Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Loss of power cont. (Read 408 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Loss of power cont.
Reply #45 - 02/27/16 at 14:19:40

You're right. I misspoke. It was def the speedo cable and the o ring that I have doesn't look like the one in the pic. It's looking a little worse for wear actually . I'll post a pic shortly.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #46 - 02/27/16 at 17:42:56

I wouldn't worry about the o-ring on the speedo cable right now. If you do need a new one though the part # is in one of the posts down below the picture in the link I sent.

Anyway, after going back and rereading this thread I have a theory about your clutch problem. I think you damaged the cable when you tipped the bike over, and the damaged cable is not allowing the clutch to engage completely when you let go of the lever on the handelbar after shifting gears. It was as though you were riding with the lever on the handlebar pulled just slightly all the time. The clutch was slipping just a tiny bit all the time you were riding from wherever the tip over was to where you are now. At first it probably wasn't slipping badly enough for you to realize anything was wrong. Until recently.

If you watch the lever on the engine case the the clutch cable is attached to, while pulling the handelbar lever all the way to the grip, the lever on the case should move up about an inch or so as the cable pulls on it. When you release the lever on the handlebar the lever on the case should snap back down to where it started from. Push down on that lever with a finger after you release the lever on the bar and make sure it's down as far as it will go. If the lever on the engine doesn't snap back all the way down then either the clutch cable is not adjusted correctly - has no slack in it - or it is kinked or otherwise damaged, and it is keeping the clutch partially disengaged - allowing it to slip.

Correcting that; either properly adjusting the cable, or, more likely I suspect, replacing it because it  was damaged when you dropped the bike, might fix you problem. Unfortunately it also night not. Riding as far as you did with a slipping clutch might have finally damaged the discs.

I'd start with the cable. Reading through the thread I'm not sure that you've eliminated that as the source of the problem.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 03/09/16 at 09:43:49

I know my replies are sporadic. Blame the Georgia weather and my schedule. I included a pick of my oh so oily o ring. Just did the test with the speedo cable disconnected and the snapback is as it should be. I pulled the clutch all the way in and watched it rise and fall,pushing also to test.
I am at my wit's end.

IMG_20160309_123106.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 03/09/16 at 09:53:00

If it is not the cable and the clutch lever is where it needs to be,I'm not sure what to do.  I know I'm having clutch issues but it seems the tests to determine those issues at coming up in the negative. Is Old Feller back in commission?

IMG_20160309_123039.jpg
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #49 - 03/09/16 at 10:35:25

jjthejetplane wrote on 03/09/16 at 09:43:49:
I know my replies are sporadic. Blame the Georgia weather and my schedule. I included a pick of my oh so oily o ring. Just did the test with the speedo cable disconnected and the snapback is as it should be. I pulled the clutch all the way in and watched it rise and fall,pushing also to test.
I am at my wit's end.

The spedo cable has nothing to do with the clutch or the clutch cable. Your o-ring looks ok. That o-ring only keeps oil from migrating up the speedo cable and getting into the speedometer itself. Put that back together and forget about it. If there was anything wrong with that cable the only symptom would be the speedometer would not work.

If you are positive that your clutch cable is OK and adjusted properly then you are going to have to get the clutch cover off and figure out what happened to your clutch. I think you are going to need some hands on help. Someone who understands how a motorcycle clutch works. I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to just talk you through this one.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 03/09/16 at 12:46:47

I tried it a few times before -checking the clutch lever's position. The resistance feels OK in the clutch and the lever always falls within the two marks.
Trust me, I was almost hoping it would be out of range so I had a starting place. I checked several times this morning to be sure before posting.
I've read the clutch argument posts a few times over and am willing to attempt it. My only concern would be having enough or rather, the right tools for the job. I am patient and thorough. I will take my time.
It slipped going into second when I had it started. I know something is going on with the clutch.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 03/09/16 at 18:49:54

Glad to hear that you are methodical and careful, that's half the battle.  In the tech section of this forum there is a Savage Companion Photo CD.  It has excellent and detailed pictures of a Savage  being dismantled and is a great reference.  So if you haven't already downloaded it I would recommend that you do before you take the clutch apart.

Clymer's also has a shop manual which is useful but the pictures are poor. Amazon has the soft cover version and there was a link somewhere on the forum where you could download it.   Good luck.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 03/10/16 at 09:15:39

Haha. Thanks.
That good luck was a bit ominous. Now I'm worried. JOG, I might give you a ring

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 06:12:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loss of power cont.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.