Send Topic Print
Cafe Racer Project (Read 1464 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cafe Racer Project
Reply #15 - 09/27/14 at 21:17:46

Actually, by cutting the shock moounts off the swingarm and drilling it, running a pipe thru & welding it in, Then do the plates to mount it,, naah,, theyll move,, gonna hafta weld them on ,, Id definitely do the hole, pipe, to keep the swingarms integrity, then once the shocks were all set up, weld the plates to the swingarm, Just leave the bolt,, a well shaped plate would look fine,That way the distance between mount points wouldnt change much at all,, eliminate the tedious bends,, Mite even lower the seat a hair,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #16 - 09/27/14 at 21:31:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/27/14 at 21:09:40:
No sir,, and Im not any kinda suspension engineer and Id be concerned about changing that angle that much. I have no idea how much more harsh the ride would be, but I suspect it would be. Im talking about reworking the lower mount so the bottom of the shock isant outside the swingarm but centered above it. Picture a BIG chain link,, 2 of them, like 2 washers welded together, a bolt thru the lower ones, securing them to the swingarm, and above, the shock. Then bend the now straight bar to allow for that height change, keeping the shock angle as is. Kinda a cantilever setup. It otta brace up easily & look okay, AND you wont be asking people

Do these shocks make my butt look fat?

I think youre on track for a nice lookin build. And I agree with the level swingarm look. I hope you can make it do that under load.

I know that a bend would mean cutting the bar, but slipping it into a piece of pipe between the frame members.. with a few holes drilled to allow some brazing, grind it, bondo, bingo,,
You got a torch, right? Bend it, toss it in some oil,, I have been known to tack things with solder, just to get them right where I want them,get a good mock up,  then weld or braze them in. No 90* bends,, I think it would look sharp.

I'm with you now. Wink I would have to re-lath the top mount but that wouldn't be a biggie, and would offer more strength being shorter. Ill look into it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 09/27/14 at 22:24:02

Yeah,shortening it decreases the leverage,,measure the distance between the lower  shock bottoms. Remount,measure,take that amount off one end of the top mount bar,,right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #18 - 09/27/14 at 22:36:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/27/14 at 22:24:02:
Yeah,shortening it decreases the leverage,,measure the distance between the lower  shock bottoms. Remount,measure,take that amount off one end of the top mount bar,,right?

Wink

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #19 - 09/27/14 at 22:45:06

I have just had a thought, I want to run a chain guard  so shifting the mounting point to the top of the swing arm might get in the way. Sad I will look into it though.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 09/27/14 at 22:47:35

I'll bet it'll work. The bottom of the rear sprocket is the pinch point..

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #21 - 09/29/14 at 13:56:28

My cheap back yard front wheel chock. Cheesy

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #22 - 09/29/14 at 20:10:20

Started playing with some cardboard to mock up the seat design.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 09/30/14 at 02:47:33

Before you get too far along...you should consider getting taller shocks that have more than the 1.5" of travel of the stock shocks.  The extra travel makes the ride so much nicer.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #24 - 09/30/14 at 12:10:00

Dave wrote on 09/30/14 at 02:47:33:
Before you get too far along...you should consider getting taller shocks that have more than the 1.5" of travel of the stock shocks.  The extra travel makes the ride so much nicer.

Dave

Dave I have been thinking along the same lines which is why I brought these second hand shocks. But didn't like the angle of the swing arm. I could re-position the top mount.

I brought these last year when I was building the Bobber project which are more comfortable than the stock, which I was going to use. Im only using the old stock shocks for the fabrication process.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 09/30/14 at 22:23:16

How you gonna build the seat after you get the cardboard like you want it?
I wish you could get a pic of one of those shocks held in place or maybe with the bottom in the mount..
Remember that post? If you're going to hafta move the top mount,hey... looks like a great time to make it narrower.
Do these shocks sticking out make my butt look fat?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #26 - 09/30/14 at 23:00:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/30/14 at 22:23:16:
How you gonna build the seat after you get the cardboard like you want it?
I wish you could get a pic of one of those shocks held in place or maybe with the bottom in the mount..
Remember that post? If you're going to hafta move the top mount,hey... looks like a great time to make it narrower.
Do these shocks sticking out make my butt look fat?

Justin I'm tracing around the cardboard onto plywood, use florist foam between the partitions. Shave the foam to make a mold then lay fiberglass over and crack the mold when hardened.
Similar to what this guy did but I will use florist foam not expanding foam. And I will remove the mold not leave it in like he did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsfSbL8cElk

Still working on the shocks Smiley

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #27 - 09/30/14 at 23:09:35

Or do something similar to what our friend at HackaweekTV did to the Honda Sabre Cafe Project.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3v9cVoEt4YqZpGyzewdlrQ

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 09/30/14 at 23:20:34

I wanna see the long shock kinda In Place..

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #29 - 09/30/14 at 23:41:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/30/14 at 23:20:34:
I wanna see the long shock kinda In Place..

If I mount the long shock with the existing mounting points when sitting on the seat I wont be able to touch the ground. I designed the seat higher so I could run a swing arm parallel with the ground.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 09:37:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Racer Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.