YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LED Headlight Bulb
Reply #15 - 11/03/16 at 14:04:11

Would be the same as riding a fully charged bike.

Hmmm... I wonder if this is why some rectumfryers get hot?

The components to a rectumfryer.
3 sets of power diodes and a zener diode.

The power diodes make ac into dc, once the bat is charged, current should stop flowing.
The zener diode lops off anything above 14 volts, so no impact here.

Nope, the battery will charge faster then there should be a decrease in current.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 11/03/16 at 14:26:46

hot rectifier! cut shallow slots at 45 or 90 degree angles across the tops of the cooling fins to expose more surface area ,problem solved.(hacksaw logic)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 11/03/16 at 15:10:19

The potential problem is that our rectifier can't regulate current - the charging system is always putting out the same amount.  Any power that isn't used to charge the battery or run the lights needs to be wasted as heat.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 11/03/16 at 15:36:52

The stator voltage is measured 100 volts open circuit.
It's quite possible when connected, the voltage is quite less.
And when under load, might even be less generating a lot less heat thru the zener diode.

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #19 - 11/03/16 at 15:52:17

I have a20/40 watt led sealed beam and 2-15 watt led driving lights. I have driven over 15k this year with that set-up, including some 10 hour days on just low beam all day. Never noticed any excessive heat from the rectifier, and with my solo seat it's only a inch or two from my butt.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 11/03/16 at 16:08:34

Badwolf Your only using 5watts less than a standard low beam,that's not going to generate much more heat.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #21 - 11/03/16 at 16:20:05

No, during the day I just use low beam (20 watts), just use the driving lights at night. At night with the driving lights it's 50/70 watts total. But when I had a regular H4 bulb (55/60 watts) it used 85/90 watts at night with the driving lights and never had a problem with the battery.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 11/03/16 at 17:07:21

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/03/16 at 07:30:03:
On page 228 of the Clymer manual there is an exploded view of the headlight bezel. Item number 5 is the head light adjustmet screw. Turn the screw counter-clockwise to lower the projected beam and clockwise to raise the beam. Even though the adjustment mechanism is spring loaded, while raising the beam I'd suggest putting your thumb on the top of the glass and give the lens a little assistance.

I looked at the headlight, and there are 2 screws in the lower part of the chrome bezel.  The throttle side adjusts the up/down angle, and the clutch side adjusts the left/right angle.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #23 - 11/03/16 at 17:44:47

Interesting question about the Reg/Rec.
I owned an SV650 Suzi-Q for years. One of the chronic problems on the early (Gen 1) bikes was a toasted Reg/Rec. The usual solution was to swap out to a more zoftig R/R from a Gixxer.
Did some head scratching on that one.
The Gen 1 bikes hid the R/R under the tail section. Virtually no air flow.
A lot of the folks who toasted their R/Rs were hot shoes-track or fast street guys.
Got to thinking.
The SV, like the Savage, uses a permanent magnet alternator. In short, the alt produces more juice the faster you spin it. Redline on the SV was 10.5K
The fast kids were likely not using extra electrical stuff (heated clothes, stereos, coffee makers).
So, on those bikes, the alternator was producing a ton of juice, and it wasn't being used.
So, the R/R had to lose this extra juice, which it did by shorting it to ground and turning it into heat.
So the R/R got toasty, and toasted.
The other solution was to relocate the R/R to where it got some air.
So, in answer to the question about toasting the Savage R/R...
I guess if someone had twiddled their motor and raised the redline from 6K or so to 8K or so. And likes to rev the nuts off of the motor.
And the R/R was located somewhere that it never sees cooling air.
And the bike has a minimal electrical load.....
Then there might be a problem.
Rev it up with a meter connected and see how early and how high the voltage goes.
Point an IR gauge at the R/R after a long run and see how hot it is.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 11/03/16 at 18:01:26

If the problem is heat, then airflow / and/ or additional heat sink should be a step in the right direction.
Computers have some pretty neat looking heat sink gizmos standing on the CPU.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #25 - 11/03/16 at 18:27:02

The R/R on my bike is the stock place on the r fender, but my seat is custom solo and does not come close to covering it. So it and the r fender have good airflow.
A good thing I guess.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #26 - 11/03/16 at 18:27:42

Dave, I'm not seeing dimensions listed for that bulb.  I know you have a larger headlight than stock but do you think that bulb will fit in the stock Savage/S40 headlight?  

I'm in need of a brighter headlight bulb and would like an easy conversion.  This looks like it fits that description and the price seems good and the features are better than many other LED's I've seen.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #27 - 11/03/16 at 18:52:09

Papa Bear wrote on 11/03/16 at 13:59:40:
You would be reducing the rectifier's load by 30 watts.

Your rectifier would thank you  Cool

You would think so! However, whatever current is not being used (i.e., 30 Watts) gets turned into heat. The R/R has to dissipate the extra heat even though it doesn't see the same amount of current as before.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 11/04/16 at 03:19:49

Tocsik wrote on 11/03/16 at 18:27:42:
Dave, I'm not seeing dimensions listed for that bulb.  I know you have a larger headlight than stock but do you think that bulb will fit in the stock Savage/S40 headlight?  

We will know after it arrives.  I will be trying it in the stock headlight housing and comparing the beam pattern......and taking it for a spin in my Cafe' bike that has the large headlight.  Unfortunately I won't be able to drive the stock headlight and see how it does.....that bike is a project and won't be running for a year or two.

This won't likely have any affect on your bike - but I noticed in my car that since I installed LED headlight bulbs, my radio reception is worse.  We listen to a station at 88.7 that is pretty fare away and reception is a bit weak, and it can fade a little bit when you get behind hills. The last few days I noticed that when I turn my key from "run" to "park" and the headlights go of....the radio reception improves.  I also noticed that at home in my garage - the radio on my workbench would get poor reception whenever I connected an LED headlight to a battery and the light came on.  I don't know if it only happens for radio stations with lower numbers......and if stations higher on the dial would suffer the same signal loss.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 11/04/16 at 03:26:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/03/16 at 18:01:26:
If the problem is heat, then airflow / and/ or additional heat sink should be a step in the right direction.
Computers have some pretty neat looking heat sink gizmos standing on the CPU.

In the stock location, the rectifier is bolted to the rather heavy rear fender.  I do believe that most of the heat dissipation occurs from transferring the heat to the fender.....as there likely isn't a lot of air flow going on under the seat where the rectifier is located.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 06:52:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight Bulb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.