ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Loss of power cont.
Reply #31 - 02/11/16 at 13:51:40

jjthejetplane wrote on 02/11/16 at 09:09:19:
I'm going to put in rotella t. I was using Mobil 1.

bingo!  there's your problem  I'm pretty sure OF said with prolonged use may induce slipping.  In fact he said he was getting the issue with RotT6

May take a while but should get better.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 02/13/16 at 19:27:20

The K and N requires a cleaner and a spray can of oil.
While it is drying, either you don't ride or you have a stock unit to stick in.
MyK and N didn't seal off in the air box right.
I would get a stock filter.

At the first sign of slipping, ease off the gas.

If the oil change doesn't solve the clutch problem after a while, IDK, others are more in the know about how to get it back without having to take it apart,, so, once you try everything, whether it's working or not, you gotta go in there and deal with the cam chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 02/13/16 at 19:43:54

Horn and lights good but no starter motor turning?
Kill switch on handlebars?
In neutral?
Sidestand interlock?
A voltmeter ,  
With the meter hooked up to any hot wire and a ground then when you hit the Start button and then the solenoid kicks in the starter motor, that will load the battery and the meter will tell you what the voltage is while the starter is Sucking  amps.
It can't fall very low, and I don't remember what the critical point is.

Now, IF you hit start, And the voltage Doesn't drop, then something is stopping the start circuit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 02/13/16 at 19:49:38

I pulled the battery and put it to charge. It was below 80%. Took about five hrs to get it fully charged so assuming the start switch and the cold killed it. Unfortunately for me, I dropped the screw for the positive terminal and did not hear it tinkle.
So, tmrw I will be out in the street looking for it or at Lowes for a replacement.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 02/13/16 at 20:01:24

What type of cleaner/oil are safe to use on the k&n? Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 02/13/16 at 21:26:29

they sell a cleaner for it, most any auto parts store will have it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 02/14/16 at 05:05:22

Lawn and garden centers, they work on lawnmowers, battery bolts are easy. Take the nut with you. Probably get one free if you go to the back and see the mechanics.
Girl sa y s

I dropped the battery bolt on my motorcycle?
She's gonna get it free if im the mechanic.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 02/14/16 at 07:47:58

I realized that the bolt on my seat is only slightly (like a mm not even) shorter than my battery bolt but has a fixed head. My battery bolt is the one on the right w the washer. Could I swap it out? I'm sure I can ride w my seat minus one bolt and it would save me a trip.

IMG_20160214_104311.jpg
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #39 - 02/14/16 at 08:13:25

Jet Plane,

I am thinking that the battery bolts are stainless steel or some kind of alloy because even when they get corroded they don't rust..

I am not sure how long you want to ride the bike with a seat bolt missing though, I am thinking on a hard turn the seat could slide towards the side that still has a bolt in it.

You should be able to get a stainless steel bolt at Lowe's or Ace Hardware. If you have a motorcycle shop nearby they will have some worn out batteries around and will probably give you a bolt.

Kenny G

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 02/14/16 at 08:23:37

Thanks. I was wondering myself about the material of the screw.  The seat bolt isnt rusted though just a bit dirty. I had a hard time finding one that would fit when I replaced my last battery(mechanic lost that bolt) went to lowes,walmart, advanced and auto zone-ended up having to construct something redneck style with wire under the washer to get a good fit. (It's the Virginia in me.)Each battery I've used has had a diff set of nut and bolts or screw/washer. Worst case I have to make a home depot run later and will try to warm up to the lawn and garden folks.  Kiss   Wink Grinhaha

Thanks and happy Valentine's day everyone!

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 02/27/16 at 13:21:55

Crazy ques guys but I finally put the batt back on and started it up. I had a few tries with no start,lights, horn working. I decided to pull the tank and check the wiring again, disconnected the yellow cable and reconnected it with no luck. So, I decide to disconnect my clutch cable and the o ring and cable were both covered in oil. I couldn't get it reconnected for a good ten mins and the entire inner cable came out in my hand. I inspected it for kinks and saw nothing but once I slid it back in and wiped the o ring down the bike started right up. Could this have been causing my clutch slippage issues?? Would it have run if the cable(inner cable) weren't securely in place? Meaning, is it possible I've been riding with a loosened clutch cable all this time?  Shocked

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 02/27/16 at 13:33:08

Going to assume no. I felt the expected surge of power shifting out of neutral into first, shifting up from second, I started to lose power again and watched the speedometer drop down below 10. I cut the engine and crab walked her home.
Suggestions?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #43 - 02/27/16 at 13:53:52

jjthejetplane wrote on 02/27/16 at 13:21:55:
Crazy ques guys but I finally put the batt back on and started it up. I had a few tries with no start,lights, horn working. I decided to pull the tank and check the wiring again, disconnected the yellow cable and reconnected it with no luck. So, I decide to disconnect my clutch cable and the o ring and cable were both covered in oil. I couldn't get it reconnected for a good ten mins and the entire inner cable came out in my hand. I inspected it for kinks and saw nothing but once I slid it back in and wiped the o ring down the bike started right up. Could this have been causing my clutch slippage issues?? Would it have run if the cable(inner cable) weren't securely in place? Meaning, is it possible I've been riding with a loosened clutch cable all this time?  Shocked

Look at the first picture in the link below. Ignore the rest of the stuff about the leak for now. I
just copied the link for the picture. The cable on the right side of the pic with the round nut on it is the speedometer cable. The cable on the left with the two hex nuts on it is the clutch cable. There is no o-ring on the clutch cable and the only way the inner cable on the clutch cable can slide out of the housing is if the inner cable is broken. The ends wont fit through the housing. I think you may have taken apart the speedo cable.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268286763

As far as the no/start/ no lights goes, I think you need to take another look at your battery bolt repair. You might not have a good connection there.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 02/27/16 at 14:17:55

Thanks. Going to check the link out now. I think the yellow cable under the tank may have been loose just not fully disconnected.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 19:56:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loss of power cont.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.