Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 61
Send Topic Print
Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris (Read 15390 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Android vs Windows 10
Reply #60 - 02/06/16 at 21:13:47

I'm still getting "suggestions" to "upgrade" to Win 10, which I ignore, but who knows, I may have been "upgraded" without my knowing.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #61 - 02/06/16 at 22:22:01

Not certain, but I think you'll notice...
Eventually,.. Windows wants to force all Windows users to 10...

Once everyone's there,... they will start charging a yearly fee for maintenance and updates...

I'm still using XP... which is no longer supported, and not getting updates...
When it ceases to function... I will go to Linux (which I hate), but I won't be blackmailed into a subscription service.

I think I see the future... and it sucks... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #62 - 02/07/16 at 01:13:24

Myself, I see the usefulness of the android, linux, ect... OS (future) and others like them.
providing the consumer with multiple applications to personalize his/her PC, however... making the software compatible with each other kind of locks everyone into a specific set of parameters for office or business software.(it has to be compatible with everyone's OS)

I will probably go mac for my game (it only runs a windows version and a mac version), so I guess I'll have to save up for two years to be able to afford a mini apple 13" or 15" laptop to play my game(if windows does the charge thing). Who knows, maybe i'll just give it up after 7 or 8 years of playing it, but I doubt it... too much time and effort put into all the aspects of the game.

P.S. back on topic, read this morning on yahoo.... (if you follow the link to ZD net, be aware it will throw up a couple of pop up advertisements, you can close them and read the story)
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-subscriptions-arent-happening-heres-why/

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 02/07/16 at 06:30:58

Ed Bott is a MS apologist, but he makes a valid point that MS isn't likely to charge you a large fee directly associated with the basic Win10 OS.  

But they will use Win10 to lock you into their software world and then force you over the years to upgrade this and that, which they WILL charge you for doing.   Office for example, isn't free, not after the first year anyway.   And Office gets jerked around every year or so, with formatting and features that won't read from one version to the one after next, etc. etc. so you have to keep up fairly closely.

I can see MS packaging Office, etc. inside a premium maintenance package that includes some premium features for Win10 and selling it to you as an optional package.   Get you used to paying a little extra for some premium stuff, get the idea fixed into their ecosystem.

Remember, people are not happy with MS right now -- they are being jerked around and they know it.

And I hate to say it, when things get tight later on MS may decide to raise a little extra revenue from business and whack them for even more OS money as part of their premium package deals.   Then they can toss the uptick in on all the rest of us who want more than the basic level of service.

MS is shrinking, PC is shrinking, and MS is plotting a tiptoe pathway through a minefield of pissed off people to try to keep what market share they currently have.

=======================================

HOWEVER, it is clear FOSS is coming into the OS business in a more comprehensive manner.    I see Android being the vehicle, incorporating hunks of Linux as needed.

Google is funny -- if MaruOS or Jide do manage to put together a winning package set, Google won't wreck their business by rolling over top of it.  

Google would offer to buy them out first, and would give them credit for the unique non-FOSS code they incorporated into Android after paying them for it.   Remember, Android itself started out in just this fashion.  

Or, if an arrangement can be made, they will do like they did Republic Wireless -- let them be the low end provider at the level they have already implemented and take over at a higher position, offering a up level service.

Google is always very careful to respect the FOSS players, something MS never seemed able to even try to do.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #64 - 02/07/16 at 08:13:48

Being basically a Mennonite, I have no idea what a splash page is  Grin
My paln remains unchanged: keep using my windows box for now, with Chrome browser (IE is a great way to load a good browser on your PC after purchase)
When and if MS asks for money or my PC goes wonky, I'll get an android tablet (or maybe before, to save space in my bitty littl trailer)
problem solved  Wink
the power users will figure out their own ways of dealing with it

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #65 - 02/07/16 at 14:45:06

Art Webb wrote on 02/07/16 at 08:13:48:
When and if MS asks for money or my PC goes wonky, I'll get an android tablet (or maybe before, to save space in my bitty littl trailer)
problem solved  Wink
the power users will figure out their own ways of dealing with it

Walmart online has some good deals on android tablets... I just upgraded my last years model and ordered an RCA Viking Pro 10" for $84 /w tax and shipping was free (over $50)
It has more ports (large standard USB, micro USB, mini HDMI) which is very useful, it has 32gig onboard memory.... heck just look it up at the walmart online site... if you buy in store it's like $129 before taxes.
I do a lot of stuff with it, only thing I cannot do is play video intensive games.
I am going to do a factory reset on my last years model and send it to my son... he will love that.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #66 - 02/07/16 at 15:37:47

Amazon has the Fire 7'' tablet on sale for $40 !!! Hard to go wrong with that. Great price for someone to try out a tablet.  
I checked it out to mount on the bike as a ''LARGE'' speedo/moving map, but no gps.  Damm, guess I'll stick with a cheap 5.5'' phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TSUGXKE/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&cr...

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/HOMTOM-HT7-5-5inch-HD-Screen-MT6580A-Quad-Core...

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #67 - 02/07/16 at 21:13:05

You can tether your tablet to your android phone...... and then slap it on your bars and have a HUGE display Smiley

http://www.pcworld.com/article/261928/the_ultimate_android_tethering_guide.html

There are several "how to tether" using android software..... read up and have fun!

That 7" sounds like the cats meow to have with you on trips! You could tether it to your smart phone and not worry about your phone getting wet while using the gps function.
Better to waste a $40 phone than a $75 gps (like I did in the Texas spring run) and you can still use wi-fi at rest stops and other places Smiley

P.S. I just talked a fellow thru using the micro HDMI port to manually feed his Netflix onto his 40" led TV. Some of this "smart" stuff is really useful, if you don't want to pay tons of cash for cable.
Make sure you have a good data plan though (his was unlimited)

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #68 - 02/08/16 at 07:37:45

a 7" tablet is probably great for on the road, but I dunno if it'd work as a 'substitute' home computer or not, I'd definitely need one with a keyboard in order to do forums
Most 10" ones come with, or have ports for, keyboards, and have 5. whatever 'lollipop' like my cell phone, which is supplying my PC with internet access for me to type this, so I know about tethering, at least USB tethering
I think the Kindle has 4. something
In addition, if your tablet has a SIM card port, you can download a 'tablet talk' app 'provided your tablet has speaker and mic) and just plug tour SIM card into it (the folks at ATT store assure me this will work) and you now have a 7, 10, or 11" tablet on which you have internet, and can make and receive telephone calls and texts, then pop the SIM back in your regular phone for carrying around if you don't want to be seen walking around holding a 10" tablet to your head like some sort of loony bin escapee  Grin

for $40 buck the fire might be worth a lookisee though
one bonus is I'd have my 'library' of kindle books with me at all times  Cheesy

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #69 - 02/08/16 at 21:30:30

I pay annually for amazon prime... $99 and you get lots of free movies, tv programs and YES BOOKS..... I down load at least 30 books every two weeks now... I'm getting bad about not putting down the tablet to sleep.

Going to have to limit my reading time to get stuff done in the garage, house, ect... LOL Smiley

Most authors that do series of books put out the first one for free, charge like 1.99 for the 2nd and it goes up from there, I usually read the first one and hardly ever the second, unless it is like .99

I think the annual price is worth it, we have watched tons of free movies and tv shows, and you only have to have computer access cable to watch them. (or wi-fi, or tether)
Also you can get new releases for around $5 to rent, if you can't wait for it to drop to $3 Smiley  
Although some movies will not rent out for about 2 months, so you can store them on your hard drive for around $14.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #70 - 02/09/16 at 08:03:34

Currently I rent movies on DVD and pop them it the computer
I'm told I can get TV out of El Campo if I get rabbit ears but haven't tried yet (I'm not big on TV)
at this time I usually have the radio for noise, and I'm on the computer
If I go places I take a book along, or a device (pretty sure I read some on my phone during the Sisters run, the paper book required an external light source an I didn't want to keep anyone up)
so yes a kindle is tempting, but Prime sort of isn't, due to high data usage needed for TV / movie viewing (I'm careful about Youtube too')
I have unlimited data, but only 5 gig high speed, then it slows way down and videos do a lot of 'buffering)
I could get a mobile hot spot, but only AT7T works well out here, and they rape you on their data
of course, I could use free wifi at many places to download the movies, etc, then watch, the delete
the 7" screen doesn't really appeal much though, my Cell has a 5.5" screen, so a Fire wouldn't be much of a step up
maybe I'm wrong, I'll look at the 7" tablet they have at WM for a size comparison, but i think a 10 or 11 inch would be better
of course for what WM wants in store for a 10" I could get the 10" you got via WM online and a Fire lol

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #71 - 03/07/16 at 07:29:50

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/unuiga-s905-64-bit-arm-based-mini-desktop-remix...

To order or to learn more go here:     http://igg.me/at/unuiga

Remix OS is finding new friends out in the Orient.   This is Charbax, major lives there Dutch type dude who works as an Oriental reporter who is all over YouTube all the time about oriental tech this and that -- he is floating a $25 low cost device that has decent enough specs that uses full windowing Android Remix OS to make a "PC" type device.

More interest is being shown on the step up $45 unit though, with 2 gigs of system memory and 32 gigs of flash memory.   All are using a quad core 2.2 ghz A53 Armlogic chipset -- a low end Cheap powerhouse of a chipset.   The step up unit costs $15 extra bucks and is soooooo worth the tenner everyone will be ordering it.

Some Real Interest now exists in this Remix OS trick .....  it seems to be picking up some steam as the months go by.   The reporter types like Charbax and Brand Linder have spotted them a "change wave" and are following it pretty closely, and both are actually tending to support it now since it works so well in their eyes.

Note: not perfectly yet -- many things inside the PlayStore do not support anything but phone style touch controls -- but it does work well enough to really do some productive stuff for you and to not hassle you while doing it.  

The Android world is developing the trick OPEN SOURCE so the code can move back into general Android releases whenever Google decides it is cooked well enough to become their stock Android "concurrence" mode.

Google always supports their offspring like Jide, so Google will likely put Jide into their PlayStore and provide the OS hooks for it in the OS itself and then donate code to the Jide Project to smooth out any rough edges that they see taking place.    

You see, Jide and Android x86 Projects are free standing FOSS groups that Google will protect and support and contribute to as the whole Project is something Google has promoted all along since they split off 3 of their own people to go front it.

And as MS fully exposes their Win 10 plan, folks like us will be able to opt out of Win 10 World by putting this Remix OS on their existing old PC hardware ---- assuming this grows into a fully functional product that can completely do all that you need it to do.

BTW ..... Your old PC hardware is Grossly Overpowered compared to what Remix OS requires to run like lightning super fast.

Smiley

https://youtu.be/ECRdAoQJKR0

« Last Edit: 03/07/16 at 08:30:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #72 - 03/07/16 at 08:47:09

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/reports-windows-10-redstone-2-release-coming-20...

Reports: Windows 10 “Redstone 2” release coming in 2017

The next major update for Windows 10 is due this summer, but we may have to wait until early 2017 for the next big updated after that.

According to ZDNet, Microsoft had planned to launched the “Redstone 2” update before the end of 2016, but the company has reportedly pushed back that date to coincide with the launch of next-gen hardware from Microsoft.

Does this surprise you, that Win 10 won't even be past the current Beta level release when the free Win 10 offer supposedly ends?    That it is over a year past due type late at this point in time?

Roll Eyes

Does it surprise you that this new "we are awaiting some great new hardware" costs $1,700 and up from the MS Store?

Also, does it surprise you that MS got totally lambasted last week for seemingly trying to create a "walled garden" of overpriced hardware that will be required for their "free" Win 10 OS product going into next year ?????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #73 - 03/07/16 at 08:53:31

essentially, I'm waiting to see what my employer does.
my home computer has always served as a backup/work at home solution.

until my work programs have an android/linex application, I'm pretty much stuck.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 03/07/16 at 10:13:09

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/shashlik-lets-run-android-apps-linux-desktop-en...

"There are nearly two million apps available for Google’s Android operating system, and most are designed to run on smartphones or tablets. But operating systems like Remix OS and Phoenix OS make the case that you could run those apps in a desktop-like environment.

Shashlik is an open source project that takes a slightly different approach. Instead of turning Android into a desktop-style operating system, Shashlik aims to let you run Android apps as if they were native Linux apps".

Don't laugh ---- this same code will work in the other direction as well.    As Android becomes more "powerful" melding with it to produce the "best of all worlds" OS system will become a desirable thing.    There is very much in Linux that is very worth while to preserve and to use for work type productivity stuff ..... and there are 10's of thousands of fun light stuff inside Android to plug in for free and use for a bit for some fun type stuff.    

I am reminded of the free to use metal detector app that is on my cell phone now -- damm useful for when I drop a small nut into the grass, now I can search it right on out again by waving my phone over the grass in two directions while watching the response blip.

Grin

Hey, remember this while Microsoft is all busy pissing everybody off and pricing themselves out the roof ...... go MS go !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 61
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 06:58:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.