Motogadget (Read 126 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Motogadget
02/22/20 at 08:12:49

Well, I finally finished up the wiring on the Moto Linguini/Savage project. Used a Motogadget under the tank and the Motogadget M-Button in the headlight bucket. I started the project years ago, and at the time only the first Gen Motogadget was available. The newer one is even sexier.
Basically, this provides relays and circuit breakers for everything, as well as providing some interesting electronic tricks (one wire to the tail/brake light, different flasher modes, etc).
The M-Button takes all the info from all the handlebar switches and sends it to the Gadget with one skinny green wire. Much tidier wiring. You'll see the green wire on the lower row of the box. I managed to break the rear brake light switch, so that wire is disconnected. Other than that, it all works brilliantly. Much less wiring than stock. And the stock stuff was trashed anyway.
Highly recommend for a major custom build. Maybe not so much for a minor tart-up.

Savage_Motogadget.jpg

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Motogadget
Reply #1 - 02/22/20 at 08:14:09

Right side wiring. Stock coil, K+L supply start solenoid with integral main fuse.

Savage_wiring.jpg

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 02/22/20 at 17:57:11

Well, now I'm going to have to start calling you Mr. Clean!

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 02/22/20 at 19:52:00

Armen wrote on 02/22/20 at 08:14:09:
Right side wiring. Stock coil, K+L supply start solenoid with integral main fuse.

Very cool, thanks for sharing your photos! Where did you buy your M-unit? What does one of these things cost to buy and install?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 02/22/20 at 20:33:54

Thanks Ohio!

Edub,
I got most of my stuff from Revivial Cycles. Good website, lots of good How To vids.
That unit was in the low $300s. Replaced by a new one with more cool stuff. Offered in two versions, low $300s, and low $400s. The M-Button was maybe $80? And I bought their wiring kit.
Did all the work myself. Lots of head scratching.
Makes the wiring so much cleaner!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 02/23/20 at 08:07:54

If I was building a bike that had a compromised harness or custom features I wouldn’t hesitate to use that system. Takes a cluster of wires and lays it out quite logically and cleanly.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #6 - 02/23/20 at 13:52:38

Hooray for more m.unit users! It really does make the rats nest of stock wiring manageable. Was the m.button worth it? Planning on running another m.unit on my wifes bike and the m.button is tempting.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 02/23/20 at 13:55:22

Hey Z,
M-Button was def worth it. Reduced Left Turn, Right Turn, Hi, Low, horn, starter, and front brake switch to 1 wire coming back from the bucket.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 02/23/20 at 16:37:43

I see something in my future.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 02/23/20 at 16:50:21

ZSteele wrote on 02/23/20 at 13:52:38:
Hooray for more m.unit users! It really does make the rats nest of stock wiring manageable.
-------------

I find the stock wiring harness very manageable.   I just left it alone and it works great!   Wink

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 02/23/20 at 17:52:12

If you have a relatively stock bike and a good harness, I'd leave it alone. My bike was a total basket case and became a very modified cafe racer. Stock harness was not an option.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 02/24/20 at 00:47:08

Well I think I could use a used stock harness off the web for about $50 ,when you consider the newer M-unit cost is over $500 without accessories.'
   A stock harness can be made nearly bullet proof with the use of Performix -liquid tape,  ( Lowes/Home Depot about $10) by removing unneeded connections( the rat's nest in the headlight housing for starters)   and sealing  the backs of the rest. I haven't blown a fuse in 25 years .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #12 - 02/24/20 at 05:21:43

Batman,
The M-Unit is under $400 for the high zoot one, and the basic one is a little over $300. So, not over $500 as you said.
Having said that, as I stated, if a bike is basically stock and you have a decent harness, it prob doesn't make sense to go with the Gadget.
$500 means very different things to different people. I work on people's bikes all the time who are very well off. $500 to make the wiring this neat and smart is no big deal to them. Two of the bikes in the garage I work at put $5K in carbon fiber wheels on their Ducatis last year.
I'd be afraid to add up how much $ I have tied up in my Savage project. And that's with me doing all the labor and fabrication. The Gadget stuff was a tiny part of the project cost, and well worth it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 02/24/20 at 11:45:43

M-unit basic $309
M button         97
K&L solenoid   50
M-unit wiring  78
total          $534.00

Guess I wasn't stretching the true too badly. the wealthy People who are lucky to have a talented person like you to work on their bike , God bless them ,but I feel sorry for the ones that don't have a clue of how to do any of their own work. I can't justify a mod that might be half the value of my bike.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 02/24/20 at 19:40:53

To be clear, I was not judging the cost or use of the m-unit.  I think that it's appropriate for some, just as the stock harness works fine for others. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 06:42:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motogadget

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.