Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie - Cam chain tensioner (Read 648 times)
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Newbie - Cam chain tensioner
01/29/16 at 11:45:24

Hello everybody. So I recently noticed a tapping/knocking on my bike. This made me very worried, but after an in-depth search of this forum and a couple youtube vids, I decided to start by checking the tensioner.

And to no surprise, the cam chain tensioner was the issue (see pics).

Before I continue with question I want to thank Verslagen1 for his help via email. I look forward to receiving a Verslavy. I should be able to mail it off Monday (Feb 1). We should iron out the details via email.

Now for the questions:
1) Is there a way to tell if I need to replace the cam chain?
2) Do I need to modify or replace the tensioner or is there a quick fix?
3) How in the world do you get the pin off of the ring that holds the housing in place (without scarring it)?
4)Do I need to seal the clutch cover gasket? I was told to never do this with a Japanese engine, and rather you should use a honing stone to find out the edges of the block.... thoughts?

Thats all I can think of for now but I'm SURE I'm leaving something out. Look forward to the replies and thank you!

Shout out to anyone in the Charleston, SC area  Cool

tensioner2.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Newbie - Cam chain tensioner
Reply #1 - 01/29/16 at 12:15:28

joeman wrote on 01/29/16 at 11:45:24:
Now for the questions:
1) Is there a way to tell if I need to replace the cam chain?
2) Do I need to modify or replace the tensioner or is there a quick fix?
3) How in the world do you get the pin off of the ring that holds the housing in place (without scarring it)?
4)Do I need to seal the clutch cover gasket? I was told to never do this with a Japanese engine, and rather you should use a honing stone to find out the edges of the block.... thoughts?

1. With the tension off, operate each link, carefully rotate the engine to get to each link.
put a dab of grease or something on a link so you know when you gone completely around.  You're looking for a stiff link.

Also, the chain will stretch to beyond the adjustment of the adjuster... ie the plunger falls out.  The factory adjuster isn't capable of going to the limit of the chain.

2. a quick fix for a newb I wouldn't recommend.

3. retaining ring pliers, most are a bit too large.  use a small screwdriver to help get the pliers on.  be carefull not to over extend the ring.

4. no

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/29/16 at 16:47:04

First time I went into the engine I used goo on the gasket. No problems with sealing. Second time, I decided to try just a gasket. Looked good the first day. Next day, a few drops of oil in the floor. The bolts held, but, my heart was in my throat. If I had it to do over, I'd use a thin layer of Yamabond or some kinda
Neverdry
gasket goo.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 01/29/16 at 19:00:18

Like JOG I like to smear a thin film of RTV on the gasket. Not blobs or even enough to squirt out mind you but enough to "wet" the gasket.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/29/16 at 23:31:44

Any idea when this phenomenon should happen?
10k Miles, 20k miles, 50k miles, 100k miles???

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 01/30/16 at 07:17:16

10k Miles (depending on how you ride). Less if you ride hard or ride short trips

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 01/30/16 at 15:03:53

Thanks all for the replies. More than helpful.

Bike currently has 25500. I  noticed the tap maybe 600 miles ago, but I assumed it was operating noise... It wasn't until very recently that I said to myself, "hold on now, that noise has gotten much worse!" And decided to look inside. I bought the bike with 24500 on it from an older gentlemen who I judged to be a more conservative rider (he was original owner).

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 01/30/16 at 15:28:44

Well, let me clarify. 10K miles is when you should probably at least check the condition of the tensioner. There have been lots of them go well beyond that mileage.

She's a noisy beast and sometimes it's hard to tell the normal clatter from a tell-tale bad tensioner. Tune your ear to hear anything that doesn't sound right.

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #8 - 02/12/16 at 12:13:58

I just received my new Verslavy cam chain tensioner. Dumb question... but, I install it and then pull the zip tie? correct?

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 02/12/16 at 12:17:09

Never mind. looks like all my answers are right here...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1370518496

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 02/14/16 at 11:16:36

Cam chain tensioner installed. darn thing is still knocking!!! Getting worried its something serious. I noticed the exhaust was leaking where the header meats the block. I put a brand new gasket in there... I re-installed the header thinking that I had done something wrong originally... And of course I had the bracket on upside down.

I fixed all that. Knocking still occurs at idle and the darn header will not stop leaking at the block...

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 02/14/16 at 13:31:23

Could be the valves need adjusting.

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 02/14/16 at 14:26:53

Hmmm... Not sure if I am ready to take on the task of valve adjustment. Any idea how much a mechanic would charge for that?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/14/16 at 14:52:22

Can you somewhat isolate the knocking noise?  My bike got a loose nut on the flywheel, and it started out sounding like a tick....then got much worse and sounded like the whole thing was going to explode.  It was loudest at idle, and as the RPM's increased the banging got to be less noticeable.

One other bike had this same issue....and unfortunately the owner parted out the bike, and only found the loose flywheel nut while parting out the bike, and it was too late at that point to fix it as most of the bike was gone.

The problem in locating the loose flywheel noise - is that the flywheel noise is hard to hear exactly where it comes from.  The flywheel sends the noise through the crank, and the noise sort of sounds like it is banging in the block or lower cylinder.  To check the tightness of the flywheel nut you have to remove the left side of the case, remove the stator with a special puller, and then have a large deep socket.  (The forum has these tools and can rent them out if you want to check this by yourself).

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #14 - 02/14/16 at 16:53:57

I read about this fly wheel issues... I would really hate to have to drop the oil again, but I guess if I kept it clean enough I could re-use it??

I can rent the special tools via this forum? Or from an auto parts store?

Thanks,
Joey

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 03:25:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie - Cam chain tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.