even my Ducati doesn't have such good brake feedback in the lever.

This weekend I just ordered brand new rotors and pads. The worn out used parts I got originally were the cheapest I could find just for the purpose of fitment testing and the rotors are badly worn so that the pads don't make even contact. So now I'm upgrading stuff as needed/desired to formalize the change now that it's thoroughly burned in.

Not as thrilled with the suspension. Braking is a night and day difference but not the case with the springs. Quite a bit of dive. I'm going to swap a heavier weight oil in after conversations with ZL900 Eliminator owners. I'm told this is a worthwhile improvement for little money and effort.
After that if I'm still not happy I can choose to upgrade to progressive springs. As it is now there's not alot of difference from stock forks.

But when I get cutoff doing 80 on the interstate I don't need to swerve off onto the shoulder anymore to avoid rear-ending. This sucker sheds speed fast now.

I think the last and missing piece now is fork bracing. It needs it now. The only ZL900 brace I've seen was stupid money. So I'm going to take the Savage fork brace I bought before swapping the front end and get it machined to fit the ZL forks. I could probably do it with my belt sander but I don't want to risk messing up the expensive brace. The shop will probably only need a 1/4 hour for the job. Not much material needs removed - like 1mm at most.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #112 - 04/18/20 at 16:53:31

I’m glad it’s working for you. Good mod. Progressive rate springs will introduce more brake dive, not less.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #113 - 04/18/20 at 17:42:52

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/18/20 at 16:53:31:
I’m glad it’s working for you. Good mod. Progressive rate springs will introduce more brake dive, not less.

Egads! In that case I hope the heavier fork oil works as promised.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #114 - 04/18/20 at 18:39:09

I take that back. Progressive rate springs have the POTENTIAL to increase the brake dive and slow speed dive. It depends on the initial rate. If the initial rate is lower than what you currently have, you’ll have more dive.

A heavier oil will help correct with the damping associated with brake dive, but it will also make the forks harsh over high-speed bumps and sharp bumps.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #115 - 04/18/20 at 18:49:56

At least if the oil change makes it too harsh it's easy enough to go back to the factory recommended one.

I have not yet tried putting air in the forks because I never got around to buying a suitable hand pump.
Could increased pressure help here?

From reading stuff in the Eliminator forum I got the impression that adding air pressure is only useful for riding two up. So tinkering with this hasn't been important since nobody has wanted to be a pillion since the bike has been back on the road.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #116 - 04/18/20 at 19:09:33

philthymike wrote on 04/18/20 at 16:27:08:
...If grab alot of lever (like the original brake requires) the front wheel locks up.

When I did my first motorcycle course with the original directors of the Stay Upright riding school in 1984 one of the first practical lessons was to find the lock up point on the front wheels, but to find that point you have to lock the front wheel which is something we so instinctively don't want to do that we were told a story of professional racing riders testing BMW's revolutionary ABS systems for bikes and every pro rider thought that it could not best them and they were amazed to find that they themselves were not at the limit when they thought they were.

So in order to prove to us mortals that a front wheel lock up will not necessarily bring you down Graham Forlonge, came down the straight at a pretty decent clip and locked the font wheel at 60kph or maybe faster and smoked it to a stop with the wheel burning the rubber the entire length of the braking.

So now they proved what is possible, we were asked to keep squeezing the font brake till it locked and what we were tasked to do was to learn to instantly release the pressure on it at the instant it locked. The point was to know what it feels like just before it locks and there's only one way to find that out. So that in a genuine emergency brake, when you either hold the bike right at the point of lock up or you die. Hopefully no one is ever in that situation. But it saved my life once when I had to do just that, when an extra long semi trailer did a sudden turn. I don't have the courage to do this in the wet though.

https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/police-motorcyclists-to-try-for-...

gettyimages-1081402144-2048x2048.jpg

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #117 - 04/18/20 at 19:39:10

Yes very good point about the wet. I've intentionally locked the wheel at various speeds and still doing it so I can get the feeling for what amount of pull is the threshold at different speeds. It takes more pull the higher the speed. Road surface is another factor. Eventually with practice it will become instinctive.
But I haven't done it on wet roads yet. I'm sure I'll be wishing for my Ducks ABS then.   Shocked

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #118 - 04/23/20 at 13:59:43

Fork oil change is a success. Less braking dive than my Ducati and much less than old Suzuki forks.
Rode down bad roads and dirt roads intentionally aiming at the gnarliest potholes I could find and there's only harshness at parking lot speeds. At highway speeds it just floats.
Beats the Suzuki forks by far.

New rotors and pads coming tomorrow. Will be good to go soon.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #119 - 04/29/20 at 09:05:57

Rotors got lost in the mail awhile but finally turned up. The pads got here awhile ago.

I've never done bedding in with new rotors and pads at the same time. Anything different in the process compared to only new pads?

20200429_113633_HDR1.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.