Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings. (Read 3593 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Savage Events for 2018
Reply #150 - 01/16/18 at 00:12:43

Yep, the SR400 cam does ride on ball bearings.
# 7 & 8 in the schematic.
I covet  ...........  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #151 - 01/16/18 at 01:59:48

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/weird-news/alligator-battles-python-on-flor...

Naw, let's go here and camp out on the golf course ......

« Last Edit: 01/16/18 at 09:37:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #152 - 01/16/18 at 08:49:42

Speaking of snakes that do not belong in Florida, but are there now and multiplying like crazy due to people losing track of their little pets --- here is the Florida Compendium of Exoitic Snakes that can be found while camping.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/visual-id/

This is my favorite, came over in ornamental flower pots shipped from God knows where in South Asia (or inside the asian women carrying the flower pots as the case may be) has over 20 different names in as many exotic locals, likes to find a warm body orifice to crawl into as it really likes living in moist warm spaces where it only partially extends while you are sleeping, extending itself fully as an adult only when mating or laying eggs.   (the more parasitical variants of this class of snakes are found to be completely asexual, reproducing as hermaphrodites while giving birth to live infants en situ).

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/list/indotyphlops-bra...

The adult is the size of a small fishing worm and the fresh hatched infant and the young adolescent stages are flat out TINY and can be found in various body locations as noted in the latin names below.   This snake has a burrowing pointed tail and can back itself into tear ducts, eustachian tubes and other unlikely places where it grows to maturity feeding off of body secretions.  

(this is less than half of the total list of names, it appears each time a doctor runs across it in his medical practice he winds up giving it a brand new latin "discovery name" based on where he found it)

Ophthalmidium tenue – HALLOWELL 1861
Typhlops (Typhlops) inconspicuus – JAN 1863
Typhlops (Typhlops) euproctus – BOETTGER 1882
Typhlops limbrickii – ANNANDALE 1906
Glauconia braueri – STERNFELD 1910
Typhlops pseudosaurus – DRYDEN & TAYLOR 1969
Typhlina braminus – MCDOWELL 1974
Ramphotyphlops braminus – NUSSBAUM 1980

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/list/indotyphlops-bra...

..... rest well, MM     Smiley     sleeping in them riding googles and ear plugs will certainly help slow them baby snakes down some, but then they'll just make a quick run down at your shorts .....

« Last Edit: 01/16/18 at 10:26:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #153 - 01/16/18 at 10:50:33

What colors do those tight fitting Speedo's come in again !   Embarrassed

Oh yea , OldFeller , Thanks for looking these things up for us , I don't know how I ever would have gotten a good nights sleep without knowing these things are out there waiting !  
The first question that comes to mind is --- Do they like to hide in Motel room Carpet too ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #154 - 01/16/18 at 11:06:24

A few years ago I spent some time on the landscaping in my father inlaw's yard in Sarasota.  As he got older he couldn't get all his yard work done - so one visit at Christmas I was determined to get his yard work all caught up.

I found out you can't be a gardener in FL and be afraid of snakes....I found 6 snakes while working in his yard.  One was buried in the sand and was the  Blind snake that Oldfeller posted, another one was a Ring neck snake that was black with a yellow stripe around the neck.  Two of the snakes were really strange as their body didn't taper and they fought like crazy when I first picked them up....then they went stiff and remained motionless - turns out they were not really snakes at all and were "legless lizards".  One other snakes was a common Garter snake - nothing to get worried about.  The last one really gave me a thrill when I picked up a concrete block and a red/yellow/black snake fell out of it........I didn't know if it was a Coral snake - or a King snake.  I tried to figure out the old rhyme - however I just decided that snake didn't need to be picked up and let wander out of the yard on it's own!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #155 - 01/16/18 at 11:15:38

One was buried in the sand and was the  Blind snake that Oldfeller posted,

So , I need to do a couple "Donuts" through the camp-site I'm putting my tent on , just to see if there are "Visitors" buryed / waiting on some-one to "Visit" them ???    Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #156 - 01/16/18 at 12:14:55

Roll Eyes    

They say having lots of fire ant mounds arrayed nearby are the best protection against them nocturnal wandering blind snakes ......

« Last Edit: 01/16/18 at 23:23:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #157 - 01/16/18 at 13:23:23

They say you should lay a lariat around your camp.
In this case I would say soak it in kerosene and light it.
Let 'm crawl over that.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #158 - 01/16/18 at 23:16:01

Rest easy,  Mike .....

The main campground we are going to has a gaggle of peacocks in residence, they gobble up any wigglies they find about -- worm, snake, centipede, makes no difference to them flashy feathered chickens.   It all tastes like a snack to them.

Problem is your toes and fingers wiggle and tend to look edible to them too .....

===================================================

All done fixing up the new Lyman press.   Got my 8" arm and my 14" arm all made up and installed/ready.  

Thought here is the 8" arm is all handy & quick, and whenever I get a stuck case when doing rough sizing work or whatever I pull out the long handle and then request the stuck case become "unstuck" ASAP using jest the proper amount of extra persuasional leverage.

Now I have to clean up the little lathe and put the normal "turning/cutting" gears back in the gearbox and proceed to the next stage of the endless project list.

Grin

« Last Edit: 01/17/18 at 10:29:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20180117_094810022.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #159 - 01/17/18 at 07:17:21

Don't  peacocks taste like chicken ?    Tongue

If we can't find enough of them (fancy Chickens) we can just get some from Krogers !  Wink

I might have to bring my air bed so I'll have room for an easy chair !

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #160 - 01/17/18 at 08:56:55

OldFeller  , that short bar looks like a good idea !   For things like seating bullets and crimping cases all that power my long armed press has isn't needed.    Fact is the only time I need that extra power is : DE capping Military brass.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #161 - 01/17/18 at 09:08:12

why not just choke up on the lever?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #162 - 01/17/18 at 10:09:25

verslagen1 wrote on 01/17/18 at 09:08:12:
why not just choke up on the lever?

90%+ of what you do would be "choked short" --- that is why the short arm is the primary arm and it is designed for COMFORT as the same hand is correctly placed to slide in a new case into the shell holder or to remove one as is needed.   Your hand motion is only 2" to get to the case once you finish your up down motion.    

Also, ergo sez you don't twist your wrist sideways to do a force generating move as that can lead to hand joint / shoulder damage.  Your most comfortable forceful moves are palm down simple grip and pull moves, not sideways wrist twisted awkward grip moves.

Plus the distance of the throw arc is equal or slightly greater than the length of the arm.   The shorter arm saves time for any operations it is strong enough to do and it is a far more natural motion than using the long arm.

Lastly, an old style Lyman press runs off a Luger style toggle action to get its leverage/mechanical force advantage.   It generates maximum mechanical advantage (compression) at the toggle over point, and it generates maximum ram speed as it approaches a 90o handle angle.

There are lots of reasons why the short handle is the primary handle, and I am pretty sure the only time the big handle ever comes out is on a stuck (improperly lubed) case.

« Last Edit: 01/17/18 at 14:40:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #163 - 01/17/18 at 10:41:57

Ok, my arbor press is mounted to the side so I can grab the lever anywhere I want... but I only use it a few times a day.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #164 - 01/17/18 at 11:01:01

The swing on mine old RBC (RBS?) press has what must be 120 deg. swing and the ball on the end of the arm is the most comfortable  grab place.  
Which reminds me I've got about 100 Swish 5.55 cases that need bullets and about 50 of them need powder too.   I found some 30 cal. jacked bullets to put in them.   OldFeller were those you left here 150 grs. ?    If so , this must be them .   We're only going about 2400fps with them , that's fast enough for 200yd flat shooting and mild expansion.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 19:20:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.