Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
How cold is too cold..... (Read 539 times)
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How cold is too cold.....
10/20/17 at 08:23:12

Here in Virginia the afternoons have been glorious, clear and mid 70's. But at night it dips to the low 40's. If I want to have the bike after work I have to ride it too work and so I have. With long johns and a leather jacket, full helmet and gloves it is tolerable but I must admit quit brisk.

So I was wondering how cold is to cold for you?????

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: How cold is too cold.....
Reply #1 - 10/20/17 at 08:39:15

Coldest I've ridden in was around 34 degrees. It was in Pennsylvania mid February and I  had a real bad case of cabin fever. I wore thermals, a flannel shirt, heavy sweater and heavy leather and chaps. Probably had about 20 pounds of clothing on. Decided it was a bad idea when I hit a patch of black ice in the shadows, didn't dump the bike but was puckering all the way across the patch.
 After that I parked the bike when the temp dropped below 45 degrees.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/20/17 at 08:39:52

I have ridden in the mid 30's with insulated riding overpants, leather jacket with 3 layers underneath, and balaclava under my helmet. Unfortunately my gloves were not up to the task. Hands were freezing. For the most part if it goes below forty I will only do 5 to 10 minute rides.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/20/17 at 08:49:00

I'm with ED,... 45 is my limit...
...and then I got to be pretty desperate...
More like 50 for realzies... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/20/17 at 08:49:07

I will slowly transition to winter wear to the dead of winter which will break 40 in the morning and high 60's in the afternoon.  
Any colder and it's usually raining anyway and then I'll wear the 4 wheeled helmet.
insulated jacket, riding pants over jeans, heavy gloves and balaclava.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 10/20/17 at 09:10:48

I have left the house at 18 deg. a few times.  That's thermal underwear, jeans, insulated overpants, two or three pairs of socks, t-shirt over thermals, heavy flannel shirt light jacket, heavy jacket, insulated riding jacket, and heavy insulated gloves.

It was still cool but tolerable.  These days I'm like Ed.  Below 45 is too cold unless it's an absolute have to type of deal. As the quality and reliability of my 4-wheeled vehicles as increased over the years since my teens, my tolerance for cold riding has decreased proportionately.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 10/20/17 at 09:18:53

I have ridden in some very cold weather....and it's never fun. I have taken advantage of the occasional warn day in January/February when you get the odd-ball day in the 40's....provided that thee isn't any salt or sand on the ground.

But after many decades of riding I came to this conclusion several years ago; my low temperature threshold always seems to be my age at the time. Think about it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/20/17 at 10:08:46

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 10/20/17 at 09:18:53:
But after many decades of riding I came to this conclusion several years ago; my low temperature threshold always seems to be my age at the time. Think about it.

LOL, If I didn't go out below my age I wouldn't ride much.  Grin

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #8 - 10/20/17 at 10:21:36

When I owned the S40, I typically tried to stay about 40ish since bundling up to ride makes it harder to ride.

With the Vision since it has heated grips and a heated seat, I can drop into the mid 30s but I still need my thick jacket and gloved.

My deciding point isn't the temp, it's frost. It there's frost on the cars, I drive.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/20/17 at 11:06:22

The coldest long ride that I have ever gone on was for the Moonshine Lunch Run and we left at 6AM - it was 41 degrees.  I was really bundled up, and the ST1100 did a good job keeping the wind off my hands.  It warmed up to the high 60's later in the day and the ride home was much nicer - the entire ride was 570 miles...for a hamburger!

I enjoy rides when the temp is 60 and above.....I endure rides when the temperature is 50 and above.....I choose not to ride when it is colder (unless it is just a very short ride).

There may be some heated gear in my future if I make a habit out of riding in colder weather (the Honda has enough juice to power heated gear).  I am sure my wife would be more willing to go on rides with me if she could stay warm - sometimes our Friday night dates result in chilly rides home.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 10/20/17 at 11:22:45

I've leave for around 6:30 am and it can be pretty chilly.  I base my drive/ride decision on how nice it will be that afternoon.  I have been dealing with low 40s in the mornings this week but have been getting 70s for my ride home.  

I take the fastest rout in the mornings when it's cold.  So I have to survive 35 minutes mostly on the freeway on the way in, but enjoy an hour ride home on back roads though park lands.  So far I've only added a light jacket, goggles and unlined leather gloves to keep from freezing in the mornings.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 10/20/17 at 11:49:53

Now that I'm in Florida I miss cooler weather riding, anything below 70 down here and the locals get their hoodies and boots out. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 10/20/17 at 11:56:12

Another thought...an air temperature of 50F in the sun feels a lot nicer than 50F in the dark.

When I was in college I rode 60 miles to see a friend in 35-40 temps. I wasn't dressed for the conditions and by the time I got there I was cold-soaked. I spent the next two hours wrapped in warm blankets...and then I had to ride back to school. When I got back to school I was just in pain. I think I spent about 3 hours in a warm shower.

Since then I just don't like riding in the cold. Small airplanes suck in the winter too. They rely on heat muffs like the ones used on aircooled VW's.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/20/17 at 11:59:13

Ed L. wrote on 10/20/17 at 11:49:53:
Now that I'm in Florida I miss cooler weather riding, anything below 70 down here and the locals get their hoodies and boots out. Wink

Ed, (by the way love the extensions) you may wanna turn this thread around and ask how hot is toooo hot?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 10/20/17 at 12:28:13

Mostly the colder months are December,January & February and I still ride but I would have to say 45 and above. It's during July & August it gets past 110 some times and anything above 105 is testing your body with heat and man eating bugs and the occasional swarm of bees. Got me a old Harley shirt that says"If you can't stand the heat stay out of the valley" Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 20:59:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › How cold is too cold.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.