Send Topic Print
LED Headlight Bulb (Read 2812 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: LED Headlight Bulb
Reply #90 - 04/24/17 at 05:36:22

Thank You, Dave. That's a hekkuva How To.
I'm surprised that cleaning up the lamps exterior didn't stop it from making a mess.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #91 - 04/24/17 at 06:44:03

I did not do anything to clean up the outside of the LED bulb or it's heat sink or anything related to it - the outside of the light never felt like it had anything on it, and I wanted to use the bulb exactly the way it was sent to me (and everyone else that purchased it).  

However.....after reading your last post I looked at the LED unit very carefully - and I could see a yellow stain between 2 of the cooling ribs.  When I stuck the tip of a piece of paper in the yellow - it came out with an oily tip!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #92 - 04/24/17 at 07:58:51

Any word from ADVMonster?  I haven't had time or ability (been too sick) to do anything with mine but I have emailed the company.  They've been pretty responsive by email but are telling me:
"We are attempting to replicate, thanks for the heads up.  We've been through several with nothing thus far."

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #93 - 04/24/17 at 09:13:34

If you don't think it's gonna kill the light or fan, I'd consider cleaning the lamp body with B12. Drops can be coaxed from the red tube.
I think you've proven where the problem is.
As long as everyone knows what to expect before they buy the lamp, it's good. I'd still buy it if it's a lot better lamp.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #94 - 04/24/17 at 09:28:06

I have to say the LED ''Daymaker'' is expensive, but it really lights up the road, and only draws 20/40 watts, allowing me to run 2-15 watt aux lights. I've had it for over a year and about 25k with no problems.
Best lighting I've ever had on a MC. Only bike I've ever had that when a car comes up close behind me I don't see my own shadow. If you get a 7'' housing you can run the 30/60!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #95 - 04/24/17 at 09:46:23

Badwolf:

I have ridden with your headlight behind me....and I can testify that it is bright - even on the low beam.  For the amount of miles and conditions you ride in.....that was probably a very smart investment.

The purpose of this thread was to find an affordable, easy to install LED bulb that could be used to improve the stock headlight to an acceptable level...without spending $200 - $500 on a dedicated LED headlight assembly.

So far the LED bulb "inserts" that I have tried are in the $30 - $50, and they provide mixed results.  They are brighter than the stock bulb and do light up more of the roadway - but the light pattern that is emitted is not nearly as even as the stock bulb provides....there are hot spots of light that tend to be somewhat distracting, as your pupils adjust to the amount of light in the bright areas and the things farther down the road may not be as visible if the light were more even.  Evidently it is hard for the designers to make an LED with 1 or 2 "points" of light focus well on a reflector made for a "filament" bulb.

I had hoped the self contained light that started this thread was an option - but I can't recommend a light that fogs up the inside of the glass.  Maybe Tocsik and I just got bulbs that had fans that were "over oiled"...and these 2 bulbs are not the normal standard for this LED.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #96 - 04/24/17 at 10:01:54

Dave, Mine is a 5'' I got off e-bay for about $70. This is about the same thing but 7''

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LED-Projector-Daymaker-Black-Headlight-Harley-Stree...

If you get the ''official'' Harley part you will pay thru the teeth, but there are knock-offs to be found.
Look at this bad boy--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7Inch-80W-CREE-LED-Headlight-Daymaker-With-Mounting-B...

This might be overkill--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-LED-Projector-Headlight-Daymaker-Lamp-For-Harley...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #97 - 04/24/17 at 10:29:36

Badwolf:

Can you provide a link to any of the "Daymaker" LED lights that can be installed directly into the Suzuki Savage light housing?

The goal of this thread was to find a good working H-4 (9003) LED bulb to replace the standard bulb.

None of the lights you have linked will fit a stock housing....the Suzuki light does not have a shell or mount that accepts the reflector inserts - it has specific mounting tabs that are exclusive to the Savage.

savage_023.jpg

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #98 - 04/24/17 at 10:49:01

Dave, I swapped the housing also when doing the bulb. Went with a post mount metal one. Like this--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-Chrome-Headlight-Shell-with-Bottom-Mounted-Head...

The exact one I got is no longer listed. I still had to file down the back corners of the LED unit yo get it to fit. AND there was NO room for the rat's nest of wires normally inside. For someone doing it from scratch I would say go with the 7'', and buy the bulb first and try several housings to see which fits best. I think you will have much better luck with the 7'' units as they are more ""standard''. If you try to go small you will have to figure out what to do with all the wires in there.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #99 - 04/24/17 at 12:55:39

Tocsik wrote on 04/24/17 at 07:58:51:
Any word from ADVMonster?  I haven't had time or ability (been too sick) to do anything with mine but I have emailed the company.  They've been pretty responsive by email but are telling me:
"We are attempting to replicate, thanks for the heads up.  We've been through several with nothing thus far."

The contact I have reached at ADVmonster is John Sanders.  He has not responded to the emails I sent this morning - but he did respond to the initial contact very quickly and ask me to keep him informed of what I was doing/trying.

I will keep you guys informed.  If they are a good company and stand behind their product - then they are definitely a company that should be supported.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #100 - 04/25/17 at 21:25:42

I am thinking of trying this bulb. Anybody see any reason why it would not work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auxbeam-H4-9003-HB2-40W-3600LM-CREE-LED-Headlight-Lam...

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #101 - 04/25/17 at 22:43:57

That is not a real auxbeam light. I have been buying, using, and selling auxbeam lights for over a year and that is a knockoff. Go to auxbeam.com they have a 1 year warranty and customer service is good. But that being said it would not fit due to the size of the heat sink. Once the 7 inch headlight housing is out I will buy that plus the 7 inch headlight they sell check it out on their site.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #102 - 04/26/17 at 03:52:08

Springman:

If you look at the photos on the eBay page, you can see that in addition to the light unit - there is a small box and additional wiring that needs to be used with the light - and that is likely not going to fit inside the small Savage headlight.  It is good that the units have the little shields on the low beam - that is what cuts off the light from shining up into the eyes of oncoming drivers (vertical cut off).

I have been using a similar Chinese LED headlight bulbs, and I put them in my Cafe' bike for a test run - then eventually put them in my car and have been running them for more than a year.  They are brighter than the stock bulbs - but the light pattern is a bit uneven and it makes a spotty light pattern on the road...some spots are brighter than others.  I am finding this is a common issue when you put an LED in a reflector designed for a filament bulb.

This is likely the next bulb that I am going to try, and I believe you can get it to fit in the Savage headlight.  It looks to be pretty small, ADVmonster claims it has the best light pattern of any light they have tried.
http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-r3-led-headlight/

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #103 - 04/26/17 at 09:08:56

Dave, I figured the box would have to be outside of the housing but was looking at this set up because of the shield, hoping it provides a good light pattern. I just looked at the one you mentioned but it does not have a shield.

I have yet to remove the halogen bulb to measure how much room we have in the housing. For the moment I was just hoping to get something cheap to provide better lighting and me not blind oncoming traffic. Ultimately I think I want to get a Daymaker set up like badwolf. I just need to go to the Harley dealership and see if I can get a housing there for cheap before I order the headlight assembly.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #104 - 04/26/17 at 09:41:10

I mounted an LED with a box inside the stock Savage housing......there was room.

The LED light you linked has the emitters on the side of the assembly, and the shield keeps the light from shining upward when the low beam is on.  (Actually the shields keep the light from shining down into the reflector, as the light coming out the bottom of the reflector is what shines upward when it leaves the reflector).

The H4 R3 has the emitters on the top and bottom of assembly, and when the low beam is being used - the emitter on the bottom is not emitting light.  When the high beam is being used - both the top and bottom emitters work.

The 7" bucket and reflector is definitely the way to go.  I should be able to get you an adapter and headlight bucket in a couple weeks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 12:33:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight Bulb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.