YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #255 - 04/01/18 at 08:12:12

Christof13T wrote on 04/01/18 at 06:28:45:
Acceptable, predictable, on demand afterfiring on decel... I get one crisp afterfire snap if I let the throttle close all the way during quick shifts...

And that is exactly what should happen on a bike that is jetted properly.  When you close the throttle completely, you have shut off the fuel flow from the needle jet........and the fuel mixture is lean as the only fuel is coming from the pilot circuit.

The cure....is to learn how to use your throttle hand - gently roll the throttle off a bit as you shift....don't let the throttle go completely closed.  When decelerating - closing the throttle completely will make the bike noisy......open up the throttle just enough to make the noise go away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #256 - 04/01/18 at 11:20:51

While Dave's advice is good ,but more in tune to his use of the VM carb he has installed , he is forgetting that your using the stock carb . when you close the throttle completely fuel comes from the pilot jet and transient enrichment valve. That valve opens allowing additional fuel when the throttle valve closes. Some members have in the past shortened the spring by cutting coils off one end, removing only about 1/3 of coil at a time ,allowing the valve to open earlier and close later under less vacuum. (go slowly as removing to much will allow the valve to be open all the time)  This may help as you have gone to a larger and higher compression piston which requires more fuel. Keep the cut end at the outside plate so as to not damage the diaphragm. When you get to a point where the exhaust rumbles but  doesn't pop your good.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #257 - 04/01/18 at 14:52:29

For some reason....the TEV valve just isn't able to completely eliminate the lean condition when the throttle is closed.....perhaps because it was created in a time when E10 fuel was not being used, and it may work better if you are using pure gasoline.

Yes...my suggested method works well with the VM carb - but it also works with the stock carb.  The popping/banging during deceleration or shifting is hardly noticeable when the stock muffler is still on the bike - the more open the muffler the more pronounced it becomes.

It is interesting how differently Suzuki and Kawasaki approached the noise issue on deceleration.  Suzuki chose a TEV valve that provides a bit more fuel under high vacuum conditions - while Kawasaki chose to close off the air to the pilot jets under high vacuum conditions....which also allows more fuel (and less air) to flow.  (The Kawasaki method seems to work much better as it never pops/bangs - however on their forum they report the bike gets noisy when the diaphragm does bad).

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #258 - 04/01/18 at 18:12:50

I guess the question is why Chris would be running E10 with his piston being 10.5 :1 ? I'd hope he'd be running 91-93 pure gas just to avoid detonation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #259 - 04/02/18 at 04:03:52

batman wrote on 04/01/18 at 18:12:50:
I guess the question is why Chris would be running E10 with his piston being 10.5 :1 ? I'd hope he'd be running 91-93 pure gas just to avoid detonation.

I don't know about the fuel where Chris or you live......but all of our local gas stations sell E10 in 87, 89 and 91 octane, and we don't really have a way to buy fuel without ethanol.......and to make it worse all the local counties have to use reformulated fuel (Cincinnati metro area).  If you want to go riding around the area and not be restricted to where you go....you have to be willing to accept the fuel that is available where/when it is time to buy fuel.  If you want pure gas in this area you have to go to a marina......and the pumps are out on the docks and not easily accessible for a motorcycle.  If you want fuel that is not reformulated - you have to drive outside the Cincinnati metro area.

Premium E10 is not my fuel of choice and it would be great if I had a workable option - but I have never had any detonation issues when running it.  I do take care to only fill up when my tank is pretty low - as the fuel in the hose of the blender pump is likely to be 87 from the previous person who used the pump.  

« Last Edit: 04/02/18 at 05:34:14 by Dave »  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #260 - 04/02/18 at 08:25:15

Dave ,I can't speak for Chris but here in  N.Y. 87 and 89 are E10 fuels , but 91-93 ( octane dependent on brand) is pure gas , but you shouldn't have it bad with E10 ,just a 3.33% loss in mileage. I live with the same loss in mileage ,my compression being stock, my carb is tuned for E87, using higher octane fuel doesn't change performance, it's just a waste of money.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #261 - 04/02/18 at 09:28:11

batman wrote on 04/02/18 at 08:25:15:
Dave ,I can't speak for Chris but here in  N.Y. 87 and 89 are E10 fuels , but 91-93 ( octane dependent on brand) is pure gas , but you shouldn't have it bad with E10 ,just a 3.33% loss in mileage. I live with the same loss in mileage ,my compression being stock, my carb is tuned for E87, using higher octane fuel doesn't change performance, it's just a waste of money.

Is that a rumor.....or you know it for sure?  A local motorcycle shop swore that a Shell Station in Pendelton County didn't have ethanol in the premium fuel - so I went down to get some and I took a bottle to test it with. The truck that delivers fuel showed up while I was there - and I asked him.  He confirmed that all the fuel has ethanol - the truck delivers 87 and 91 octane and both of them are E10, and the blender pump combines the two octanes to get the mid grade 89.

Here is how you can test fuel to see if it has ethanol in it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1339974217/6#6

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #262 - 04/02/18 at 09:36:22

Dave I live in NY also and at least where I am the 91 and 93 will state ethanol free right on the pump. If it doesn’t state it explicitly I assume it’s not ethanol free. Around here Stewart’s shops all have premium non ethanol so it’s on every corner.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #263 - 04/02/18 at 09:45:54

Pretty much all of the pumps in the area are stickered with 10% ethanol.
I put the 93 stuff in it when it is available.
The lowest it has had in it on this go around was 91.

It got windy bout the same time I felt like going riding yesterday... But the weather looks great right now. I may run out and open it up real quick like on camera and get you fellas' take on how it is performing.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #264 - 04/02/18 at 12:48:59

Dave ,I can confirm what Snels 516 said ,the pumps here are clearly marked ethanol free, A lot of people use it for motorcycles  and snowmobiles and lawn equipment ,etc. but is only high octane, 87&89 are E10

IP Logged
snels516

Reply #265 - 04/02/18 at 12:52:53

batman wrote on 04/02/18 at 12:48:59:
Dave ,I can confirm what Snels 516 said ,the pumps here are clearly marked ethanol free, A lot of people use it for motorcycles  and snowmobiles and lawn equipment ,etc. but is only high octane, 87&89 are E10

Did we just become best friends?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #266 - 04/02/18 at 14:28:28

I don't know,I'm probably old enough to adopt you. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #267 - 04/02/18 at 17:00:12

I'm looking for a daddy and I'm house broke.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #268 - 04/02/18 at 17:12:42

I was house broke , but then I paid off the mortgage!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #269 - 04/02/18 at 17:23:03

Tell me you didn't just intentionally fail to get it.
You're Bat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:11:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.