Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings. (Read 3593 times)
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Savage Events for 2018
Reply #135 - 01/10/18 at 19:56:37

No one can have a firearm unless you are legally hunting. A normal license and you must go thru a draw or lottery. Just bring some 22's I will supply you with something to use them in. And something that makes a lot more noise. We have the best steel range in Fla.
The land is owned by S.Fla. Water Management but the critters are managed by Fish & Game.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #136 - 01/10/18 at 20:09:30

I thought the Dragons in Florida have four legs and long tails and go by the Gator name !    Grin

So OldFeller , your bring the Barcalounger with all that fuel avaible ?

« Last Edit: 01/10/18 at 21:47:44 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #137 - 01/10/18 at 23:43:19

On a civilized trip down I-95 with tons of gas stations I don't need the extra fuel capacity, so I may take out the jugs and just use the bags as bags.

I dunno, got to pull the jugs anyway for inspection time, so might be slack about putting them back in.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #138 - 01/11/18 at 09:44:26

OldFeller ,

That Barcalounge holds a lot of fuel anyway don't it ?

If the rear tire on the guzzi looks like it might have 3000 more miles on it by March then I'll bring it .   Its got 3,200 ish now and is half gone already (Sport Demon) , I won't ever buy one of them !   I'm thinking Avon Road Ridder , I've run them on the front before and they dry rot before they wear out.   On the rear I don't think that will be a problem !  Grin

The Sportster would be a good ridding comrade for your Barcalounge .   I've put the stock suspension back on it , and Florida is flat enough that dragging in the twisty should not be an issue .  Wink   Its got a 4.5 gal tank w/50-55mpg.

« Last Edit: 01/11/18 at 20:52:59 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #139 - 01/11/18 at 17:45:55

3.5 gallons

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #140 - 01/11/18 at 18:41:22

I gots me a problem.

For the last longest I have been watching Ebone for an inexpensive junker cast iron reloading press.   Yeah, I know, they wind up getting bid up to  $70-$80 raw and around $100 shipped, no matter how badly rusted, etc.  

I've got me a HUGE  .50 caliber capable LEE cast iron press but it is too large and awkward for any smallish depriming job.   I have an old Lee turret that I have been using for light jobs, but I dislike putting "bulk brass" preparation work loads on it as I am gonna wear the aluminum main body and the toggle system out if I keep on using it for that.

Back to the endless hunt for a "decent enough" press, ya gotta watch out if they actually work on the downstroke instead of upstroke and what sort of shell holders they use and if they have the priming arms (if obsolete these are quite expensive when you find one) etc.

So, this puppy cycled down Ebone like 2-3 times, occasionally perhaps being bought and returned for something or another.  It had no lever and it had no priming arm and I suspected since the guy would never post a pic of the ram in the up position that it was rusted from storage.

He finally dropped the "Buy it now" price to$ 69 and bought a primer arm for it and it cycled through again with no takers.

So, I made him a low ball offer, and he took it.   $40 and he pays the shipping.   This actually worked out to $22 for the press and $18 which is about standard for shipping for a cast iron press.

So, here she is physically at my house and I've got me an issue now on the brighter side of things ......   she's jest too purty to be used as a junker press for depriming and resizing tons & tons of that ugly nasty old mil-surp brass.  

Had some caked dried lube and dust on her, but no rust underneath the dust and lube residue.   The heat treat black isn't even worn through on the ram, so I kinda doubt the press got used for very much by the original owner.  And I did verify that that set screw retains a standard X class shell holder (the modern shell holder standard).

THERE IS A TRAP WHEN DEALING WITH OLD ANTIQUE PRESS TOOLS, they tend to stop being tools and become "collectables".   Some old reloaders fall for this and start collecting variants of their favorite old style presses.

Take a good look at this "really too purty" one -- from now on it is going to get all dirty and abused.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 01/11/18 at 20:53:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20180111_205857871.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #141 - 01/11/18 at 21:02:35

Smiley

I've got RBC's version of that LAYMEN of your.   dad bought it when I was 19 years old and its the only one I've ever used.   I used to get them little primers out one at a time and put them in the little holder thing ... Then I discovered a Lee Auto Prime ... I've never looked back.  

still use the single stage press and I guess it will last longer than I will !  Wink

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #142 - 01/11/18 at 21:42:22

I always use the hand autoprime myself, but since the boy took the trouble to go buy a primer arm and then sold me the press for less than twice as much as the new primer arm cost him I figured I'd do him right and include it in the picture.

I bought a package of 4 balls and I am going to make up several lengths of handles, one will be 14" long for heavy work, the next will be 10" long for moderate work and if the 10" isn't handy enough I'll make up a shorter one.

Handles will be T6 aircraft hardened 1/2" aluminum rod which is a lot stronger than I am, the balls will be round black plastic at an inch and a half in diameter.

My handles will never ever get rusty and look ugly.   I may sand them to a consistent pretty fine finish like I did those risers on the Barcalounger but I may feel that is gilding the lilly as the heat treat finish on the aluminum is consistent and pleasant to look at.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #143 - 01/12/18 at 08:44:12

I just canceled my gate 1 rev. and got a gate 3 rev. so we are good-to-go for 2 more people and 2 more bikes at gate 3 .   Wink   9th -15th Mar.

the more the merrier !

Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #144 - 01/12/18 at 10:39:29

Nice press Oldfeller, I've been using a Lyman Spartan which I bought years ago for $20.00. Use it and give it life.
 I also just scored a Hertzer model 3 for resizing my rifle brass, it's a beast. Nothing wrong with the old stuff, cast iron rules!!

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #145 - 01/12/18 at 20:55:35

Ed, is there anything worth going to to see at Bike Week?    I know it is all old hat to you, but that means you likely know what the most worthwhile parts actually are.

I also find it interesting that all four of us are gun nuts ..... and 3 of us reload (Bad Wolf hasn't fessed up to that addiction yet).

Where in your state is worth visiting?   I know Kel Tec CNC is in Coca, Florida but what other neat things are worth visiting (other than Bad Wolf's steel range).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #146 - 01/12/18 at 21:29:10

Reload? I have about a ton of cast tips at home. Yes.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #147 - 01/13/18 at 02:57:16

Now if Ed admits to casting his own bullets we would be four for four on having our full gun nut credentials.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #148 - 01/13/18 at 08:33:37

I've only compiled 20 something molds , from .224 to .502 sizes .  

Smiley

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #149 - 01/15/18 at 21:37:23

Is it True about ridding/trying out bikes at the speedway ?    I'd kind of like to ride one of those Yamaha SR-400 .    Recently I found out the dealer who told me it has a brush-type alt. was wrong ... They have a permeant magnet like our Savage do , and they have ball bearings for the cam to ride on and only two valves per cylinder  Roll Eyes well only two valves altogether   Grin  

If its true , then what bike would you ride , just for the fun of it ?   Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 07:03:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.