Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires...Thoughts? (Read 474 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires...Thoughts?
11/09/15 at 02:07:41

I need a new set of tires and my situation demands something budget friendly.  I'm looking at the Shinko 230 Tour Maaster set seen here http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/shinko-230-tour-master...

Thoughts?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires...Thoughts?
Reply #1 - 11/09/15 at 03:42:29

If you are going with the 100/90-19 front and 130/90-15 rear option, the Shinko 230 is a good choice for an affordable set of tires.......and you can also go to the 140/90-15 rear as well.  The reviews on Bike Bandit seem to be really good for this tire (It is a shame however that the reviews are always made when the tire is new and folks don't have much experience with the durability of the tire).  The tread pattern is a bit unconventional when compared to other modern tires.

If you go to the 100/90-19 front and 140/90-15 rear, you might also consider the Shinko 712.  It has a more conventional tread pattern - not sure if the center groove on the front tire would cause it to want to follow grooves in the pavement.....a lot of tire companies have a zig/zag pattern in the center groove to help stop the tire from following rain grooves (in the review for the 712's no one mentioned this as being a problem). All of my bikes sometimes try to follow the pavement grooves a tiny bit....regardless of the tire I have on the bike.

For the price of these tires, and with free shipping, if you are mounting the tires yourself....they will get you a new set of tires at a really good price.  

« Last Edit: 11/09/15 at 04:56:33 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 11/09/15 at 09:24:17

Have the 230 on the back of the 1500 Drifter. Wears the same as the last Michelin Commander 2 we had on it. Drifter is 77hp and over 800 pounds.

Have the 712 on the front of my 03 Savage. Has gone 2 summers and change while I've owned the bike. Pine (FSO) had it put on the bike in 2013 when he owned it. It does like to rut track, but with the good wear characteristics, fair trade off.

I need to do my rear tire, today. Swapping the complete assembly off the 2003 for the complete assembly off the 1998. Going from a completely worn smooth and square Dunlop Qualifier (1994 or 2004 coded, Intruder 800 oem tire) to a Cheng Shin that was installed in 2000 and still has about 4 months worth of tread on it... After that, I'll swap on the tire (almost no miles Kenda 130/90-15) installed on Lisa's deceased 800 Intruder.

I run them until they are slicks or the sidewall lets go.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 11/09/15 at 12:10:08

Dave, I'm definitely going to go with a 140/90.  I do believe the zig zag pattern does help with tracking.  The price is certainly a factor.  I'm currently in need of a value option and the 230's price tag is about as high as I can go right now.  There are other tires that are cheaper but, as you mentioned the reviews play a role in the choice.  I too wish there were more reviews after some mileage and experience.

WD, It's good to hear that the wear for the 230 is comparable to the commander.  I'm really interested in how it does in the wet.  The reason I'm not going with the 712 is I have a little experience with that tire.  The wet performance of the 712 is lacking, IMO.  I'm willing to spend a little more for the 230 for better wet performance, but I'm only going off of reviews and second hand information.  I really worry about wet performance on the Savage. Once in a slide, the Savage is unforgiving.  It's not like my Aprilia, where I can be in a full slide and the Battlax tires will grip at the last millisecond and the bike will right itself. I'm not expecting the 230 to make the Savage do that, but If I can avoid the slip to begin with, that would be ideal. The stock IRC tires wet performance is not good either.  That's why I didn't go with that value option.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/09/15 at 12:46:04

The tire manufacturers that make really good "wet weather" tires like to talk about their "silica tread compound" that makes the wet weather performance so good.

The Shinko website doesn't mention Silica....but claims they are good in the wet or dry.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/230-tour-master

My only current experience with riding in heavy rain is on Sport Touring tires...Pirelli Sport Demons and Bridgestone Battlax BT45.  I have on occasion ridden pretty aggressively through the rain to get somewhere warm and dry......and I am amazed how much traction they provide in the wet.  However- I always slow down for wet leaves, manhole covers, railroad tracks....and especially wet crosswalk and turn arrow striping.....those painted surfaces are really slick when wet.

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/09/15 at 18:36:10

Hey Czech,

I put knobbies on mine and have my old tires just sitting around.  The front tire is removed, the rear is still mounted to the wheel (not on th bike.) You are welcome to the tires if it would help you.  I live in Huntsville, so I'm guessing we could find a way to pass them off.  I'm traveling tonight and will be home tomorrow evening. I could take a couple pics then for you to see the tread and such.  Dunlops if I recall correctly.  I bought the bike used and immediately starting changing things, so I didn't pay a ton of attention to what was on there...  

Totally understand if you'd rather go new, just thought it might help if the budget is tight.  Smiley

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/10/15 at 00:24:41

xaman wrote on 11/09/15 at 18:36:10:
Hey Czech,

I put knobbies on mine and have my old tires just sitting around.  The front tire is removed, the rear is still mounted to the wheel (not on th bike.) You are welcome to the tires if it would help you.  I live in Huntsville, so I'm guessing we could find a way to pass them off.  I'm traveling tonight and will be home tomorrow evening. I could take a couple pics then for you to see the tread and such.  Dunlops if I recall correctly.  I bought the bike used and immediately starting changing things, so I didn't pay a ton of attention to what was on there...  

Totally understand if you'd rather go new, just thought it might help if the budget is tight.  Smiley

Wow, that's really generous of you to offer.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.  I actually went ahead and ordered the Shinko 230 set (100/90, 140/90) a couple of hours before you posted.  I'm going to call the customer service tomorrow and ask them if they can cancel the order. If they will do that then I would love to take you up on your offer.  That would give me the time I need to put more money together and buy a good quality set later when it's not such a hardship for me.  One way or another we should definitely get together since we're in the same neck of the woods.  Cheers!  I really appreciate it!

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/10/15 at 05:51:15

Sure thing, just let me know. I'll be home this evening  Smiley

IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #8 - 11/10/15 at 06:42:07

Working at a Yamaha shop and we sell tons of the Shinkos. People love them for the price and reliability. Only downfall I see is they wear a little faster than others.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/11/15 at 17:30:06

xaman wrote on 11/10/15 at 05:51:15:
Sure thing, just let me know. I'll be home this evening  Smiley

I tried to call customer service yesterday but was on hold for too long and had to get back to work.  Was going to call today, but before I got a chance they had already arrived.  I'm going to go ahead and mount them.  The rear is definitely wider than the stock IRC 140/80, but I know others have mounted it without issue so I don't anticipate any problem.  I'll post pics when it's done.

@xaman, I really appreciate you buddy.  We definitely need to get together sometime since we're so close.  I'm working every day now from early morning to late at night, but I expect that to change soon.

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/11/15 at 18:37:37

Those look great to me.  I've had good luck with Shinkos, in fact that's what I'm running on my savage now (804/805) series.  

Hopefully we can connect for a ride before it gets too cold to be enjoyable.  But I just took my savage to the doctor in OK for a few weeks visit.  I'll have to ride my DR650 until the savage comes back.

Good luck mounting those tires.  Do you have a machine, or are you doing it the old fashioned way???

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/11/15 at 19:33:15

I've got connections at the shop up the street. I'll have it done tomorrow if I can get to it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 11/12/15 at 04:43:23

I am looking forward to your ride report and long term testing of these tires - so you can give us a report on the Shinko 712 vs. 230 performance.

I am always a bit reluctant to order tires in the fall, as we get winter up in this area and it will be 5 months before I can use them again.  Most likely the tires were made a few months ago....so the tires are a year old before I ever get to use them.

What are the date codes on the sidewall?  There will be a 4 digit code that is melted into the tire when it is made that shows the week and date the tire was made.  Most likely the code on your tires will look something like "1315" - which would be the 13th week of 2015.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/12/15 at 08:31:17

I'm just about ready to get new tires also...
I'm a Shinko fan... and will have to choose between the 712's and the 230's...
The 230's cost just a bit more, but  are supposed to wear longer...
Having 2 bikes has cut my yearly mileage down to 3 or 4 k on the Savage...
...with most trips over 100 miles round trip, being relegated to the Sportster...

I will likely stick with the 712's...  (unless the dealer gives me a sweet deal)...
The 712's prettier... Grin Grin Grin...
Pretty, pretty, pretty... that's what counts in a tire... Roll Eyes...

No offense... those 230's are pretty too... Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 11/12/15 at 13:33:41

What you really need to buy......is the Shinko Smoke Bomb tire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlHju3StRWQ

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 21:24:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shinko 230 Tourmaster Tires...Thoughts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.