Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Head Oil Leak, NOT the Plug (Read 251 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: Head Oil Leak, NOT the Plug
Reply #15 - 05/23/16 at 10:14:15

Dave wrote on 05/23/16 at 09:58:04:
I got no other ideas.  I will go home and look at the right side of the bike, next to the carb flange....and look forward in the cavity to see if I can see any bolt in that area - right now I don't know of anything that has a bolt in that location.

Thanks for checking on that  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/23/16 at 15:55:41

OK....I finally see the silver bolt you are talking about.  It is the right rear cylinder/head stud.  It extends up into the cam/rocker area, and it is sealed with a copper washer under the nut.  For some reason - yours has started leaking if the oil is coming from the stud.

The only way to fix it is to take the head cover off, and remove the nut and washer, clean it up, put sealer on the washer and nut....and put it back together.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 05/24/16 at 07:08:17

Dave wrote on 05/23/16 at 15:55:41:
OK....I finally see the silver bolt you are talking about.  It is the right rear cylinder/head stud.  It extends up into the cam/rocker area, and it is sealed with a copper washer under the nut.  For some reason - yours has started leaking if the oil is coming from the stud.

The only way to fix it is to take the head cover off, and remove the nut and washer, clean it up, put sealer on the washer and nut....and put it back together.

That's what I was afraid off. Unless it is a cracked head...
I don't remember if it was possible to take the head cover off in frame though.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 05/24/16 at 07:11:28

Yep...you can take the head cover off with the engine in the frame, the only tricky part is that long stud in the left front that holds on the chrome piece on the side (head cover cap).  After I have one apart....I make a new stud for that location that has a nut on the bottom - I can put it in after the head cover is bolted back on.

While you have it apart...you might as well put in a Versy head plug so you won't have to take it apart again.

I would also remove all the copper washers, and seal the washers and nuts....and retorque them.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 05/24/16 at 09:48:16

Thanks for the advice. Now I'm gonna have to see when I get a chance to do it. Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 05/25/16 at 05:38:37

A piece of cardboard with the outline of the head cover with a slot cut where every bolt goes will make going back together much easier.
Don't forget the upside down bolt has to be in and the center bolt is too long to remove or install with the head cover on.

If it's hard to get off,,inspect, and be certain all the bolts are out. Knowing how many bolts are in it , and counting what you pulled...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 05/25/16 at 07:06:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/25/16 at 05:38:37:
A piece of cardboard with the outline of the head cover with a slot cut where every bolt goes will make going back together much easier.
Don't forget the upside down bolt has to be in and the center bolt is too long to remove or install with the head cover on.

If it's hard to get off,,inspect, and be certain all the bolts are out. Knowing how many bolts are in it , and counting what you pulled...

Thanks JOG. So that long center bolt is coming out with the cover once loosened, right?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 05/25/16 at 07:34:51

ralfyguy wrote on 05/25/16 at 07:06:18:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/25/16 at 05:38:37:

So that long center bolt is coming out with the cover once loosened, right?

Nope...that long center bolt stays where it is....you will be taking the nut and copper washer off the top, cleaning them, applying some sealer....and then torquing it back into place.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 05/25/16 at 08:22:20

Thanks again JOG. I think while I'm at it, I'm gonna also put a new chain in the motor. Might as well if I already hi that far. It's been about 10,000 miles since I put the extended plunger in there.
One question about that though: Does the clutch basket pull just off the shaft?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 05/25/16 at 08:38:27

The outer clutch cover requires 4 screws/springs to be removed.  The inner basket has a nut, and a metal washer with a bent tab to lock the nut from turning.  You can use an impact to remove the nut easily....otherwise you you need to find someway to hold the inner clutch basket from turning.....and you need to figure out how to do that when you torque the nut back into place.

Dave

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 05/25/16 at 11:43:26

Thanks Dave  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com