Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015 (Read 3292 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
Reply #15 - 06/23/15 at 18:07:45

Dates count for me as I have to beg time off -- Friday September 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th are the Labor Day Triple play and I need to get my name into the hat soonest.

And I know Dave, he will leave Friday afternoon early if he can.   And if we could swing a cabin at SimpleLife, he'd just ride the bike (and he likely not bring his cafe since running over animals, hickory nuts and rain slick leaves are always in the fall mixture)

If you are indeed planning to go, please say so as I can try for those days off.   Our home football games start Sept 12 and Sept 17th, so I am shot if you go any deeper into the fall.

SimpleLife is north of Robbinsville and is  only 17 miles from Deal's Gap and is 3 miles from Robbinsville downtown.

And I do believe we are only like 1 mile off the Cherohala Skyway ....

So, who is coming?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/2096614?monyr=9/...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 06/24/15 at 04:13:15

The weather that time of year really isn't fall weather yet.  It is still warm, it tends to be drier than in June, and the leaves are still on the trees.

I arranged the trip last year to accomplish 3 things:
1)  The early trip was soggy and I wanted a dry weekend.
2)  The first Dragon trip of the year was at Waynesville, and I wanted to be "at" the Dragon Central and get to ride the Tail of the Dragon on the way to/from the other rides.
3)  The Deals Gap resort had the Wounded Warrior event which added even more activity than normal at Deals Gap.

This year the "official Wounded Warrior" group is not a participant in the weekend group ride....and so far the event seems to be less well organized as they really don't have much of a program for the weekend.  So not being at "Dragon Central" may not be a big deal....however I still do enjoy staying there and the high level of activity.  The bathroom and showers in the campground are kept very clean, and it does quiet down when evening comes and it is time to get some sleep.  Breakfast is not available......and the store and restaurant closes early in the evening.

If everyone wants to move the weekend away from the Deals Gap resort and to to the Simple Life.....I am not opposed to it.  I do have a very flexible work schedule and I will still reserve the ability to cancel my appearance if the weekend is a washout.....and go a different weekend when the weather is more favorable.  I would rather spend rainy days at work than riding around on a motorcycle!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 06/24/15 at 05:50:47

Robbinsville is as close to the Dragon as Waynesville is to the Blue Ridge Campground.

SimpleLife is on the Cherohala (give or take a mile or two).

If we can get a consensus on dates and get an idea of who is coming on the trip Simple Life has different sizes of cabins that when split are about same cost as Dragon camping.

Issue then becomes whether we are trying to hit an event of some sort, or just focusing on available weekends.  

Labor day weekend 4th - 7th is the longest available weekend and past that I get all tied down with home football games every 2nd or 3rd weekend.   For example, the following 12th and 17th are home ball game dates.

Labor day weekend gets all entangled with family events and the wife's plans for this and that -- I know this from hard experience.   If we really are planning on going then we should all be asking our wives what is planned for that weekend.

Graham County Events does not list a Wounded Warrior event this year, it does list a Fontana Lake-a-loosa event at Fontana and a Snowbird Lodge BBQ event at Robbinsville.    Hwy 143/28 runs between the two towns and it looks like 30/40 miles of Cherohala like stuff.

SimpleLife is new turf to us, but it shows some promise as being Dragon centralized and being near other good riding loops.   Right now it is pretty new as a campground, but is reported as getting more and better facilities year on year on year.   Compared to everywhere else, the cabins (when split at full capacity) are cheap as tenting elsewhere.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 06/24/15 at 06:36:17

http://thesimplelifecampground.com/

Simple life has put in more 3 and 4 man cabins that aren't on their web page yet (they have to occasionally pay a webmaster to re-do their page to show all the new cabins that are available).

Big Dawg is available, but we would need 4 people to make it as cheap as a Blue Ridge cabin (but we would only need 3 to make it cheaper than a Dragon room).

$20 a night will get you a smaller 3-4 man cabin with a bed, sheet and pillow/pillow case (you need to bring a blanket if you think you will need it).

Right now nothing is booked up and all facilities are available -- but we need to MOVE on a reservation if we are going to sleep inside as they will all get scheduled as soon as folks look out past the 4th of July holiday.

Who is going, and what do you want to sleep in?

(if we go Big Dawg, we have built in extra capacity for late comers, plus our own bathroom and shower, kitchen and private deck -- but you need 4 people to make it work $$$ wise but that gets you those 3 extra spare beds for latecomers)

Say something boys, we need to know you are going ......

« Last Edit: 06/25/15 at 07:01:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 06/24/15 at 07:21:32

Sept. 2-5 (Wednesday-Saturday)
Thanks OldFeller for hunting-this-place-up   Cool

I'd like to ride this one.  Any of the cabins is OK with me up to $20.oo night.  The bathroom does have a vent or window ?   If we have an overfill happen I'm good with a tent and cot.

The only fly in the ointment is if my wife chooses the same date for her summer outing.  I'll start scouting for an event she would like to attend some other week !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 06/24/15 at 07:30:35

MM, we are shooting for a weekend as Dave and I have to work during the week.   Labor Day weekend is Friday the 4th through Monday the 7th.

And yes, we all need to ask our wife what they have planned, since they do most of the family planning and we always forget what little bits and pieces we are told about in advance.

......  Needless to say, none of us are going to piss our wives off by making them feel like we are ignoring them.

« Last Edit: 06/24/15 at 17:08:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 06/24/15 at 21:25:04

Alright I've got a family trip in the works !  That won't be in
Sept.   Roll Eyes

So it looks like a go for me !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 06/25/15 at 06:17:02

I count 5 people right now (with two staying separately) .....  the rest of you I wanna come folks need to say something and be counted.  

We need one more person to make a reservation for a small cabin.   Rooster Pen or Fishing Hole looks likely as our low end bet for a 4 man cabin, but if we had a couple more we could go with the Big Dawg (and get a private shower and bath and full fridge and kitchen and private deck).

Friday September 4th is the potential early start date, 5th, 6th, and 7th as the main days.

Dave
Oldfeller
MM
Old_Rider and wife

« Last Edit: 06/28/15 at 17:18:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 06/25/15 at 07:20:32

Seeing as the wife and I had counted on coming, we would be in a different cabin or even a different camp/hotel site and meet up with ya'll in the mornings.
I see they have small ones also, i'll have to go to their site again to make sure. But we do have a tent made for the back of our truck, so we might even do that.
She liked the cheoah skyway area, and the other twisties we found out that way on our trip with the Harley roadglide.
She can't wait to try her hand at a few twists and turns. (I on the other hand will be a nervous nilly)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 06/25/15 at 07:57:22

They have like 4 cabins with larger bottom beds which could fill your bill.   Or, if you want to stay somewhere nicer, tell us where that is or where/when we will meet up for breakfast.

......   mmmmm    I hear the word Microtel echoing back through the etheric waves  .....

1.4 miles between the two places (not bad for a breakfast meet up routine)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 06/27/15 at 20:06:32

Looking at the videos and the stuff that was posted by various people, the Big Dawg is the only thing SimpleLife has that is really nice but the cost of the Dawg requires 4-6 people to float it dollar-wise.

We need some more folks to step up and say they are going pretty soon or else the Big Dawg will get booked by somebody else and we will be tenting again up at the Dragon or splitting a 4 man cabin at SimpleLife.

« Last Edit: 06/28/15 at 17:26:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 06/30/15 at 15:13:57

Old_Rider has posted on another thread that he and the Missus will be up on Labor Day weekend and if they can find us they will go ride with us some.   With the new job thing pending, he isn't able to say anything more than the Labor day weekend as details beyond that simply don't exist yet.

Our choices right now are to take a 4 man cabin (@ $20 a night for the three of us) or tent it.

My vacation time is verbally approved, so I am good to go for Friday.   If Dave is taking off on Friday afternoon, I will take the cabin/tent for Friday night so he has a bed to arrive into.

Choices left right now are Fishing Cabin (they only have 4 bunks in it now) and the Rooster Pen Cabin (4 bunks).   Rooster Pen has a private driveway we could park cars & trailers on while Fishing Cabin does not really have any dedicated parking space for multiple car/trailer rigs.

I am going to get a last confirmation from Dave on the day he is planning on arriving, then I will spit on the 3 day reservation.

SimpleLife requires that you take the cabin for 3 days on a holiday weekend, so we would take Fri, Sat, Sun, packing up Monday before leaving around noon on Monday.  

Their cancellation policy sucks as it is copied from the Dragon Lodge -- they keep one day irregardless and you have to cancel 30 days out and then they charge you a 20% cancellation fee on the remainder beyond the one day they already took.

We need to reserve a cabin before this upcoming weekend, or else we will be all booked up all over the place and we will be tenting by default.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 06/30/15 at 18:37:43

My arrival will definitely be Friday....or maybe even before.  Most likely I would leave Wednesday night after work, or Thursday night at the latest and arrive so I can get a full days riding in on Thursday and Friday if possible.  I can sleep just fine in my trailer - so I don't need a cabin or tent when I arrive earlier than everyone else.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 07/01/15 at 03:35:26

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/month/2096614?monyr=9/...

Don't worry about what you see, as you cannot cancel your cabin in any meaningfully timely manner as they will fleece you just as bad as the Dragon Lodge used to do.

I suspect these folks make as much money off inside the 30 days cancellations as they do actually renting, as they throw the cancelled room back out there to make more money off of yet more cancellations.   And in the end if the weather is decent at all, they rent it anyway at the last minute.

Wink

"OK Google, call SimpleLife campground Robbinsville NC"

Ring Ring Ring

Hey, whatcha got available for Sept 4th-6th?   Really, Big Dog is gone already?  Somebody has already hooked the Fishing Hut?

We are committed to the Rooster Pen for noon Friday Sept 4th through noon on Monday (Labor day)

« Last Edit: 07/01/15 at 06:26:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #29 - 07/01/15 at 13:47:33

Hey gang.  I am trying to make heads or tails of the schedule per previous posts but am not 100% clear.

Is it confirmed that this trip will be the weekend of 9/5 - 9/7 ish (Labor Day weekend) or are you still tossing around ideas?

I want to attend, but I'll get in trouble if I take our 3 day Labor Day weekend to run off and play with motorcycles. Don't change things on my account, just trying to see how things are panning out.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:44:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.