Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires...Thoughts? (Read 474 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires...Thoughts?
Reply #15 - 11/12/15 at 16:46:10

Okay so, I got the Shinko 230 Tour Master tires mounted today.  The date on them is 3615.  I will give you my first impressions in two parts because I want to give my evaluation of the tires performance and I also want to give my impressions of going from a 140/80 rear to a 140/90.

So, performance is very impressive for the price.  Handling reminds me of the Pirelli MT75.  I purposely took the bike to a number of different road substrates and textures.  I immediately noticed that the tracking is true no matter how deep the rain grooves and tar snakes seem nonexistent.  imperfections in the road can be felt but are muted.  Stability is instantly noticeable at high speed.  The flatter and wider contact patch delivers comfort and inspires confidence.  In this sense, the 230 reminds me of the Metzeler Marathon ME880. Diving into a tight curve feels unusually comfortable for a cruiser on these tires.  I found myself leaning over considerably further than I would have ever recommended to anyone else.  I did in fact notice that in the twisties I was riding a lot more aggressively than I should have been on new tires.  Overall, for performance/value, I can easily say that this set of tires is a win.  I will of course reserve final judgement once these have some wear and I will revisit this to add more thoughts incrementally as mileage accumulates.  At the moment I will say that I was literally stunned by the performance of these tires for the money.  I would expect to pay more and would have without complaint.

Now I want to touch on the change to the 140/90.  With this new rear tire everything changes.  Riding posture, final gearing, acceleration, top speed, lean angles, responsiveness, everything.  I immediately felt like I was riding a different bike.  Muscle memory developed on the previous 140/80 failed in every way and I instantly understood that I needed to treat the experience as if I were riding a different bike.  I was at once confronted with a sense of apprehension.  That said, this bike was meant to have a 140/90.  It changes the final gearing just enough that I can run around town in second gear most of the time.  The top of second is right around 38 MPH.  the larger tire changes my riding posture just slightly but it is more natural.  Acceleration feels more natural too.  Traversing uneven roads easier.  Course corrections make it feel like a larger bike.  Cruising in fourth no longer sounds labored.  The motor hums at my typical cruising speeds over 40 and doesn't sound labored until long after I'm already breaking the law...which I never do  Roll Eyes Don't get me wrong, if you couldn't break the ton before you're probably not going to after the change, but you will absolutely notice the difference during normal operation and it is so worth it.  If you've been on the fence about going to a 140/90 then let me help give you the nudge you need to do it.  You will not regret it.

So that's it for now.  If you have questions about the Shinko 230 let me know.  I'm happy to help.  Cheers!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/12/15 at 19:43:49

Yeah the tourmaster is one of the best, long lasting tires I have ever used.  The712 is also very good.  I prefer a 130 on the rear.  Of course I spend most of my time in the twistys.  My s40 has never seen an interstate.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 11/13/15 at 07:57:56

chzeckmate:  Now you have me curious.  I bought a theft recovery bike a while back, and it has a Dunlop D404 on the back that is a 140/90-15.  I might have to throw that tire on the bike I have with the stock IRC tires and see how the ride changes.  I also have a 110/80-18 that I could put on the back if I really wanted to do a comparison!

dustystranger:  You prefer the 130/90 over the stock 140/80 for what reason?  Nimbleness, ride quality, gearing, acceleration?

« Last Edit: 11/13/15 at 12:54:29 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 11/13/15 at 12:32:23

Dave wrote on 11/13/15 at 07:57:56:
chzeckmate:  Now you have me curious.  I bought a theft recovery bike a while back, and it has a Dunlop D404 on the back that is a 140/90-15.  I might have to throw that tire on the bike I have with the stock IRC tires and see how the ride changes....

I think you'll be surprised.  The 140/90 makes a lot of changes to the dynamics of this bike.  All of the changes individually are small but together the changes create a whole new experience.  I don't know how the D404 will compare to the stock IRC as far as grip, comfort, and handling, but I would expect it to be better.  The thing about the 230 that I just can't get over is how it has almost eliminated groove wander and tramlining.  This morning around 2am I took the bike to a place that I usually hate to go because of how the horrendous grooves and cracks in the road would send me back and forth across the lane on the IRC.  I have to go there every so often because it's the only way to get to that particular destination.  I have always dreaded it on this bike.  I wanted to see how the 230 would handle there and I was delighted to find that the 230 treated this stretch of road almost like fresh blacktop. If the performance of this tire holds up, it will be my permanent choice.  It's very clear to me now why the 230 is the most popular Shinko.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 11/14/15 at 03:50:24

Not sure I will get any tire testing done today....it is 29 degrees this morning! Shocked

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 11/14/15 at 10:15:54

Take a road trip to Houston.  It's in the 70's here.  Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 11/14/15 at 11:34:03

chzeckmate wrote on 11/14/15 at 10:15:54:

70 right now an hour outside Memphis too.

The 230 on the rear of the Drifterr 1500 is wearing just like the Commanders it had previously. Should go about a year on an 800 pound bike.

I got roughly a year and a quarter out of new old stock 140/90-15s on my Savages, and some of those tires were 20+ years old when installed.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 11/14/15 at 12:31:00

WD wrote on 11/14/15 at 11:34:03:
chzeckmate wrote on 11/14/15 at 10:15:54:

70 right now an hour outside Memphis too.

The 230 on the rear of the Drifterr 1500 is wearing just like the Commanders it had previously. Should go about a year on an 800 pound bike.

I got roughly a year and a quarter out of new old stock 140/90-15s on my Savages, and some of those tires were 20+ years old when installed.

I'm not sure how those time frames translate into mileage.  I'd like to get more than 16 months out of my tires.  I'm putting about 150 miles a week on the S40 right now.  I'm buying a 2013 CBR500R in January and I expect that to change.  I'll probably put maybe 100 miles a week on the S40 then.  I'll be reporting on the wear of my tires as it accumulates.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 11/15/15 at 17:20:34

Well I wasn't/didn't move the Dunlop D404 over to the stock Savage to try.  I measured the width and looked at the fender clearance on the bike it is mounted on, and it won't clear the saddlebag brackets even with the low profile bolts I used to mount them.  The stock IRC 140/80-15 measures 132mm wide - the Dunlop D404 in the 140/90-15 size measured 142mm.....it is 10 mm wider.

Perhaps the Shinko isn't that wide - the Dunlop has a big chunk of rubber molded onto each side of the tire where the tread meets the sidewall, and this sticks out pretty far and would hit the saddlebag support bolts.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 11/17/15 at 05:53:26

Dave wrote on 11/15/15 at 17:20:34:
Well I wasn't/didn't move the Dunlop D404 over to the stock Savage to try.  I measured the width and looked at the fender clearance on the bike it is mounted on, and it won't clear the saddlebag brackets even with the low profile bolts I used to mount them.  The stock IRC 140/80-15 measures 132mm wide - the Dunlop D404 in the 140/90-15 size measured 142mm.....it is 10 mm wider.

Perhaps the Shinko isn't that wide - the Dunlop has a big chunk of rubber molded onto each side of the tire where the tread meets the sidewall, and this sticks out pretty far and would hit the saddlebag support bolts.  

The Shinko 230 140/90 is 144mm at its widest point and clears the stock saddlebag support bracket bolt fine.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - 11/17/15 at 06:21:57

Update:

It rained here in Houston through the night and I took the opportunity to test the wet performance of the 230.  I'm absolutely thrilled with the results.  The wet performance would hold up against any major brand tire and outperform most.  I took the bike out to several places where I routinely have trouble with traction.  A manhole cover, some painted road markings, and a gravelly patch specifically.  I took on these hazards at my usual pace and they felt as good as dry road.  I went back over them several times increasing speed each time to the point of maybe being a little reckless and came away with a wider smile each time.  I really like these tires in the wet.  I'll be able to ride with confidence in any weather condition now and that's what I was really looking for.  These tires get my stamp of approval as a great all weather and all road surface tire.  I do hope the performance holds up over time.  I'll report on that as I accumulate more mileage.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 11/17/15 at 09:58:39

Glad the tire is proving to be a good fit to your riding style and needs.

I did some math:

The stock 140/80-15 IRC tire is supposed to be 128mm wide on their chart (I measured 132mm wide), it has a rolling distance of 75.681".

The Shinko 130/90-15 is supposed to be 129mm wide according to their chart, and it has a rolling distance of 76.058" - which is an increase of 1.005% in gearing.  With the stock IRC tire at 4,000 rpm you would be going 3,980 rpm to keep the same speed with the 130/90 Shinko (dropped 20 rpm).

The Shinko 140/90-15 is supposed to be 142 wide (close to your 144 measurement), and it is supposed to have a rolling distance of 78.28" - which is an increase of 1.0343% in gearing.  At 4,000 rpm with the stock IRC you would be going 3,866 rpm at the same speed with the larger 140/90 (dropped 133 rpm).

I will try and fit the Dunlop on with the saddlebag brackets.....just to see if it can work.  I really would like to see how it rides/handles....then throw on the 110/80-18 and see if I can feel any big change in handling.  (I would hope I can notice a change!)

« Last Edit: 11/17/15 at 11:45:57 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 11/17/15 at 10:26:09

I'm confused...
Shouldn't a 3 inch difference on a length of less than 100 inches, be over 3%?...

I suck at math...(I tried the calculator, and got the same % as you did)...
Wear has my logic failed me?...

I guess I suck at logic, too... Grin...

3,.. is 3% of 100... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #28 - 11/17/15 at 10:36:05

I've been running 140/90 15 since the stock IRC wore out. I've had no complaints. There was a post here about the 140/90 having more unsprung weight, which supposedly conspires against handling. I've had no issues with this and lets face it, our bikes aren't really sport machines or super bikes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 11/17/15 at 11:00:10

Serowbot wrote on 11/17/15 at 10:26:09:
I'm confused...
Shouldn't a 3 inch difference on a length of less than 100 inches, be over 3%?...

I suck at math...(I tried the calculator, and got the same % as you did)...
Wear has my logic failed me?...

I guess I suck at logic, too... Grin...

3,.. is 3% of 100... Undecided...

I dunno.....I think Verslagen caught me making this mistake before.

I took 78.28 and divided it by 75.681....and the result was 1.0343.

(I also tried Serobot's idea and took 100 and divided it by 97....and I got 1.0309). Huh
(And I took 53 and divided it by 50.....and got 1.06)?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/19/24 at 01:17:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires...Thoughts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.