Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Savage only tops out at 60 (Read 1939 times)
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Re: Savage only tops out at 60
Reply #15 - 05/12/15 at 03:22:59

Same petcock, I've ordered a new air filter, would be here in a couple days

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/12/15 at 03:40:26

Where do you live?  If there is another forum member local they could come by and make sure your bike is operating normal and ready for higher speeds.  Sometimes the clutch can slip if folks have used car oils with friction modifiers.....and that would allow the rpm to climb as you applied more throttle.

(Go to your Control Panel and change your setting so your home town shows up when you post).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #17 - 05/12/15 at 05:26:51

This morning I had my bike at 50 and still pulling in 3r,meaning I could have gone further in third, when I went to 4th I Was still pulling and hit 60, and could have gone faster easily. Had to slow down before I got too close to the car in front of me. I think it likes to run in the cool temps better than the higher 70/80s, yesterday it was chilly and it ran great as well. 50-55 in 3rd before I entered 4th. The engine sounds fine, I know what the cam chain tensioner is and I don't think its the issue. There is a noise but its just the sound of the headlight rattling. A lose heat shield and the actual sound if the engine ( you can hear the piston and gearsmoving at idle up close as well as when in riding, but it isn't an inconsistent knock that would suspect a bad tensioner) overall I think its fine, I just need to rev it more!

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #18 - 05/12/15 at 05:59:01

I've ordered this petcock when I painted my tank a few weeks ago, but didn't know how to work the odd looking filter as its non vaccume. Says its compatible with savage. Brand new, could I put this on and would it benefit? Its non vaccum

_1.JPG
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #19 - 05/12/15 at 06:26:51

You might want to eliminate the fuel filter. There has been a lot of anecdotal evidence on this site that Savages can be finicky about inline fuel filters. Unless your tank is a rusty, scaly mess inside there is no need for it. The little screens on the petcock should be enough block anything big enough to cause a carburetor/fuel issue.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #20 - 05/12/15 at 06:33:24

It's interesting that you got the petcock as a kit. Is it a genuine Yamaha petcock? There are chinese knockoffs that have a smaller diameter outlet nipple and don't pass as much fuel as the real thing.

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #21 - 05/12/15 at 06:34:16

Sounds like a solid plan. I'll put it on this weekend. Also, whenever I turn the engine off and park it, I turn the petcock to reserve. Previous owner said to do it so the carb doesnt flood. I know the middle positions requries a vaccum to suck fuel in, its just a habit. Does this do anything or dies it not matter turning it to reserve when its off?

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #22 - 05/12/15 at 06:35:22

Its not genuine, its a no name. I mean I can still use it right?
It says its a non vaccume, is this alright? Is the stock petcock non vaccume as well?

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #23 - 05/12/15 at 06:55:56

If it works, it works. Recommendations on this site are to use genuine Yamaha, as some people have had problems with the knockoffs not passing enough fuel or developing leaks.

RE turning to reserve when parked. That does NOT shut off fuel to the carb. It is the same result as leaving the petcock in the ON position. You need to manually turn it to OFF. The idea of all petcock valves (vacuum or manual) is to cut off the fuel supply to the carb. This is to keep gasoline from flooding the carb or crankcase or your floor in case the carb float valve doesn't properly shut off fuel to the float bowl.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 05/12/15 at 07:07:22

That is the kit offered by Windsor Cycles....SuperThumper is the fellows name on this forum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Fuel-Petcock-Kit-1986-2015-Suzuki-650-Savage-L...

It is a not genuine Yamaha.....it is no better or worse than the other Chinese petcocks.  The outlet is a bit smaller than the genuine Yamaha part....and I agree that you should not be using a fuel filter as the outlets are too small to pass fuel/air properly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 05/12/15 at 07:09:42

bobert_FSO wrote on 05/12/15 at 06:55:56:
If it works, it works. Recommendations on this site are to use genuine Yamaha, as some people have had problems with the knockoffs not passing enough fuel or developing leaks.

RE turning to reserve when parked. That does NOT shut off fuel to the carb. It is the same result as leaving the petcock in the ON position. You need to manually turn it to OFF. The idea of all petcock valves (vacuum or manual) is to cut off the fuel supply to the carb. This is to keep gasoline from flooding the carb or crankcase or your floor in case the carb float valve doesn't properly shut off fuel to the float bowl.

By George I think he's got it!

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 05/12/15 at 09:06:27

Makes you feel good when the newbies finally start offering good advice, now doesn't it?

Now that the current petcock mess of the week has been handled, how 'bout taking that oily greasy gas smelling mess out of the cafe and put it back in RSD where it belongs?

I'm getting ready to eat my croissant steak, egg and cheese and even the very thought of stale gas and  leaky petcocks is taking my appetite away --- plus Alice is complaining about her floors getting messed up again (yer scooter is dripping stuff on the floor).

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #27 - 05/12/15 at 10:06:18

Ordered a raptor petcock. Alls well should make it run better than it already does

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #28 - 05/12/15 at 10:30:44

now you're cookin with gas

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #29 - 05/12/15 at 13:31:44

well coming home today, In third at 45 it was jumping forward a bit at high revs, so I went to 4th. Cam home and there was oil on the left side cooling fins in the middle of the head. Its been leaking when I rev high a lot since I got it, previous owner said it did it when he owned it but its no big deal just let it weep, as long as the oil level is fine its fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:08:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage only tops out at 60

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.