Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Today's surprise.  Mystery leak (Read 134 times)
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Today's surprise.  Mystery leak
03/09/16 at 10:56:30

Hi All,

I posted a couple of pictures to try to explain myself.  There is a small leak (bike's been parked for 3 days) underneath where the kickstand attaches to the frame.  Looked underneath and everything looks dry.  The fuel valve is closed and it seems viscous, so it's got to be oil or something.

Worst part is, I picked this bike up just two weeks ago and I'm sort of scared to ride it to the shop to see if I can get things sorted out because I'm not sure if there's a bigger issue.  She's in dry dock for now.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0849.JPG
  IP Logged
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Re: Today's surprise.  Mystery leak
Reply #1 - 03/09/16 at 10:56:59

second picture

IMG_0850.JPG
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 03/09/16 at 11:03:23

One of the bolts for the footpeg mount is acually a really long bolt that goes through the entire engine case and holds the engine case halves together.

If that bolt is loose, oil can seep out of the seam between the cases, travel across the bolt because of the sidestand angle, then exit at the footpeg. When tightening, make sure you have a wrench on each end of the bolt. Otherwise it will probably just spin and not tighten up.

This is a fairly common problem when someone removes the right side footpeg mount when messing with the exhaust system.

IP Logged
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Reply #3 - 03/09/16 at 11:04:54

Interesting.  I know that the guy before me did mess with the exhaust.  Do you think that this has anything to do with why the neutral switch is not working?  Maybe some oil got on to it?

Thank you

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 03/09/16 at 11:06:35

if it's not what bobert suggested, check to see if the puke tube is missing the cap.  This is the small-diameter tube that hangs under the bike to vent gunk and should be drained when you do your oil change.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Reply #5 - 03/09/16 at 11:08:15

tocsik,

Thank you,

is this the rubber tube on the kickstand side with the plastic cap?

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 03/09/16 at 11:21:41

JPSavage wrote on 03/09/16 at 11:08:15:
tocsik,

Thank you,

is this the rubber tube on the kickstand side with the plastic cap?

Yup, that's it.  Could easily be the through bolts as suggested.  If so, you want to get those tightened before riding too much.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/09/16 at 11:37:11

JPSavage wrote on 03/09/16 at 10:56:30:
scared to ride it to the shop to see if I can get things sorted out because I'm not sure if there's a bigger issue.  She's in dry dock for now.

It's not a big leak yet, just make sure you have oil before you start it.

looks more like it's dripping off the frame more than the referenced bolts.
look underneath and check the oil drain bolt.

owners manual is in the tech section... look in the index.

WWW   IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #8 - 03/09/16 at 19:52:36

I see oil on the head fins, this could mean you need a new head plug, if thats the issue then make sure to get a verslavy head plug and not just the original replaced with some goop.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 03/09/16 at 20:11:33

When I bought my 96 with 809 miles on it , it too was leaking between the main cases very very slowly it took awhile to locate the leak. Had to tear it down to reseal the cases. It was fun all new gaskets seals orings. Nothing but a good excuse for big bore kit , port the head,cam & rockers,Barnett clutch oh and a Versy's head plug & cam chain tensioner. Tried to tighten the bolts but they were not loose. I think Suzuki  uses some crappy sealant on the main cases and not much of it either !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 03/09/16 at 23:50:52

If you want to take it to the shop, get someone to sit on the bike upright while you look in the oil window on the back of the right rear crankcase cover. if the oil level is between the two marks you should be fine. If you cant get someone get a piece of 6x6" wood about 2 3/4" thick and put the kickstand on that, be careful walking around the bike, by kneeling down to look in the oil level window, you can check your oil level. If the engine is cold, allow a minute or so before making your reading.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #11 - 03/09/16 at 23:54:43

I agree with verslagen check the oil drain plug it is right there!

OilDrainPlugE.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/10/16 at 04:01:46

Ruttly wrote on 03/09/16 at 20:11:33:
I think Suzuki  uses some crappy sealant on the main cases and not much of it either !

Suzuki uses a very good RTV product.  You can't and shouldn't use much of it....because when you tighten the cases together it squeezes out from between the machined surfaces (you don't want thick globs of sealant hanging out the seam.  The product sets up a little bit slower than the common store bought stuff.....and it lasts a lot longer in the toolbox.  Every time I try to use my store bought stuff,  there is a hardened plug of RTV in the end no matter how carefully I put the cap on....the Suzuki stuff never gets that hardened stuff in the tube.  A tube of it may seem a bit expensive - but if you only use a little at a time it will outlast 10 tubes of the store bought stuff.

http://www.rcsperformanceonline.com/Suzuki_Bond_p/suzuki%20bond.htm

It is very common for the cases to leak when the footpeg bolts are loose - or you remove them while doing other work.  Nearly all of them stop leaking once you put the footpeg bolts back in and tighten them up (although they may continue to weep for a little while until the oil trapped in the bolt holes weeps out).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #13 - 03/10/16 at 08:47:39

Agree with Versy- my bike was serviced by a Harley guy just before I bought it- and was leaking from the oil plug bolt.  A new crush washer was all it needed, I think.  

Harley mechanic...simple oil change....Jap bike.... starts leaking oil....no problem to him...."marking its territory"..."that's how you know it has oil in it"....ad nauseum... Roll Eyes

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Reply #14 - 03/10/16 at 09:01:26

Thanks everyone,

I will give all of these a shot over the weekend. Too busy at the moment with work.

Cheers!  Keep the shiny side up!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 20:05:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Today's surprise.  Mystery leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.