Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings. (Read 3593 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Savage Events for 2018
Reply #210 - 02/07/18 at 09:14:52

I don't think I'll need to bring Tn. ammo to Florida !   Wink   Just buy a brick when we get ready to run to the range !    The Folks in Florida must be Very Well Armed --- to support that many gun shops  " Florida might just be the most polite State in the union" !   Cool

I don't need to be motorcycle shoping either .  Sometimes I think I'd enjoy a Suzuki DR200 as much as any other bike there is.
But  
I may just put the trunk ,GPS , and whindshield back on the Harley and run it to BikeWeek ???    The SuperSlab is where it really shines the best anyway.

The Rear tire on the Guzzi has maybe 1500 miles left on it , not quite enough for  a week long ride.  I'd like to get it wore out before trashing it.   Maybe a trip to Suches Ga. ?   Roll Eyes  

The Savage is ready to go on a 15,000+ miles trip with the tires that are on it.  And it needs nothing but an Oil Change might be a good thing to do , its' still got the 20w50 from last summer and this cold weather has the clutch slipping till the motor warms up.

Nice to have a choice .   Huh

There is not a lot of chance that Suzuki will have a DR200  ready to do a couple laps around the speedway !   Grin Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #211 - 02/07/18 at 12:13:47

Ed got up with me by PM, he is going out of town with the wife on a promised camping trip so he is "out of town" at this time.

Bad Wolf is communicating conversationally on several threads and wanted to know more firmly when we are coming down to Depuis.

Suzuki America is bringing the bikes to trial ride at Bike Week, not the local dealerships.  Nobody local knows what they are bringing ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #212 - 02/07/18 at 13:32:03

OldFeller

Have you looked at the Calendar of Events ?

http://officialbikeweek.com/event-detail/Free-Sober-Clean-Hog-Roast-and-Live-...

Some of this stuff might be Fun , even without being DRUNK !  Grin

Perhaps , we might have two camp ground , one for the big tent and one for the "Don't want to ride all the way back to S.Fl. " days.   If spots are still available .    

Starting tomorrow will be our mirror image weather picture start.  Roll Eyes
------------------------------------------------------------
http://officialbikeweek.com/event-detail/Bike-Week-Annual-Bike-Blessing/
Here is one for a free pancake breakfast !

---------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't check out any of this stuff in 2014 ...  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #213 - 02/07/18 at 13:43:13

OldFeller ,

I'm thinking maybe I should try to get us a Tent Site around Daytona for Friday the 9th and Sat. the 10th.    Then move on to South Fl. for the rest of the week for sight-seeing.

I'll see what I can find and get back with ya before I "Lock in" .

http://bikeweekcampground.com/

I'll spring for the CampGround ,

Last time you paided up front and it rained  so "Let's leave you $$$ out

of it this time "   Grin

----------------------------------------------------------

I should get the same campground for Friday the 16th for our trip north so we can be their for the "Burning Bike" event and get a head-start the next morning back to the other campsite that is only 500 miles from home.  (Where I meet ya on the 8th).  

You got the GPS information for the camp (8th Mar.) and ( 17th) .?

Had to compress the picture but the original is on the above web page , just scroll down on it.

« Last Edit: 02/07/18 at 15:06:00 by MMRanch »  

burning_bike.jpg

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #214 - 02/07/18 at 19:11:42

Somehow I figured you were gonna wind up wanting to go do various Bike Week events once you started looking at them.

Having stuff scattered about in two different campgrounds unattended half the time means the likelihood stuff will get stolen goes up a lot.    Still, I guess it is a known risk and my small tent and your small tent aren't that expensive to replace.   Mebbe we could arrange to leave stuff at the camp attendant's cubby behind a locked door since he's got one .....

I think I would regret losing the "packs small" fat man's camp chair more as it cost 3x what my small tent did.   But I see what you are up to -- having your cake and eating it too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #215 - 02/07/18 at 19:31:39

We are a month out and Mike has begun casting chicken bones and mirroring one month to the next in his normal farmer's almanac style.    

Although modern weather technology lets you down quite frequently in regards to weather predictions, you can look at these and realize that Florida has somewhat different weather down near Miami as compared to Daytona Beach as compared to Jacksonville way up north.

What counts now to us is the general large slow moving cloud masses, so when all three areas say the same thing, it is worth paying some attention to -- especially when 1-2 weeks out when the forecast gets a lot more real.

What is good about this trip is NO MONEY IS TIED UP IN STAYING ANYWHERE at this point in time.   WE ARE FLEXIBLE.

.... and Mike, you should avoid plunking down funds until you know what the weather is going to be.

Meet up area by Lake City Florida, near Jacksonville.    Dates May 8th and May 16-17

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lake-city-fl/32055/month/332305?monyr=3/01/...

Not too encouraging at this point.   Thursday and Friday and Monday and Tuesday are RAIN OUT days.

Daytona Beach area (Bike Week area)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/daytona-beach-fl/32114/month/328173?monyr=3...

Sunday Monday Tuesday are RAIN OUT days

Down by DuPuis / Indiantown (main camping place)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/indiantown-fl/34956/month/15185_pc?monyr=3/...    

Monday Tuesday are RAIN OUT days

Results are really still too vague to get overly excited over, but they are there for your viewing pleasure ......     We know they shift some two weeks out, and become much more specific for days and amounts of precipitation.  We also know that the general big patterns don't go completely away, and Sun Mon Tues look to be WET at this time.

Having taken the "camp for free" philosophy,  normally we would just consider perhaps shifting weeks or tuning the show up day.   Problem this time is that BIKE WEEK is a fixed time span event, so now we are faced with deciding to go or not to go.    

If it is days of solid rain, guess who ain't gonna be there .....     Tongue

Consider dumping the Bike Week events if the weather is dubious, aim at a different clear week for the first of the year snowbird trip or else mebbe try to hit a span of days that just touch only the good part of Bike Week (if such exists).

"Camp for free" gives you flexibility you don't get normally.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #216 - 02/07/18 at 20:22:01

I'm somewhat leery of not getting a campsite if I don't lock in early.   I'm thinking 9th, 10th , and 16th. in Daytona .... 11th,12th,13th,14th,15th in South FL.   With the 8th and 17th in Lake City.

Is only $15.oo a night , so I'll  lock in a camp site for those three night.  

Never  two camps at a time .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I updateing my rain suit !  Roll Eyes

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #217 - 02/07/18 at 20:28:18

You are talking about plunking down $45 to reserve camp spots on days that it is going to be raining.

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #218 - 02/07/18 at 20:30:24

Just did it 10 mins. ago ...  All us weather people are only guessing anyway !  Grin

As long as it ain't COLD and WET , I can deal with it , I might want to bring my full face helmet instead of my little one ?  Smiley

Have you got a pair of Rain-Boot-Covers yet ?    It really makes a difference if your shoes stay dry.    My old Frog Coat has had it so I'll get a new one , but the pants are still good and I replaced my torn boot covers last year.  
We might have to take turns helping each other get them boot covers on .... I can barley reach mine anymore !  Grin Grin Grin

I've learned to "Suit-up" before it rains and everything will be alright  !  Wink

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #219 - 02/07/18 at 20:36:23

The boy operates off of FAITH, that's his modus operandi.

Sounds like Mike plans to go to Bike Week irregardless -- in the rain if it needs be.

If it is days of solid rain, guess who ain't gonna be there .....     Tongue

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #220 - 02/07/18 at 20:40:00

Amen brother

If its Cold  AND  Wet , I'll recon the Good Lord wants me to wait .  

I'm sure there is a mission trip built into every outing .  even if its only a word to a stranger at the right time .    

I see you doing the same thing as you go about too !    Sometimes it may only be that "Grin" you wear most of the time , but there ain't no denighing it --- I've seen the wake of grins you leave behind sometimes .
Cool

I'm glad your feeling better too.  Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #221 - 02/08/18 at 04:33:10

Now, while still being supportive and all, the crowds at the events will be thinned out considerably by the drizzly weather.   Most sane folks will simply take a look at it early and try to cancel their reservations and find out that their money is gone (it is a motorcycle event and they want to make almost as much $$ off you for cancelling as for going).

Now, how much rain and how cold is it going to be (ie can you survive by dressing in $150 worth of insulated rain gear).

Cold is down as low as 73o daytime and 46o at night up at Jacksonville.  Dropping down to the mid state level at Daytona, 77o daytime and 54o at night.   Rain duration is 5.5 hours and the amounts are 0.34 inches so we are talking about a drizzly constantly on off cold misty light rain and then it thunderstorms occasionally and really dumps some wet really fast.

You are talking about riding around in this and CAMPING out in it.   Der Wif has said HELL NO, that she isn't going to be nursing me through a bout of early retirement motorcycle pneumonia for going and doing something stupid like that.  Love that support, honey.

Can this forecast change?   Yes, it can get better, or it can get worse.    The Forecast people get pressured by the BIG Events people to make as optimistic a forecast as they can possibly make as Bike Week is a really big revenue generator for the area and this is their industry -- Tourism.  

So they do fudge it to the positive as much as they can.

Last spring we watched forecasts in the touristy NC mountains go get better and better until the day before the event and then they had to post EMERGENCY FLOOD WARNINGS right over the top of their overly optimistic BS stuff.

CAN IT ALL TURN AROUND AND BE BEAUTIMUS?     Yes, but not very likely at this point as we are inside 30 days and they are tracking large building systems "fairly accurately" at this point in time.   Something is coming around the gulf of Mexico aimed at Florida .....

ONE WEEK out then they start projecting out the actual rainfall amounts that they can actually observe coming up over over the gulf coast states as the weather systems roll closer to Florida.   It gets a lot more accurate at that point.    But right now we are holding out for "improvement" as we get tighter inside of two weeks.

Tongue

Today I am going to get out all my new heavy rain gear I purchased last spring and put it all on (shoe booties too) --- and consider if I would really want to wear that stuff for a week taking it on and off and on and off.

FACT:   I need to take the rain stuff out and put it all on, and then actually practice walking around in it in the cold rain wearing my helmet so I can see exactly how hot and sweaty it all gets (new stuff is supposed to breathe better).   Maybe even take a short ride to see exactly where the water gets in if any of the zippers leak .....  go ahead and melt the first set of holes in the pants legs and rip the first crotch seams so you know what you are really really dealing with for ride week protection.

« Last Edit: 02/08/18 at 10:33:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #222 - 02/08/18 at 05:28:28

Weeks of talk about the trip, now talk about no-go cause of some rain --- I am getting flashbacks of last June's trip to KSL.
Unless they say a hirricane is coming that early in the year, (doubtfull) you are talking about spending a week and a half outdoors in Fl., there WILL be some rain.
Put your big boy panties on and pack a rainsuit!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #223 - 02/08/18 at 13:16:57

Unless it's raining buckets.   I'll  "Gear up" and ride.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #224 - 02/08/18 at 16:27:32

Yeah.....I am the wimpy one that likes riding in sunshine! Cool

Last years Kickstand Lodge ordeal had a bit more involved for me.  The weather forecast was a bit intimidating - but the work that got dumped on me just before the scheduled outing was overwhelming.....it really would have been a neglectful situation if I went off and had fun riding while 2 cities were waiting for me to get their street resurfacing projects out to bid.  (That was my last year of being chained to my desk).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:12:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.