Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Screeching sound, weird noise on shifting into fir (Read 329 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Screeching sound, weird noise on shifting into
Reply #30 - 10/23/18 at 11:56:40

Listen to Dave!!!

Here is the issue.  It sounds like a rod knock (to me), but you have to take the top end apart to confirm this.  (Before doing so, confirm the other items suggested are not the issue.)  Since there is no upper bearing (which kills me to know) you will most likely find that the piston pin and the rod are damaged.  Now, the cheapish top end job I suggested you might get by on has turned into a full teardown and more parts.  At that point, or maybe at this point, you might be better off buying another motor or donor bike.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #31 - 10/23/18 at 11:59:36

jjthejetplane wrote on 10/23/18 at 11:41:43:
One last question-Say I am unable to get this repair done in the next wk. How much damage am I looking at if I ride it until I can replace the (potentially damaged) crankshaft and bearings.
-----------------

If the noise is what I think it is.  I would NOT ride it at all.  If that rod snaps it will destroy the engine and it could lock up.  If that thing locks up while you are riding it, it could kill you.  The rear wheel could lock up and there is no guarantee that pulling in the clutch will save you.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 10/23/18 at 12:10:32

Enough said.

I was told by the master mechanic here and my boss,
" sounds like a rod knocking, ride it til it dies"
I don't want to die with it. Thanks.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #33 - 10/23/18 at 12:13:51

Yeah, they are idiots (in matters of riding motorcycles).  Tell them to go out on the highway and lock up the rear wheel at 60.  No clutch and no letting off the rear brake.  If they live to tell you about it ask them what's in their underwear.

In a car, yes, I even did it once, but not a motorcycle.  I use to race motocross and when things lock up, you usually hit the ground.  (Sometimes you can pull the clutch and roll out...sometimes.)  No as big a deal in the dirt without cars around you.  Out on the road?? I pray it never happens to me out there.  

It sounds like you need transportation.  If I were in your shoes, I would confirm the easy suggestions like the flywheel bolt is not the problem.   If it's not, I would buy the first  $1000-$1500 used Savage I could find.  You will likely be putting $1000 plus in your bike plus downtime.  You will have transportation and you can then swap motors or your custom parts to build the bike you want.  When you are done, you can part out the rest on here and recoup the bulk of your money.  Folks on here are always looking for good seats, gas tanks, side covers, forks, engine parts, etc.

« Last Edit: 10/23/18 at 13:16:40 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 10/23/18 at 13:41:22

It had water in it.
I'd dump the oil into a clean container and run a magnet through it.
If it only gets noisy when you put it in gear, that sounds like clutch issues.
Does it try to walk forward?
Does it continue to screech if you're rolling in gear?
Does it sound like it's not healthy revving it up in neutral?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 10/24/18 at 05:17:15

It does not creep forward. There is no knocking coming from.the clutch cover at all. With the stethoscope, all agree that the sound is coming from.the top left end. Realized that my head cap nut was loose but my battery keeps dying(thinking there is a draw somewhere) so, once I shut it off, I left it to charge til morning. And with the stethoscope in hand, the techs are now saying my engine itself sounds fine. So, once I get a break at work today, I'm going to take the cap off, start it up, and listen for any knocking.
Is it possible that the bike needed to be run a bit? Or maybe the cap was the source... I'll let you know shortly.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 10/24/18 at 05:21:07

Also, once the bike is being ridden and at higher rpms, the screeching would disappear. I would only hear the sound again as I was downshifting into first.
Shifting out of neutral into first and my shifter is vibrating and hard shifting down. This was two days ago when I tried to take it around the lot to listen to it. It died at the bottom of the hill so I couldnt investigate further. The battery went kaput. Charged it all night and came back to a still dark bike. I plugged it into another charger and it read at 100%. At which point, I started it while still plugged into the charger to listen with the stethoscope.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #37 - 10/24/18 at 05:24:25

That would be awesome if that's all it was.  That's why you should always listen to Dave's advice first!  Make sure you cover the simple things before moving on to the doomsdayer's advice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 10/24/18 at 07:28:34

Still recommend dumping the oil into a clean container and running a magnet through it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/24/18 at 10:28:39

cap off and I can still hear the tapping at the top left side of the engine and top left of the crankcase.
i am thinking valve adjustment. I didn't hear anything on the right side of the bike at all besides the echoes.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #40 - 10/24/18 at 10:37:37

That's the right idea.  Check the valve adjustment, adjust if needed. If it takes care of it great.  If not move along to the next item.  (I'm still convinced it's a rod knock based on how loud it is, but that's just an educated guess.)

If/once you solve the knocking issue, follow JOG's advice and change the oil again to get rid of any contaminants.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 10/24/18 at 11:11:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2t-v77ejpA

Anyone familiar with this bike? It's the only one I've found with a similar sound. I'm going to have the techs check it out again sans cap.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 10/24/18 at 12:10:23

If you Can't hear the valves, they are too tight.

IDK if the decompression setup can play into this.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 10/24/18 at 13:09:37

Just had the tech over and we went thru the bike with the stethoscope listening to it idle, listening at the clutch cover, the crank, the cylinder head, etc. His conclusion is it is coming from the shiftshaft transmission. He cannot tell me what this means as he is not familiar with the bike.

He had me put the bike into first and listened again at the shift shaft transmission and said that the rattling is definitely coming from there. he said it does not sound like a rod knock . Up until i started revving the bike a bit, he didnt hear the "knock". At higher rpms, the sound is more pronounced.

I have to wait until tmrw to do the valve adjustment now. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the shift shaft transmission does and how it may relate to this noise?

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 10/24/18 at 13:10:14

also, I have the old oil from my last oil change a few days ago. I will run a magnet over that tmrw and see what i find.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 19:07:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Screeching sound, weird noise on shifting into fir

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.