Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seat and control position for tall people. (Read 106 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Seat and control position for tall people.
11/19/15 at 12:03:53

I realize I am not the first person to bring this up this question, but I have some personalized questions.
If anyone remembers me from my first posts, you may remember that I have steep terrain, gravel, and sometimes even mud to cross. With this in mind, what would be the best seat height and control positioning for me with a 32 inch inseam at 6'1"? I tend to prefer leaning forward on the highway rather than back as it makes me feel more stable and less prone to wind buffeting. However, the high degree of hip flexion can be bad on the back, especially if I try to set the high heels of my logger boots on the pegs. If I raise the seat height, then I will raise my center of gravity, partly negating the stabilizing effects of leaning forward. If I place the pegs too far forward, I may feel vulnerable in that respect. However, having a scrunched up back is no good either. What do I do? Undecided

I have seen some examples of the Sportster seat mod, and that looks pretty good. Does it raise the height much? would that be a good idea? Should I get a bench seat and convert to standard controls? Would forward controls be a better idea? As much as I bend my elbows, the stock handlebars work pretty well so far. They feel much better than my  (or my Dad's-- not sure which at this point Roll Eyes) '83 Shadow. The Savage has a very secure feel compared to that thing Tongue.

My Savage is my first bike and the only one I ride on the highway. The only other bike I have also has mid controls, so I really don't have any personal experience from which to draw.

Speaking of Sportster, I may have the opportunity to pick up an old XLCH kick/electric start for $2500. I have really been considering it, but I am poor and live with my parents. Dad would have to help me buy the thing as I don't have that much money. If I was going to get a Harley anytime soon, some cheap old Sportster like that would probably be it. But I am concerned that it is too much money and too much trouble, especially when I can't really afford it. The Savage is dirt cheap and worry free, and no one wants to steal them (unlike Harleys). Besides that, I am not interested in giving up my cheap little Savage anyway. I am a commuter, so I would worry just how worrisome an old Sportster would be, especially with the added investment, theft risk, and other expenses. Sad  Undecided
--An awful lot of risks to take for the Harley experience.  Undecided Sad

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Seat and control position for tall people.
Reply #1 - 11/19/15 at 12:45:50

you should buy some of the forward controls from the members here...bet that would help a lot...I've not yet tried them but the reviews are pretty much awesome...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 11/19/15 at 12:58:24

Stay with dirt cheap and worry-free! What's not to like?
Doing more with less is a great way to live. A used harley shouldn't be on your horizon until your situation changes. End of lecture Cool

The standard controls with maybe a slightly higher seat should suit your inseam. A flatter handlebar would also help. Cheers! Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/19/15 at 13:33:01

Doing the HD seat mod will raise you up an inch or so.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/19/15 at 21:38:42

as far as seat height negating the effects of leaning forward, Ride a sportbike
Notice how high your butt is in the air?
still feels stable though, don't it?
I sometimes put my feet on the rear pegs on the highway to get more lean without folding up, works a treat
Just don't try it on a BUSY road

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/19/15 at 23:30:34

Cheap 24,

I am not quite as tall as you, I am about  six ft and 30 inch inseam. I felt really cramped, and cut the risers off to 2 inches which helped.

I recently had 2 inches of additional foam added to the drivers portion of the seat on my S40. Now the bike is starting to fit me and I am able to lean into the corners much better than with the original position.

I can now sit much further back on the seat as I too like to lean forward when riding at highway speeds. I tried to attach a pic.

Kenny

IMG_04501_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:25:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat and control position for tall people.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.