YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LED Headlight Bulb
Reply #60 - 04/18/17 at 07:11:59

Most Isopropyl has a lot of water in it.  If you can find 100%, that would be the stuff to go with.
What about acetone?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 04/18/17 at 07:24:15

The fan is run by a small motor built into the fan body...same as all the other tiny computer fans that electronic stuff has these days.

I had some Isopropyl alcohol here at the office, and I rubbed it on my office window with a paper towel and wetted the glass really well - it dried clear without any trace.....however I don't know for sure that it is a good solvent for the haze and capable of removing it without rubbing a cloth on the light or reflector.  I want a cleaning product that can remove the smoky haze from the lens without rubbing....as I am sure there is also haze on the reflector - and I don't want to rub anything on the reflector that could scratch it.

Lens cleaning solution for glasses or camera's is a good thought.......provided it rinses clean.  I put a drop of eye glass cleaner on my glasses and let it dry - it left behind a faint white mark when it evaporated.

My concern about the Everclear is that there might be some sugar in the mix - and that most likely would leave something behind when the alcohol evaporates.  I maybe could rinse with distilled water or Isopopyl alcohol....and if rinsing is used I could maybe use a much stronger cleaning product and then rinse several times.  The drying can be done with my compressor and air nozzle...then set in the sun to bake out anything left in the joints/crevices.

Verslagen:  My concern about using acetone is what it could do to the gasket between the lens and reflector.   

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #62 - 04/18/17 at 07:30:05

verslagen1 wrote on 04/18/17 at 07:11:59:
What about acetone?

What Dave said.  Had someone here in the lab use acetone to clean some microscope slides that were still in a plastic slide tray. Well...let's just say that they had to be pried out as the acetone softened the plastic enough to make it turn into goo and "melt" up around the edges of the slides.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #63 - 04/18/17 at 07:40:00

No sugar in Everclear.
Holding the reflector like a bowl and swishing?

http://www.maxwettsteinfitness.com/Library/Alcohol.htm

Glasses don't get near the TLC as cameras. You might call a high end camera shop and get advice. They know how to deal with First Surface mirrors.
A copier repair shop has to clean the optics inside those things. And they are F.S. mirrors, too. But you're playing with a deposited reflective film on plastic and the other mirrors are silver on glass. What Exactly IS the reflective surface made of is the question.

Getting rid of the residoodoo left on the heat sink and Not eliminating the fans necessary lubrication and wondering IF that necessary lubrication will cause the problem again,,, hmm. I'm gonna say it wouldn't. If you're able to clean it up without wrecking the fan..
Ahh, simple swap and Whammo, unintended consequences borne out of an unknown unknown.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #64 - 04/18/17 at 08:15:27

As a photographer that still uses 35mm film equipment I can tell you that the best chemical(s) for lens maintenance are basic Windex and eyeglass cleaner. Every now and then I will have or find a lens that has been etched by fungus. When that happens I kill the fungus with Listerine (not needed here) and polish the surface with jeweller's rouge.

So in this case I suggest Windex for the discoloration and if the surface is damaged you can try to polish it with jeweller's rouge.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #65 - 04/18/17 at 15:00:45

I have the same fogging with this bulb in my setup.  I have a HELLA  7" with a lead crystal lens.  Inside of the lens is completely fogged.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 04/18/17 at 18:31:49

Tocsik:

I will let you know how my cleaning goes.  I was not able to get to it tonight - and tomorrow night is another evening meeting...so it will have to wait until Thursday.

I am testing a drop of Isopropyl alcohol and a drop of distilled water on a mirror to see if they leave any residue/spots behind.  I will put a drop of the alcohol in the light and see if that rinses off the fog - if it doesn't I will try Bike Bright cleaner.  The plan is to rinse the light out with the distilled water or alcohol after using the Bike Bright.  I will then install a Silverstar halogen bulb and see if the fogging occurs - if it doesn't I will try the LED again and see if the fogging returns.

Send an email to the LED folks....let them know you are having the trouble as well.

Dave  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #67 - 04/19/17 at 05:23:29

Dave, is the coating on the heat sink out-gassing resulting in fogging on the lens or is the heat itself causing discoloration?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 04/19/17 at 05:47:59

Gary:

I don't know yet - I have had evening meeting every night this week so far and I haven't been able to take anything apart yet.  There is a smoky looking film on the inside of the glass - it wasn't there when I put the new headlight assembly together (Dime City housing, Candlepower reflector, ADVmonster LED bulb).  I have ridden the bike about 5 hours total - so it didn't take very long to develop.

On the way home last night I bought some 90% Isopropyl alchohol and distilled water.  I cleaned a mirror and put a small puddle of alcohol and a separate puddle of the distilled water on the clean mirror, and I let them both evaporate. The water definitely left some haze behind - the alcohol left a barely visible streak.  These were pretty deep puddles - and I suspect that when the light assembly is rinsed with either of these and the excess blown out with the air compressor - there will be no noticeable residue left behind.  (I have another City Council meeting tonight.....so I won't likely be able to try any cleaning until Thursday).

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #69 - 04/19/17 at 07:06:28

What about something like this?  http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/toluene.

Guy I bought my house from refinished tubs and left all sorts of stuff in my shop, including some of this and other things but I haven't used them on anything to know what they will and will not "eat" or melt.  The website above has links to all of their products with good detail so maybe something in there can offer a possible solution (no pun intended  Wink)

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 04/19/17 at 07:28:20

I have some Toluene at home - there are a few paints that use it as a thinner for spraying.

I can put some on my test mirror and see what it does - my memory of this stuff is that it feels a bit "oily" - I would be surprised if it evaporates without leaving something behind.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #71 - 04/19/17 at 08:27:09

Don't forget about B12 Chemtool.
Berrymans doesn't leave enough behind to mess much up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #72 - 04/20/17 at 10:13:03

Interesting... yeah, the Savage can never have enough light output.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #73 - 04/20/17 at 10:37:46

I want a landing light .

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #74 - 04/20/17 at 11:11:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/20/17 at 10:37:46:
I want a landing light .

My homebuilt airplane (RV-6) uses two H4's in rectangular housings. Since the aircraft is a tail-dragger (conventional gear) I have one that aims at the runway in an approach attitude and one for a landing/flair/taxi configuration. Only one is shining down the runway at any given time and the single bulb lights up the runway nicely...much better then a typical sealed beam used for a Cessna or Piper which provide a narrow beam and at $250, are expensive. Most people replace the OEM sealed beams with LED units. These typically range from $500 to over $1,000. I'm quite happy with my inexpensive H4 solution.

The limiting factor for the S40 is not the H4 bulb, but the size of the housing, the quality of the lens, and the shape of the reflector. The aftermarket units are clearly (pun) superior.

So if you upgrade, you will technically have a landing light.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 06:52:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight Bulb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!