Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: LED Headlight Bulb
Reply #30 - 11/04/16 at 05:20:20

Hey Dave,
Looks like a winner! Thanks for the info. Can't wait to hear the test results Cool

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #31 - 11/04/16 at 08:14:22

Dave wrote on 11/04/16 at 03:19:49:
... I noticed in my car that since I installed LED headlight bulbs, my radio reception is worse.  We listen to a station at 88.7 that is pretty fare away and reception is a bit weak, and it can fade a little bit when you get behind hills. The last few days I noticed that when I turn my key from "run" to "park" and the headlights go of....the radio reception improves.  I also noticed that at home in my garage - the radio on my workbench would get poor reception whenever I connected an LED headlight to a battery and the light came on.  I don't know if it only happens for radio stations with lower numbers......and if stations higher on the dial would suffer the same signal loss.

Definitely something I will need to consider.  I use the Sena SMH5-FM on my helmet and I will listen to the radio when in slow moving traffic.  One station I tune to is in the low 90's.  But with the upcoming time change I'll be commuting in the dark both directions so I may need to weigh better light against FM signal loss  Undecided

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 11/04/16 at 17:18:09

Dave wrote on 11/04/16 at 03:26:26:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/03/16 at 18:01:26:
If the problem is heat, then airflow / and/ or additional heat sink should be a step in the right direction.
Computers have some pretty neat looking heat sink gizmos standing on the CPU.

In the stock location, the rectifier is bolted to the rather heavy rear fender.  I do believe that most of the heat dissipation occurs from transferring the heat to the fender.....as there likely isn't a lot of air flow going on under the seat where the rectifier is located.

You're probably right, seems to be a
Thing with you..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 11/07/16 at 10:51:04

I got the new LED this afternoon.....and unfortunately it has a bit of a flaw in it.  One of the LED panels has some form of "smut" embedded into the grid.  It is centered in one of the 9 squares, and it takes up the majority of the grid.  I emailed them to see what they want to do about this defect.

The light has some interesting concepts.  The large end of the bulb is a fan, and it will be inside the light.  The result will be that the fan moves air over the "bulb", and heats up the air inside the light housing....so the entire light housing will be dissipating the heat.

The LED emitters are only on the top of the unit.  Most other units have them on the sides, with the low beam having a shield to prevent the light from going out the bottom.  Normally the bulb shines upward in the reflector for the low beam, and over the entire refelector for the high beam.  (The light shining on the upper part of the reflector is what shines downward).  In the arrangement of this bulb where light can only shine upward in the reflector - I am not sure how the high beam functions....as no light can shine out the bottom of the bulb (which is normally the part of the bulb that is the high beam).

Also.....it appears the bulb is 25W x 2 (as you can see is stamped in the aluminum), and I am not sure if only one panel lights for the low beam and one for the high beam, or if they both light up for the high beam and make 50 watts total.  (I really don't care either way....as long as the light output is significantly brighter than stock).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #34 - 11/07/16 at 11:28:41

Maybe that's an anti-deer wavelength modulator on that one chip?  Wink  I could have used that Saturday night!

Seriously though...I don't see how something that obvious gets past QC?  It's like sending out a tricycle without one wheel.  C'mon folks.

Looking forward to reports on how well it lights and if the high/low beams work as expected.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 11/07/16 at 11:43:13

I don't think the low beam light on the Ninja is very good - the high beam seems to be much better.  And it doesn't help that the windshield directs all the bugs up onto my helmet face shield.

Here is the bottom of the light showing the ribbed aluminum heat sink....the fan blows air over these fins.

And here is where the small motor and fan is located:

« Last Edit: 11/07/16 at 17:32:44 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #36 - 11/08/16 at 03:17:20

So, plug it in and see how it looks!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 11/08/16 at 04:16:44

Well I did plug it in, and even put it in a headlight housing to see what the light pattern look like - unfortunately the stock Savage bike I have is just a frame at the moment, and I couldn't take it for a spin.

I put my welding helmet on so I could look at the bulb when lit, as it is so bright you can't even begin to see the lighted panels.  Only one of the panels lights at a time - so the light uses 25 Watts for either beam.  When installed in the small Savage housing, the guard on the front of the light comes really close to the back of the glass lens, and it appears that there is only about 1/8" of clearance.  The light panels on the top make it so that the light only shines out the top of the reflector, and there is a sharp vertical cut off for both the low and high beams - the difference is that the LED panel locations result in the high beam light shining farther upward than the low beam.  The light beam for either high and low makes a pattern on the wall that is very narrow vertically - but very wide horizontally.....it should light up the edges of the road very well.

I took the headlight housing outside and tried it with both the stock and the LED bulb.  The LED is far whiter, and brighter, and I could see the wires on the distant power lines and the towers far more clearly with the LED.

The one concern I have with an LED....is the reliability.  The LED is supposed to last a very long time - but I just don't know about those tiny fan motors that provide cooling.  Where they really made to survive the kind of environment that they are being exposed to?  The fans on the back of the light will have to survive rain, cold, heat and dirt.  The fan on the inside of the bulb may have to survive through heat of operation, and the cold of winter (for those who ride all year).  I would recommend that until we figure out how reliable these are.....you should pack a standard headlight bulb in your tool kit!

I have a meeting and I won't be able to put the LED in the Cafe' bike tonight - but the weather the rest of the week looks good and I will be able to give it a try.  

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #38 - 11/08/16 at 07:06:43

Thanks for all the detail, Dave.  Do you think there's any issue with the tight clearance to the inside of the headlight glass?  Would there be enough heat to discolor the glass or distort the plastic on the back of the bucket?

Since I've been looking for an easy option to increase the light output I went and ordered one of these, too.  Compared to other bulbs and swapping out the whole headlight, it seemed like a good gamble.  Changing the bulb on our bikes is so easy I'll certainly carry a standard bulb for backup.

Let us know what they say about that defect on the LED panel.  It would be good to know they care about customer service.  They seem like a niche type of store so I imagine they keep it small and personal.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 11/08/16 at 07:23:53

The stock halogen bulb gets the glass pretty hot as is.
Don't think the LED any near as hot.
the bezel allows plenty of air thru it to keep the housing cool enough.
whether it keeps the back end of the bulb cool is another question.

If it blows air in at the base... where does it exit?

Might need to drill some small holes around the perimeter.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 11/08/16 at 07:32:36

verslagen1 wrote on 11/08/16 at 07:23:53:
If it blows air in at the base... where does it exit?

Might need to drill some small holes around the perimeter.

It doesn't blow any air in at the base....or exchange any outside air....the fan circulates the air around inside the headlight housing.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 11/09/16 at 06:32:53

Tocsik wrote on 11/08/16 at 07:06:43:
Thanks for all the detail, Dave.  Do you think there's any issue with the tight clearance to the inside of the headlight glass?  Would there be enough heat to discolor the glass or distort the plastic on the back of the bucket?

Since I've been looking for an easy option to increase the light output I went and ordered one of these, too.  Compared to other bulbs and swapping out the whole headlight, it seemed like a good gamble.  Changing the bulb on our bikes is so easy I'll certainly carry a standard bulb for backup.

The lens is glass....so there is no issue with it melting.

The only potential issue I see, is that maybe the fan airflow will be restricted a bit by the glass being so close.  The light has a 1 year warranty against defects....so keep your receipt.

It appears that more and more of the LED light bulbs are losing the little computer fans, and going with braided copper strips to carry the heat away.  I like that idea, as I just don't know how reliable and durable the fan motors are.

The next few days are scheduled to be dry around here - so I should be able to get the bulb in the Cafe' bike and give it a try (we certainly have enough darkness around here this time of year).

For the bulb I got with the brown spot on it, I got an email from ADVmonster, and they are sending a replacement unit and a return envelope.  They apologized for missing the defect.  Cool!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #42 - 11/09/16 at 19:46:40

I don't want to take away from Dave's review of this bulb but I installed mine this evening and took a couple of (poor quality) pics.
The bulb comes in a small box, wrapped in bubble wrap.  No instructions and no invoice.  Just wanted to put that out there depending on the type of online purchases you're used to.  First thing I did was check for defects in the LED panels after Dave's experience. Mine seemed fine.

It's a 10 minute upgrade and sure get Dave's point about the fan.  We'll see if it lasts as long as the LED's.
This is just a pic from the bottom of my driveway with the light shining down the road.  Stock bulb on the left and the LED on the right.  The LED is much brighter and I'll carry a screwdriver on my ride to work tomorrow morning to dial in the adjustment.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 11/09/16 at 19:54:58

If they work out, I'll be having one of those..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #44 - 11/09/16 at 20:03:21

Yeah, you ain't kiddin'! That's MUCH better than stock!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:22:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight Bulb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.