Wild wild west... (Read 415 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Wild wild west...
Reply #30 - 05/22/18 at 07:07:04

I heard from fellow students interviews on the day of the shooting, that a coach and some of the victims had bullied the shooter. (as well as the girl who rebuffed his advances, which IS SAD. If you have not been bullied all through school you have no idea how painful it can be, and ranting about getting over it is about as silly as telling war vets with PTSD to get over it, or football players who drool at 30 years of age due to concussions to get over it.  Teenagers especially do no think long term, or about possible futures..only the Hell they feel they are in at the moment.  Ya know, pistols were once called equalizers  because the smallest wimp could dispatch the biggest bully.  (ps not condoning, just observing) Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 05/22/18 at 07:56:53

I know exactly what it's like to be on the receiving end of it.
I never shot the people who tormented me.

Maybe it's time for some of these teachers to start seeing these children who are not fitting in and spending time with them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 05/22/18 at 07:57:46

Trippah wrote on 05/22/18 at 07:07:04:
Teenagers especially do no think long term, or about possible futures..only the Hell they feel they are in at the moment.

This is a clinical truth...
Perhaps why they are useful in war.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #33 - 05/22/18 at 08:07:56

W.M.  brought up: ‘pecking order’.

The, ‘pecking order’, is everywhere. Kindergarten/playground, on up to Nursing Homes. It something humans learn to deal with, and where they are in that ‘order’.

It is when a group decides to ‘Fix’ a problem, which is Not a problem, the problems start occurring.

The person that is Bullied has a personality trait, which ‘invites’, bulling.  And it is regardless, of any other traits that person has.
Observed Reality, 51 years ago, a boy’s boarding school.  Out of 350 kids in the freshman class, two were, Queer.  (What a male who likes sex with another male was called then).  How the 14 +/-  year old's knew 348 were straight, and 2 were queer, Don’t know, just did.  Anyway, one of them was a limp noodle, (that person was Bullied). The other was a person, who stood up for himself, and had, at first, a few fistfights. (Like about 60+% of the rest, to establish a, ‘pecking order’) That queer, was still a queer, and called so, but it never bothered him, or anyone else.

Today a ‘pecking order’ is avoided at all costs.  Yes, all men are created equal, shall be treated as such, and shall have the same rights, yet they are not all the same.   Just as some are tall, some are short, some are fat/skinny, red/brown/black/blond hair, etc.  People have different personalities and traits.

Yet when, everyone gets a Participation Trophy,  they are not learning how to mesh into society.  So those, ‘young’, who have learned to say: ‘gimme’, and they get what they want right now, and the ‘old’, who have learned, ‘work hard’, are Not meshing with each other.

Now is one correct ?  Looking back at history for 225 years, the ‘working hard’ had less problems, than the last 25 where the, ‘gimme’, is now the norm, because a group, ‘fixed’ what was, not, broke.  

So, which path to move forward on ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/22/18 at 08:34:07

Serowbot wrote on 05/22/18 at 07:57:46:
Trippah wrote on 05/22/18 at 07:07:04:
Teenagers especially do no think long term, or about possible futures..only the Hell they feel they are in at the moment.

This is a clinical truth...
Perhaps why they are useful in war.

Absolutely correct. It's why boys die in more accidents than girls too. We aren't the brightest bulbs in the house....

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 05/22/18 at 08:37:05

MnSpring wrote on 05/22/18 at 08:07:56:
W.M.  brought up: ‘pecking order’.

The, ‘pecking order’, is everywhere. Kindergarten/playground, on up to Nursing Homes. It something humans learn to deal with, and where they are in that ‘order’.

It is when a group decides to ‘Fix’ a problem, which is Not a problem, the problems start occurring.

The person that is Bullied has a personality trait, which ‘invites’, bulling.  And it is regardless, of any other traits that person has.
Observed Reality, 51 years ago, a boy’s boarding school.  Out of 350 kids in the freshman class, two were, Queer.  (What a male who likes sex with another male was called then).  How the 14 +/-  year old's knew 348 were straight, and 2 were queer, Don’t know, just did.  Anyway, one of them was a limp noodle, (that person was Bullied). The other was a person, who stood up for himself, and had, at first, a few fistfights. (Like about 60+% of the rest, to establish a, ‘pecking order’) That queer, was still a queer, and called so, but it never bothered him, or anyone else.

Today a ‘pecking order’ is avoided at all costs.  Yes, all men are created equal, shall be treated as such, and shall have the same rights, yet they are not all the same.   Just as some are tall, some are short, some are fat/skinny, red/brown/black/blond hair, etc.  People have different personalities and traits.

Yet when, everyone gets a Participation Trophy,  they are not learning how to mesh into society.  So those, ‘young’, who have learned to say: ‘gimme’, and they get what they want right now, and the ‘old’, who have learned, ‘work hard’, are Not meshing with each other.

Now is one correct ?  Looking back at history for 225 years, the ‘working hard’ had less problems, than the last 25 where the, ‘gimme’, is now the norm, because a group, ‘fixed’ what was, not, broke.  

So, which path to move forward on ?

There's a lot of truth in that, a lot. Boys are being pushed into being anything but what boys are. Is it possible that by trying to 'civilize' boys, we are taking away necessary ingredients & experiences that are vital to making men?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #36 - 05/22/18 at 09:13:43

What you are both saying is that it is impossible to change human nature... Boys will be boys.
Given this,... are you saying we must accept that bullying will happen and that some will become mass shooters?...
Are we throwing up our hands?...

If so,... the remedy must be sought elsewhere.
Which supports restrictions on access the tools of choice.
Does it not?...
Teen suicides, and mass school shooters are both products of undeveloped minds with access to lethality.

What do you suggest?...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 05/22/18 at 10:01:08

Why didn't we see the level of shootings in the 1950's? Boys were boys back then. Guns were as common if not more so back then. Why? Why is this a relatively recent phenomenon? Is it movies with more graphic violence? Video games? Prescription drugs? Less defined gender roles? All of these?

I don't know what to suggest, but I do know more gun laws are not the answer and neither is tossing aside one of the original Amendments. And again, a lot of the public figures involved are far more interested in scoring political points than saving lives. Again, if saving lives were the goal, we'd instantly ban cell phones and save 10 times as many lives.

Limited access entrances in high schools seems to be one easy step. We did it on every airplane. Can't do that as much on colleges.

My guns are secured. It would take an adult 15 minutes with an axe and grinder to get mine. How about months long PSAs about gun safes? Forget trigger locks, push safes and cabinets.

I like setting goals for qualified and armed teachers and administrators.

I also think something like the Boy Scouts. Of course the Feds would get involved and screw it up but somehow boys need to grow into men. I realize that suggestion is ambiguous and hard to define.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #38 - 05/22/18 at 10:05:18

Thank you Serow,  was hoping this conversation would lead to a  reasonable point - which is if you cannot control the teenage male mind (and even cute girls have trouble with this issue) then you need to control access to weapons that will allow him to kill many.  If every teenage boy had a PAD (Personal Atomic Device) there would be a lot of mushrooms in America.

(Excluding for the moment the 5 year old mind that is "leading" us.)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #39 - 05/22/18 at 10:30:49

WebsterMark wrote on 05/22/18 at 10:01:08:

I don't know what to suggest, but I do know more gun laws are not the answer and neither is tossing aside one of the original Amendments.  

Why is it that all options are on the table, but one?...
And that one is the single one that can be pointed to in America's huge global lead in school shootings.
American children are 80 times more likely to be murdered in school than children of other western nations...

At the least,... restricting gun purchase to over 21,... and making parents criminally responsible for their children’s access to their weapons.
At the very least.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 05/22/18 at 10:31:13

Why should I listen to the people who have been Wrong at every step?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #41 - 05/22/18 at 10:35:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/22/18 at 10:31:13:

Why do you participate here?...
Just to hear your own voice?...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 05/22/18 at 10:57:58

Why is it that all options are on the table, but one?...
It is on the table and has been. We have hundreds of gun laws. This kid broke numerous laws. Why would you think one more law will do something? Or are you thinking not just a law but using a law  as a method to prevent gun ownership?

And that one is the single one that can be pointed to in America's huge global lead in school shootings.
What thing? That we have more guns? or we have more gun laws?

American children are 80 times more likely to be murdered in school than children of other western nations...
And as I've heard you say about the likelihood of being killed by a terrorist, it's a tiny fraction of the population so there's no logical reason to restrict immigration. So can't I say it's a tiny fraction of our population so there's no reason to restrict our second amendment rights?

At the least,... restricting gun purchase to over 21,...
Would not agree. What are you going to do about the military? Can't join until you're 21? Sure, you don't technically own the weapons but still.
How many school shooters legally purchased the gun they used? Sandy Hook? No. Florida; I'm not sure. Sante Fe? No. So would that really do anything?

and making parents criminally responsible for their children’s access to their weapons.

Aren't parents already criminally responsible for children's access? I would say in all states they are 100% civilly responsible.

At the very least.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 05/22/18 at 10:59:17

Serowbot wrote on 05/22/18 at 10:35:09:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/22/18 at 10:31:13:

Why do you participate here?...
Just to hear your own voice?...

I think Jog's point is we've been "addressing" school shootings since Columbine and seemingly nothing's changed so why would we continue to do what we've been doing which is more laws?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #44 - 05/22/18 at 11:09:49

And so it will continue...

Beware when Democrats gain control of both hoses and the WH... as the Pub's have it now.
The inaction being taken now, will have consequences...
The pendulum will swing heavy...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 08:49:33

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Wild wild west...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.