Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie - Cam chain tensioner (Read 648 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Newbie - Cam chain tensioner
Reply #15 - 02/14/16 at 17:16:51

If the auto parts store is closer....  Wink

These guys are awesome! We are all one closely knit family. If you need something - just ask! Someone is sure to loan you a tool, advice, help when you need it.

Smiley

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/14/16 at 17:20:35

You most likely won't find the tools at any auto parts store.

The tools include a flywheel holder that I built, a puller, and a large deep socket.  The tools can be rented for $ 15 - but you will have to pay shipping both ways, and provide a $ 150 deposit until I get the tools back without damage.

You don't have to drain the oil, if you can lean the bike over to the right side....I put a piece of carpet on the floor, and rest the handlebars on a stool. You might want to buy  magneto case gasket just in case you tear the original.

NOTE:  I need to post a sticky about the tools being available.  At this point I "own" the tools....as I paid for them.  The original idea was that members could donate $ 20 and get a lifetime subscription for the loan of the tools - they would only be responsible for the shipping and deposit.  Or a $ 15 fee if you only needed them once.

I can't guarantee that your flywheel is loose - we only have 2 documented cases of a loose flywheel.

« Last Edit: 02/15/16 at 06:16:45 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #17 - 02/14/16 at 19:07:32

Well, this certainly sounds like the best way to approach this situation. I need to sort out my schedule. I also want to see if I can further isolate the noise. We will be in touch soon.

Thank everybody for all the help thus far!

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #18 - 02/15/16 at 06:32:45

I am still so puzzled as to why the header is leaking from where the bracket hold it into the block.... I replaced the gasket and made sure the bracket is on in the right position... Any ideas?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #19 - 02/15/16 at 06:57:28

Joe,

Loosen all of the fasteners on the exhaust system and then wiggle the header around until you know it is fully seated in the head and then carefully tighten the two bolts that hold the header to the head. Use never Seize, or similar, on the bolts and a 1/4" drive socket and wrench to tighten it, and only pull on the ratchet with one hand. If you break one of the bolts off you will be in a world of hurt. After the header is seated and the bolts are tightened go over the rest of the exhaust system and tighten the fasteners.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 02/15/16 at 07:14:30

Are you sure you removed the old header4 gasket before putting the new one in?  Sometimes those old gaskets are so black with carbon it is easy to mistake it for part of the head.

A leaky exhaust might sound a bit like a knock?

Have you checked your valve clearance?  If it is off by more than a thousandth or two (loose)....then maybe you are getting some serious cam/rocker wear and that is the source of the noise.  On the last 4 cylinder heads I have worked on - only one cam/rocker assembly was in good condition, and the other 3 had severe wear on the rockers and cam lobes - and one bike only had 3,800 miles on it.  (This is why we recommend using Rotella T so strongly).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 02/15/16 at 08:53:53

This is why we recommend using Rotella T so strongly)

Which costs less than most oils, yet, we see people use the fancy Dan stuff, and wind up with crippled engines or slipping clutches.

And never let it idle low or on the stand.

Just because
It idles at the right RPM after its warmed up
Doesn't mean that all the minutes it runs in a year WAITING to warm up aren't killing the motor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #22 - 02/15/16 at 11:36:11

Interesting point about the old gasket. It was basically shot. I assumed I got all of it out but I didn't do a very thorough check. I will go back in there before doing anything else. What's the best way to pull out the old gasket? Pop it out with a screwdriver?

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #23 - 02/15/16 at 11:39:43

Also, this is my first savage (first bike at that). I have nothing really to compare its engine sound to. I plan on going to dealership and listening to a brand new one. If there is anyone in the Charleston,SC area who would let me listen to their bike that would be much appreciated.

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #24 - 02/15/16 at 11:58:25

Here is a poorly executed video of the engine noise. I will try and take a better one once I replace the battery (most likely will be on Wednesday). At that time I will also quadruple check the header and exhaust system.

Note: I bought the bike with a drag exhaust from Blue Collar Bobbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2t-v77ejpA&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #25 - 02/17/16 at 21:06:13

I could hear a metallic knock for sure when you had the mic closer to the top end.

An old fashioned trick to isolate a engine noise is to use a long blade screwdriver. Start at the top of the engine and press the blade of the screwdriver against the engine and your ear on the handle. It will act like a stethoscope. With the engine idling move the screwdriver to different points until you hear the noise loudest.

Post your findings.  Cool

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #26 - 02/18/16 at 13:32:37

Should I warm the bike up first? Or is it okay to do this fresh after starting?

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #27 - 02/18/16 at 14:02:48

Do you hear the noise when it's cold and warmed up? If so it doesn't matter.

IP Logged
joeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charleston, SC
Reply #28 - 02/18/16 at 15:30:08

"Do you hear the noise when it's cold and warmed up? If so it doesn't matter."

Makes sense! haha.

Luckily my girlfriend is in medical school so I can use her stethoscope to really isolate the noise! Should have it fully inspected by the end of the weekend or as early as tomorrow!

I will post a pic with a circle around the area. Looking forward to what everyone thinks!

I have a feeling it has something to do with valve clearance, but who knows.... (Luckily if that is the case there is TONS of info here to walk me through the process!)

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #29 - 02/22/20 at 22:50:07

Since I suspected that my cam chain has never been checked and that the tensioner was on it's last leg I removed the clutch cover yesterday and took a couple of pictures. Should I order a new cam chain or just put i Verslagens tensioner?

c_s_t_1.png
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 13:14:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie - Cam chain tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.