Send Topic Print
Turn Signals (Read 113 times)
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Turn Signals
02/27/15 at 16:19:30

Anyone here move their front turn signals to the handlebars like the newer Harleys? Seems to me that it would be a great way to get the lights up more in cage drivers' line of sight... thinking about doing it on my bike. What do you all think?

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Turn Signals
Reply #1 - 02/27/15 at 16:46:43

How many miles have you ridden it? How long till riding season starts?
What kinda experience do you have messing with stuff like that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 02/27/15 at 18:10:46

Turn signals are a fairly easy mod. If you are moving the signals to the handle bars, you'll want to remove the turn signal mounts that are just above the lower triple clamp. This will require that you remove the handle bars, the fork caps and the upper triple clamp so you can slide the mounts off the fork tubes. This is actually a lot more work then extending the wiring and clamping a few lights to the bars.

It's a good two beer job.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 02/27/15 at 18:26:59

Koehlerrk,

After I read your post I went to the HD website and looked at the pictures. I think the bar mounted signals on a lot of the Harleys look really nice. I suspect that Harley puts them there for style rather than safety, but if you like the look I say go for it.

I'm not sure it will make much difference  as far as visibility to car drivers though . In the stock location the blinkers on my S40 are already just as high or higher than the blinkers on a lot of cars.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/27/15 at 19:25:20

I hate to tell you but.... you're invisible and naked... don't forget it.

the only way to get those in the line of sight of any cage driver is to mount them to a mini gun.

if you think higher is a benefit, loosen the clamps and slide them up.
nothing stopping them unless you got a windshield mounted.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 02/28/15 at 00:30:15

the only way to get those in the line of sight of any cage driver is to mount them to a mini gun.

That'd be funny were it not so true.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 02/28/15 at 11:32:09

brighter headlamp, always on high beam  still ride like they're out to kill you

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 02/28/15 at 11:39:10

Funny, 'cause I'd like to move the bar mounted signals on my Sporty to the forks...
Too much goin' on on the bars, and the wiring is ugly... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/28/15 at 12:01:24

thumperclone wrote on 02/28/15 at 11:32:09:
brighter headlamp, always on high beam  still ride like they're out to kill you

And I kept mine on low, so I could toggle the Pass switch and get attention..
And move around in the lane, get attention..

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #9 - 02/28/15 at 17:35:13

justin - I'm in western NY, Finger Lakes region - riding season here starts mid-April on a good year, but usually May. As for messing with lights, not an issue, I've likely done more with electricity and electronics than most people. Today I swapped out the entire brain box on a hot tub... didn't think that was too bad.

Gary - thinking that with this mod I'll go to an LED headlight then add two more driving lights so the watts used stays the same. Was thinking about mounting the driving lights off the current turn signal brackets on the tree.

oldNslow - I do like the look, just curious if anyone else had done this. Yeah, cage drivers are blind on the best of days, I'm just trying to stack the deck as much to my favor as I can.

verslagen - Now the mini-gun option might get their attention.  Grin But yes, your advice is well founded, I was always told to ride like they're blind, deaf, and stupid. Nowdays, you can add in the "oooohhh, shiny" distractions of cellphones. Gah!

thumperclone - Yup, hence the new light fixture with better aiming, LED bulb upgrade with about 2x the light output, and driving lights. Have I mentioned that my helmet is a G-Max with the LED brake light on the back of the helmet? Being visible is a big, big, BIG concern of mine.

serowbot - That's the great thing about bikes, endless options to change it up and make it truly "yours".

The best thing is none of us live in the same spot, drive the same roads, but none of us hold it against each other for finding different solutions to the different problems we all face.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/01/15 at 04:02:23

With all that LED lighting....I doubt anyone will be able to see your turn signals.

I have noticed that on cars/trucks that have switched their non-LED headlight bulbs to LED.....if the turn signal is anywhere near the headlight housing I can't see the yellow bulbs blinking.  The LED's just scatter too much light and bleach the turn signal light away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 09:26:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn Signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.