Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Head Oil Leak, NOT the Plug (Read 251 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Head Oil Leak, NOT the Plug
05/22/16 at 12:02:09

After a 30 minute run today I discovered an oil leak on the right side in the cavity below the head cover in front of the speedo and clutch cable.
Shining a light in there you can see the shaft of one of the head or head cover bolts and that is the area the leakage comes from.
I verified that it is NOT coming from the rubber head plug. This area is bone dry. It is behind that where it starts.
There is no oil seepage anywhere else on the head cover either.
I cannot tell if it comes from the top or bottom. I cleaned the area thoroughly and did a test run with frequent stopping and checking and I cannot tell why and what is leaking there.

Which bolt is that and why would it leak there?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Head Oil Leak, NOT the Plug
Reply #1 - 05/22/16 at 18:08:11

There are 6 nuts holding the head on 4 from above ,but 2 in the bottom dead center front and back that sometimes drip a drop at a time,kind of sounds like your rear one is leaking dripping oil in the area of your starter/clutch/speedo cable.the cure is to remove the nut clean off the oil(solvent) put some high temp silicon around the stud that's sticks down and reinstall the nut.(be careful to torque it 20psi if I recall, it is after all a head bolt).this leak has been seen by a few ,your hardly the first.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/23/16 at 03:33:38

I read your description, and went out and looked at my bike....and I can't tell for sure which one you are talking about.  The pressure oil supply for the head comes up the right rear cylinder stud, than between the top of the head and the bottom of the head cover the oil galley moves over to the right rear head cover bolt.  There is an odd shaped o-ring in that location between the head and head cover, and the bolt should have a sealing washer under the head.  This long bolt can strip the threads out of the aluminum cylinder....then you are in a real fix!

I think you need to take a photo...or identify what bolt is leaking before I understand where the leak is.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 05/23/16 at 05:32:59

Thanks for the reply guys. When you look at the rear of head, just in front of the speedo and clutch cable, there is a cavity in the head that goes all the way through the front. You can look in that cavity from the front as well to see the head rubber plug.
Now shining the light in that cavity from the back further in, you can see the shaft of a bolt that goes from the top part of the head down to the cylinder. This is the area where the oil leakage comes from.
I am not talking about the head nuts that are on the back and the front in the middle of the motor. Those are fine.
It is inside that aware shaped hole or cavity.
I looked inside it from the front, there is a nut on the bottom of the cavity and right above is the infamous rubber plug. But the plug is dry, so it is not coming from here.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/23/16 at 06:11:43

Dave's right we need more info. that hidey hole is  hard to see into ,how many mi. on the bike ,have you ever replaced the plug ?If not it could be just be starting to  weep and your not seeing it until  the air pushes it out the rear opening.If you've had no leaks before this the rubber head plug is suspect,look again and see if there is any oil on the roof of the opening just behind the plug.you noticed it after a 50 mi ride it could be weeping at speed (your oil pressure being it's highest) then driping down to the cyl. area when you slow/stop.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/23/16 at 06:46:41

The bike is an '06. It has 21,000 miles on it and the only thing ever done to the motor is the extended tensioner plunger. The head nuts/bolts have never been torqued as I didn't see a problem all these years. The bike has been run on Rotella T6 for the past 7 years.
The rubber plug and surrounding area, especially the roof is dry. I paid really close attention to that. I cleaned the are with a pressure washer.
It must be coming from around the exposed bolt shaft.
Everything else around the head cover is dry.
At highway speeds it is the worst.
Looking at the schematic of the bolts, it seems I'm talking about the C25 bolt.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/23/16 at 07:16:10

Is the oil leak coming from up on top of the head cover and then running down.....or is the leak under the head cover in the cavity that runs from the cavity where the head plug and the right front cylinder stud?

When in doubt....you can remove the breather hose, and put 5-10 psi of air pressure into the engine - then use a plastic sprayer to apply soapy water....then look for bubbles.  If there is an oil passage there....it most likely will ooze some oil before the bubbles show up.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 05/23/16 at 07:31:05

It's under the head cover in the same cavity the head plug is in. The top of the head cover is dry, not running down from it.
After cleaning the area real good it is no doubt that it is not coming from that infamous plug leaking. It is all dry there.
The oil accumulates behind that around that bolt you can see there.
It just builds around it, not running there from somewhere else
When the bike is idling not much happens. It is when out in the road at speed when it accumulates and runs out the back down the cylinder fins.
When stopping and checking then, the area where the rubber Plug us is still dry, nothing running towards the back from there. It almost seems like it is only building around that Bolt and then at Speed gets blown out backwards. It the also spits all over the Starter and the Speedo cable and battery Box.
Id ut possible that it runs down that Bolt shaft from the top, That C25 Bolt has a acorn but it seems from pictures and a copper washer.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/23/16 at 07:38:08

If you are talking about the large nut that is directly under the head plug...that is the right front cylinder stud.  It is possible that the head gasket is allowing some oil to come through the layers that make up the gasket, and it weeps out from between the coppers washer and the nut....or the clearance between the stud/nut threads (generally the never seize fills the voids in the threads).

The only way you are going to fix that leak if the stud is the source.....is to remove the head cover, remove the head plug, remove the nut and washer on the stud - then clean them up, install a bit of sealer on the washer and nut, and torque it back down....then do the same on the left front cylinder stud which can also weep oil.  Then put in a Versy head plug.....and new sealer on the cylinder head cover - it is a big job!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 05/23/16 at 08:19:10

I was talking about the Bolt behind that Front one. I looked at pictures where the head Cover was removed, and it is the bolt next to the chain sprocket with the acorn nut on it, inside the head. It is I believe one of the bolts/studs that hold the head to the cylinder.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/23/16 at 08:26:05

ralfyguy wrote on 05/23/16 at 08:19:10:
I was talking about the Bolt behind that Front one. I looked at pictures where the head Cover was removed, and it is the bolt next to the chain sprocket with the acorn nut on it, inside the head. It is I believe one of the bolts/studs that hold the head to the cylinder.

I have no idea what bolt you are talking about....you are just going to have to show us which one it isHuh

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 05/23/16 at 08:39:20

The nut/bolt on the left between the sprocket and the valve springs.
This one goes through the cavity and the shaft is visible looking into the cavity.

Reminder_of_lobe_location.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/23/16 at 09:27:12

Is the oil coming out up on the head.....or from the space between the top of the cylinder and the bottom of the cylinder head?  (You can see the edge of the head gasket at this location).

Here is a photo of the top of a cylinder.  The place you have a leak is at the top left side of the attached photo.  That odd shaped cavity on the top left is the oil galley....it takes the oil from the cylinder and moves it over to the hole where it travels up the cylinder head.

I believe your head gasket is weeping oil at this location.  Maybe torquing your head will make it stop.....maybe not.  If torquing the head doesn't make it go away - it will be time for you to remove the head and put a new head gasket in the engine.

Cylinder.jpg

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 05/23/16 at 09:41:19

It is coming out of that hole in the head. The head gasket is not leaking.
Looking at the rear of the motor, right next to the carb flange, there is a cavity on the left, and a cavity to the right of it. It accumulates in the one on the right and dripping down right by the bolt that attaches the carb flange. If you take a flashlight and look into that cavity, you can see a silver bolt shaft going vertically. That is where it originates from. And it is not from the rubber head plug, because that area is still dry.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/23/16 at 09:58:04

I got no other ideas.  I will go home and look at the right side of the bike, next to the carb flange....and look forward in the cavity to see if I can see any bolt in that area - right now I don't know of anything that has a bolt in that location.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 16:21:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Oil Leak, NOT the Plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.