Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015 (Read 3292 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
Reply #255 - 10/08/15 at 02:58:51

Baaaahh .....  

Baaaahh .....  

BAAAAAAAA !!!!     BAAAAAAAA !!!!

So, no more sick jokes about slipping your cold feet into a nice warm set of Wool-fest socks, huh?

Smiley

Winter approaches, and thoughts have to turn away from cycling to shooting stuff.  

I just laid in a 30 round pressure series on 160 grain bullets out of my 7mm-08 as we have some RL19 powder and some 160 grain high BC bullets and a NEW cubic boron nitride coating system that claims to be able to do what no man has ever done before using the .308 case size.

2,800 + fps second out of a 22" tube with a 160 grain slug jest sounds a jest a leetle too good to be true.   As does being able to march on past book max on RL 19 because the super slick bullet coating blunts the top of the pressure curve and ups the exit speed even out of a moderate length barrel.  

I suspect these thingies might kick a mite, too.    Make an elk gun out of my little 7mm-08, right.  

MM thinks I load too hot already, but he's wrong, the fired primers he sees that look all funny are due to using a chamfer tool to remove military primer crimps -- gives a angle mouth to the primer pocket that the primer must then conform to full up the empty space, so they all look flattened, even at normal load ranges.  

Since there are burrs involved in this chamfering process, some fired primers do leak a little gas.   But remember, .308 machine gun brass is designed to operate in HOT AS HELL machine guns (raises pressure a lot) and the case does not expand at the web more than .0005" on any of my rounds, which is how I judge the load pressure is getting "too hot".

Wink

I also priced some 104mm used Ebay pistons out of a Subaru Forester at $35 each, but have decided to let that go on by again this winter as my bike runs good now except for the little oil weepie thingie.    

Heck, if I leave it alone it may outlast me.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #256 - 10/08/15 at 03:02:35

We went to Woolfest!  Bad weather never keeps anybody away form Woolfest....sometimes they have to pull the cars out of the muddy parking lot with tractors - but that doesn't stop anybody from going.   It is the social event of the year in that county.  Evidently the area was a huge wool producer 100 years ago, and they still have a celebration.

We wore rain gear, boots and took an umbrella, and had a great time as usual.  We bought home made Ketchup, a broom from a man who makes them while you wait, a coffee cup to give to my sister that says "I smile because you are my sister......I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!".  My wife went back with a friend on Sunday (I went for a motorcycle ride).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #257 - 10/08/15 at 12:04:06

Well, I guess i'll talk about riding my motorcycle all year long, so you guys will know what it is like and won't miss it so bad.... wait.... you probably will miss it more...

Ok, i'll ride and gripe about how cold it is riding.... um, well, that probably won't happen until about January.... but i'll do it! Smiley Cheesy  Wink

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #258 - 10/08/15 at 23:12:18

We should all meet at OldRiders in Jan.   for a nice Cool Ride ! 😊

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #259 - 10/14/15 at 07:59:14

You are talking still, until somebody posts trip dates and a firm location and a commit listing you are jest chatting on the subject.

We got lots of potential trips, but somebody has to take it to the next step and do the research on the camp locations or whatever.

The group can tent, but actually seems to prefer a cheap cabin if it can be had.

Next, an exploratory trip need never to plan to have more than 3 people as more than that is "circumstances at the last minute" coming in to play.

You can get a small trip together much easier than a larger trip.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #260 - 10/14/15 at 22:24:09

well   Tongue   if OldFeller is willing to ride to Florida in Jan. ...   Roll Eyes ... Then I will too !  Cool

Old Rider , recon you could find us a cheep cabin ?   since there ain't no curves in Florida --- where is there to ride to ?    
Or
Should we just wait till March and go to Bike-Week so we can get out on the race track and "Demo" some new bikes ?  Wink   I'll bet there are some curves on the track that we could take at full throttle !  Grin

anybody ever "Demo'ed" during Bike Week ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #261 - 10/15/15 at 20:39:35

LOL! a cabin?  I'm not sure they have such things here. Smiley

I did rent a pop-up camper for my folks about, um, 30 years ago, from Eglin AFB MWR (recreation rentals).

More like an RV spot, there are tons of those around. I'll look and see what is available here in the area. Gulf breeze (20 minutes away) has a National campground right on the Gulf, you should be right near the wave action on the beach!

If you would like, we could actually rent a pontoon boat from Hurlburt AFB... (I would take the captains class) and do some trolling up and down the sound.... and hope the water isn't choppy... LOL Smiley

Eglin does have a campground and I could more than likely get you a spot in January because NO ONE IS CRAZY ENOUGH TO CAMP THEN  Shocked Grin LOL, and I would have to get you a pass to get on base, but it shouldn't be a problem if you aren't a felon or something Smiley

But seriously, if you guys want to hit this area up, I have a fold out queen couch in the living room and a queen bed in the 3rd bedroom (warmer inside). The beach is near, 10-20 minutes, depends on which direction. The only good ride is about 20 minutes long, riding along the Navarre beach road to Pensacola Beach, it takes you right along the Gulf of Mexico and you can see it from the road, view this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNZxxCnrXw .
We could head out to Destin Florida (tourist trap) along highway 98 over Okaloosa Island (more beaches) and out to Grayton Beach, or Blue Mountain Beach (no mountains, just beach) which are also tourist traps. (high dollar eatin' and souveniers).
There is a biker bar on a bayou up near Freeport
https://www.facebook.com/michael.mcginnis.182?fref=ts

Do some looking on the net for the "Emerald Coast", Fort Walton Beach, Navarre or Destin, Florida... if you see something that interests you, let me know Smiley

It does get down into the 30's here in Jan and Feb, but the days sometimes get up into the mid 60's... (that's during a cold snap).
Average temps are usually in the 40's at night and mid to upper 60's during the day though.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #262 - 10/16/15 at 07:55:19

You are getting closer to planning something.  You got a spot and you are looking at Bike Week as a proposed time with something to do.

Bike Week next year is March 4–13, 2016 which is also the start of better weather.

Bike week is sorta crazy crowded, isn't it?   It does have lots and lots of things for activities but you are likely going to be in line with a bunch of Hurleys to get there.

Hurleys rule on them straight Florida roads -- I'd think I'd take a pass on that one and wait to eat my well separated Hurley bacon up in the mountains.    

Hurley guys in a group tend to beat the shite out of you for the least flimsiest excuse, you know .....    

Roll Eyes     .... Hey, I dunno why he fell over, go ask him.   Heck no, I didn't kick his fender as I went by, he musta hit a pot hole or drug his floorboards  .......  besides, I was already down the road when he went over.

MM could ride his Harley and fit right in.   This leaves a bed open for somebody else if you are going to Daytona Beach Bike Week.

« Last Edit: 10/20/15 at 08:38:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #263 - 10/18/15 at 05:04:07

Well, Daytona is a bit of a ride from here.... I'm in west florida... although we do have a kinda bike weekend in Panama City Beach called "Thunder Beach", there are two a year. The next one is Oct 21st-25th and the spring one is Apr 27th-May1st.

http://thunderbeachproductions.com/rally-info/events/603-thunder-beachr-autum...

There are "events", but I've never gone to any of them, there are several different "Avenues" or meeting area's were vendors ply their trades and bands play music, there was one that had a stunt show last year, and a motorcycle high-wire act (kinda cheesy though, I never did like circus acts).

It is an interesting thing to do to see all genre of motorcycles, and a plethora of Harley types.... but I have fun just walking around and looking at stuff, its a great way to waste a day.

If you guys are headed to Daytona, I've never been....might prove to be interesting, but does sound like the one we have here....lotsa noise and crowds Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #264 - 10/18/15 at 07:25:27

Your right OldRider , "Great way to waist a day" .   It was good to walk around and see all the vendor set-ups last year.   I must have read 2000 helmet stickers !  some of them from walks of life I've never thought of before !   Undecided  
also
Last year the weather turned chillier as the week wore on  Tongue   I bought a insulated pair of nylon bib-overalls to ride home in , and a jacket to match.  Wink

April might be a better time to ride North Florida.

some brochure I had said something about test ride at the race track but I didn't check it out (happy with both my bikes) , but after thinking about it ... perhaps I should have ?  
I'm still happy with my bikes but ???  Roll Eyes I walked into the Kawasaki shop the other day and sat on their new 650 twin --- it felt good  Cheesy . but it was CHAIN DRIVE  Sad .

After being "Grounded" all winter , a spring ride is defiantly in Order !  Texas , then Florida , then ...  yeeeea - haaaaw  till cold weather sets in again !  

No HELMET LAW in Florida !

Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #265 - 10/19/15 at 07:18:17

New Runs listing

Thunder Beach Run, Apr 27th-May1st     Location of run is Panama Beach / St. Augustine

http://thunderbeachproductions.com/rally-info/events/603-thunder-beachr-autum...

Old_Rider can bed host two people and he has MM and Oldfeller as his first takers.   Got room lots of tent space in his yard though.

========================================

Twisted Sister Run, Texas Hill Country  Mid to Late April       (final dates not determined yet)

Sign up and discussion thread is http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438888894/72#72

« Last Edit: 10/20/15 at 08:39:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

NewMapInner.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #266 - 10/19/15 at 07:37:29

Now we got to spot us a date to go see Dave's Farm and ultra lite some 20 pound catfish and shoot a gun some.

I will also encourage the Twisted Ones to put a date to their event so it can join this listng of rides.

Dave, what is cooking for known events around the Cincinatti area in the late spring early summer  (as are seen in your area weather-temperature wise)?

Note: If we fill up on these new runs in the late spring early summer we may drop the spring run to the NC mountains as Dave and I still have to schedule vacation as we are still working.

We would likely want to do a fall run anyway, probably a Big Dog run, but maybe not as Blue Ridge has some very good roads around it too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #267 - 10/19/15 at 07:56:41

Dave, please drop us a sticky for NEW RUNS LISTING -- 2016  and I will populate it in proper date order with each new run with a link to each set of folks discussion threads.

This way folks can oggle the wonderful selection of things to do that are Worth Doing and go join the ones they are interested in.

You may want to put the already done runs back in the general Cafe section, they will drop off the front page but will always be able to be searched for.

« Last Edit: 10/19/15 at 09:49:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #268 - 10/19/15 at 23:40:26

Long as I'm home for Hay Season (last of May-middle of June) I can work around the rest of the chores !  Roll Eyes

I might finally get that Michelin Commander II broke in !  Grin  13,000 miles and going good .  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #269 - 10/20/15 at 04:34:10

OK....I will open a "sticky" for the 2016 ride suggestions/schedule.

I am not sure of any local events worthy of scheduling a riding weekend around.....or when the weather is proper.  May can be nice - but is really iffy....our Appalachian Festival was always the 2nd full weekend in May (Mother's Day), and it could be 80 and sunny or 40 degrees and rainy, and most years is was rainy that weekend. June and July this year were the wettest in 140 years and the contractors got nothing done outside.......and I got very little riding done in those months.  Most likely August/September are the most reliable for weather.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 14:06:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.