The Chrome Wars (Read 9524 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: The Chrome Wars
Reply #255 - 04/05/15 at 13:25:48

Came across this while reading news.....
ARM processer allows for a ten year battery life?

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/04/05/this-processor-wants-to-offer-decade-...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #256 - 04/05/15 at 16:58:33

Yep, embedded internet of things chipset -- if placed in an article of clothing it could be powered by sewn in place solar panels.

IoT ARM gets tiny, more so than anything phone or tablet ever does.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #257 - 04/06/15 at 06:29:17

Aieeeee !!!   I am currently caught knee deep while crossing the Chrome and ARM piranha laden stream and I can't go forward because Intel Skylake isn't ready yet and now Intel Broadwell M has done a Lenovo Yoga  Pro poo dump all over its very own head -- taking all my current Braswell hopes with it, I am afraid.    I NEED faster chips to make my bloated slow Win10 seem to be quick and responsive -- I must have some faster chips, chips that will actually fit inside real laptop products and do not require gargantuan huge heat sinks on top of them to keep them from thermal throttling down to nothing and destroying my new OS's nimble quick performance.

And that yoga positioning you did was very badly done, Lenovo.  I do not think that is what the Kama Sutra meant at all by that particular convoluted positioning.   This really actually means to me that Intel has no faster cheaper better chipset relief for me this spring or early summer at all ..... nothing to make my slightly porky OS move quickly and smoothly.   So I am still stuck out here in midstream with these nasty quick little Google fishes nibbling at my ankles and toes with their sharp sharp little teeth.

< groan >    ...... maybe my new friend Qualcomm can help me .....

And I may have actually have done some of the same poo thing to myself, not being able to put my Win10 OS into a 32 gig Chromekiller flash drive without having to resort to funny magic rabbit-in-the-hat in and out of the cloud tricks.    

So so embarrassing, that growing stinky bulge in the back of my pants.

.... and I HURT SO VERY BADLY.     Aieeeee !!!   It hurts so badly being stuck here, while being abused by Apple and held back and ignored by my old friend Intel while being nibbled on by this multitude of little sharp toothed Google fishes.   Everyone is treating me most most cruelly.

I have already pooed myself once with Bing OS earlier and now I feel a rather large Win 10 bowel movement coming on and there is simply no more room to download a huge Win 10 upgrade into my streaming flash pants .....  

...... so I am still stuck here in the middle of this horrible horrible Chrome and ARM piranha laden stream and I cannot make it to the bushes and everyone is WATCHING me all the time now.    

So embarrassing ....  standing here in pain contemplating having to gulp back down constant streaming handfuls of my own OS because there is not enough room in my bulging overfilled flashpants.

And now this crowd of little Oriental persons wishes me to play water hockey with them and they are starting to hit me with their little laminated hockey sticks in some very embarrassing sensitive places --- like my poor poor shriveled $149 price points.

..... woe is me ....   come take this job back,  Ballmer,  you sorry lying dog.

< ouch >  wap !!   < ouch >  thud ...... < aieeeee !!!! >

hee hee --    Buck up there, little buddy !!   Keep that stock price up !!!
  Hey, somebody go get him a helmet and a crod piece, can't you see he's in pain ???

« Last Edit: 04/12/15 at 12:33:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #258 - 04/07/15 at 09:25:21

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/stanford-working-battery-can-fully-charge-minut...

Foldable batteries that are MUCH better, charge faster, hold more power and are WAY CHEAPER to build are on the way.

Stanford is throwing its hat into the ring with a new aluminum-ion battery that is safer and could potentially charge a smartphone from dead to full in about a minute.

The research team at Stanford put their prototype to the test and discovered that it had “unprecedented charging times” of as little as one minute.

This aluminum-ion battery is designed to be safer than traditional alkaline and lithium-ion batteries. “Our new battery won’t catch fire, even if you drill through it,” said Hongjie Dai, a chemistry professor at Stanford.

Apparently, it also has a charge cycle life that is more than seven times that of a lithium-ion battery. During testing, the research team at Stanford found that their aluminum battery could take 7,5000 cycles without loss of capacity, compared to 1,000 cycles of a lithium-ion battery.

Plus, due to the flexibility of the materials, Stanford’s battery can be bent, or even folded, so it has potential for use in rounded electronic devices.

This is a video, so click on it.

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/stanford-working-battery-can-fully-charge-minut...

People have been looking for a cheap long lasting battery to complement solar power (store daylight energy for nighttime uses) -- this may be it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #259 - 04/07/15 at 09:59:23

Yeah... they REALLY have to improve those batteries.... after a year of recharging this can happen....

I picked that video because it shows a drastic swelling, not all do that, the mass majority have addressed the issue.
I am one of those guys that like protection by using an "enclosed" battery, to reduce the chance (however unlikely) of explosion, which does happen.
I have noticed even my Microsoft/google mini android phone gets hot while using and sometimes while recharging.
Heat is going to be a major issue with the newer batteries because of the rapid input of energy. I say "faster is not always better", but it looks like they keep shooting for the fastest recharge times.
I realize they are touting "can't catch fire" and hope it won't, but.... they don't mention heat produced, and aluminum melts pretty darn easily.
Folding? Any electrician will tell you, folding puts a strain on the area being bent of any metal and could cause shorting, no matter how thin, why would aluminum be any different?
It will be great if they solve this battery thing, I personally can't wait until I don't have to charge my battery every day or twice a day sometimes. Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #260 - 04/08/15 at 07:53:24

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-M-5Y70-Review-and-Performa...

Oh poor Intel, the teardown review boys are EAGER to test your new 14nm chipsets just as soon as they can get their hands on them.   AND A REPEATED THEME of your new 14nm stuff IS COMING OUT CLEARLY ....   one that explains why you are going so so slowly in bringing them out at all.

"Though I am still working on the ability to accurately log the clock speed of the Core M 5Y70 through Windows Performance Monitor, my experience has shown that a clock speed of 2.5-2.6 GHz for the CPU will only last 10-20 seconds in a best case condition. After that, the processor will throttle down to a lower clock speed (I've seen 2.2 GHz and then 1.8 GHz) to limit power consumption and maintain stability in a system that is incredibly thermally constrained."

Why is there a quarter balanced on the chipset ??? -- he was testing the positive effects of better heat sinking since the NEW 14nm chipsets are so "incredibly thermally constrained".

https://youtu.be/xvjEHADlhrE      Go get a cup of coffee -- this is a long, boring video done by an Intel appologist while trying to CAREFULLY explain why a processor that is almost twice as small as its direct predicessor is actually 20% slower doing real things and gets POORER battery life than the previous unit.  

He struggles to explain why 14nm Broadwell is any improvement at all, since obviously last year's unit costs less money and KICKS THE NEW 14nm BROADWELL UNIT'S ASS for performance and battery life.

Intel has screwed the pooch again ....  and even their apologists are struggling to explain it.   And so far they can't blame it on bad drivers or execution by Lenovo -- remember the drivers used in the OS and in the systems bios come directly from Intel.   And so far there has been no patch or update to fix these drivers ......

Cheesy   Intel, you simply shouldn't let your PR Department make top end performance claims on your new 14nm stuff based on the grand total of 10-20 seconds of un-throttled full speed that you can get out of the puppy before it chokes itself down, then you turned around and gave out improved power consumption numbers based on that lowest throttled state.  You wrote yourself a serious "built to fail" scenario whenever you do stupid stuff like that.

That was a really really STUPID thing to do.

Undecided

Note in passing:   The new 14nm Samsung Exynos Octa does not seem to have 14nm overheating or throttling issues even under extreme stress testing and Samsung gives a confirmed 25% boost in performance rather than Intel's confirmed 20% DECLINE in performance and a 10-20 seconds of full speed performance before thermal throttling shuts it down (both when compared to each guy's same last year's product).   Furthermore, the Samsung 14nm gives the same battery life as last years unit (within +/- 20 minutes on all tests so far).

« Last Edit: 04/08/15 at 20:50:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #261 - 04/08/15 at 08:56:20

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/what-intels-new-atom-x5-x7-cherry-trail-chips-c...

What Intel’s new Atom x5, x7 “Cherry Trail” chips supposedly can do .....

Intel is doing actively misleading PR press conferences with power point slides again,
attempting to spin the current situation and sticking very carefully to the truth.

(the part of the truth they want to talk about anyway)

They are carefully saying NOTHING about CPU performance and overheating and "thermal throttling" or anything about actual CPU performance much at all.   Instead they are basing their entire new 14nm roll out on boasting about Cherry Trail's GPU's improved graphics capability.

This GPU boasting is just a bit cover for the CPU debacle that Intel is suffering through, and the people who do graphics analysis as their main thing are suggesting that Intel is being a little bit "extra shadier" on these GPU claims as well.

In the main, the GPU is better than before, although it is obviously showing it is tilted towards "testing better" than actually doing a real job of DOING better.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/first-look-new-features-cherry-trails-gpu/64068.html     lots of through testing and graphical information here, worth reading.

"Intel’s power saving efforts with Cherry Trail are broken down into three features: backlight reduction, refresh rate switching and panel self refresh.

Intel’s first power saving feature with Cherry Trail is arguably the simplest: backlight reduction. A backlight on a mobile device is arguably one of the more power-intensive parts of the system. For the most part reducing the intensity of the backlight will do enough to squeeze some extra battery time out of a system, but that comes at a cost — loss of image quality. Intel is promising that with its new image enhancement technology, backlight reduction will no longer result in such substantial drops in image quality.

Next up is dynamic refresh rate switching. Dynamic refresh rate switching has long been in the works, first appearing as a technical paper in 2007, making an appearance in a corporate white paper in 2010, and finally materializing in Cherry Trail. The process works by having the system switch automatically between high and low refresh rates depending on the content the system is displaying. Video playback, for instance, would get a high refresh rate yet idling displaying the desktop would result in a low refresh rate.  While this mode requires a panel that supports multiple refresh rate switching, the potential for power savings is there because of the increased efficiency.

One of the other interesting features that Intel is including with Cherry Trail is called graphics dynamic frequency and power sharing. This function gives a performance boost to graphics intensive applications in what Intel calls an “intelligent” fashion, that is when only the power and thermal headroom exist. At the same time, this sounds somewhat like the boost modes found in Samsung’s smartphones which triggered Antutu-gate.

Aside from power savings and enhanced API support, one of the other important features to note is the increase in shaders. This is one of the few new GPU features that may actually be noticed by the user, particularly in benchmarking. For Cherry Trail, Intel is providing four times the amount shaders from 4EU to 16EU. This means an even bigger portion of the die is dedicated to the GPU, which will no doubt give it a big performance boost compared to the competition."

So, Cherry Trail is actually a bit  "shadier"  than before -- you get it?         Wink

If Antutu testing gets revised again to debunk Samsung and Intel's current "graphics dynamic frequency and power sharing" tricks, will the new Intel stuff really be all that much better than the competition?   I sort of seriously doubt that, especially since the competition has improved a bunch lately and Intel was starting from so very far behind the pack at the beginning of this year.

For example, the newest Samsung Exynos is the real deal, as is the Tegra X1.   Not much false fluff there as it has already been kicked around by the Appleonians and the various test guys and stress tested and tortured, etc. etc.

The 2015 Antutu tablet rankings will tell the tale, because all the Intel chipsets (including the Core i3. i5 and i7) and all the ARM chipsets are ranked multiple times inside the Top 50 Antutu Tablet Rankings.    

And there is an averaged Top 20 that averages all the various tablet entries by chipset to give one averaged Antutu ranking per chipset .....

Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/10/15 at 12:50:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #262 - 04/08/15 at 20:36:32

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/intels-low-power-braswell-chips-are-now-shippin...

Intel’s low-power 14nm Braswell chips are now shipping

Grin     Wowsers, Batman --- look at the really really BIG HUGE SIZE of the heat sink that Intel has installed on top of their brand new teeny tiny super efficient 14nm chipsets.  

You know, the ones that weren't supposed to need any heat sink at all,  but in reality turned out to be so thermally sensitive that without the humongous great big heat sink the chipset would shut itself down into thermal survival mode and throttle itself way way back within 10-20 seconds of use?

Roll Eyes

Yeah, those 14nm chipsets .....    

Well, at least there isn't a big fan on top of the huge fins  (but I bet they put an air channel over to the case fan to direct that very large volume air flow past those humongous fins, yep, I betcha.      Wink

"The new processors also generally use a little less power than their Bay Trail counterparts… but don’t expect that to translate into huge battery life improvements. The difference between a 6 watt and a 7.5 watt processor isn’t really enough to matter very much. Dimming the screen on your laptop a little bit will probably have a bigger impact on battery life than moving from a Bay Trail-M to a Braswell chip."

Huh   .... duh, are those huge heat sink fins gonna fit inside your laptop case?    Sure as shoot'n won't fit inside any laptop case I own .....  heck, they won't even fit inside the green cardboard shipping boxes that are show behind them.

A redesign of the NUC case is forthcoming, with a mountain of fins coming out of the top of it .....

==============================

In contrast, take a look at the "huge heat sink" that had to be installed on the Samsung 14nm Exynos chipset that has the 25% BETTER PERFORMANCE than the previous chipset and has a butt kicking video GPU system that is running Apple i6 all ragged at the moment -- it doesn't overheat and it doesn't throttle, unlike somebody's elses little twisted sister chipsets we could mention.

OK, you got me -- it is just a round paper sticker

« Last Edit: 04/09/15 at 09:42:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #263 - 04/09/15 at 08:14:04

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/report-intel-iris-graphics-coming-to-15-watt-sk...

Now that Intel has "shared" AMD's graphics IP (part of the current legal settlement over the AMD/INTEL entangled CISC CPU IP license)
suddenly Intel's graphics have gotten a whole lot better.

Also note from this new blast of PR that Intel wants you to quit looking at their CPUs and pay attention to something else --- thermal throttlegate is really really pissing Intel's stock holders off in a major way and Fudzilla really wants to talk about something that is working out for them, which is the AMD graphics IP they just got their hands on.

Also, expect Intel to really really try to bring on Skylake very very quickly, since the current mess isn't very fragrant right now.

Also expect Intel to try to redesign their new Skylake chips to not be so thermally sensitive as they get smaller and smaller.

And also expect Intel to abort rolling out this very thermally sensitive Broadwell new stuff just as soon as they can plunk down a Skylake anything in each of their major categories.

Skylake by 4th quarter this year, that's the goal now.     Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #264 - 04/09/15 at 08:27:18

Intel is getting quicker to cover up their cat skats, but slower and slower at doing their BENEFICIAL generational changes.

By the time panic stricken Intel can get some Skylake scratched over their latest rather large Broadwell/Braswell thermally sensitive poo pile, it will be 2016 and Intel will be faced with 10nm rolling out from Samsung and Apple.

Intel should simply drop the Broadwell/Braswell roll out, bring Skylake out NOW and roll strong at their own 10nm generational shift.

Intel is too much in love with and tied up in multiple long range grandiose plans, plans that take way way too long and are actually an impediment to Intel's continued existence as they struggle to finish all the branches of each plan, whether it is a good plan or not.

Intel doesn't seem realize that they can't support but a few new items at the TREMENDOUSLY FAST RATE they need to bring those new items forward.

The rest of the world brings forth a new generation EVERY YEAR, there is no tock to what they do.

Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick  .....    get used to it, Intel.

If you can't do it, you will get further and further behind.

In the three-four years it took Intel to bring on 14nm the ARM boys went from 48nm to 32nm to 28nm to 20nm to 16nm to 14nm and they arrived there bulk shipping finished 14nm ARM based products two months before Intel did.  

And that was 14nm ARM stuff that gave a 25% performance boost, not a -20% performance hit and POORER battery life like Intel Broadwell M stuff did.

Intel, you are a tortoise at the "make real progress" drag races compared to ARM.

Mediatek is now licensing AMD's graphics tech directly from AMD and with AMD's full tech support they will FLY past you immediately on the graphics side and their new ARM A72 cpu cores won't choke down with thermal throttling like yours do ....

Intel, you have multiple multiple quick agile competitors who do not rest and do not snooze .... and they are breaking into laptops starting this year.

Roll Eyes    Mediatek and Qualcomm are going to be racing each other to see who can tear the biggest slice out of your "Wintel home turf" market share.  
Apple is going to be there too, ripping off whole slices of Wintel deep dish and MS stuffed crust and wolfing it on down.

And what's funny is they will all do it at low cost 28nm and 20nm (and then at 16nm and 14nm) lithography using ARM RISC chipsets that will simply perform better every time a new one comes out.

« Last Edit: 04/11/15 at 20:19:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #265 - 04/09/15 at 19:39:53

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/intel-pushes-atom-braswell-and-core-m-chips-for...

http://anandtech.com/show/9117/analyzing-intel-core-m-performance/

So now you need to have a "selection tool" to use to pick which currently shipping Intel processor type that will perhaps work best in your given situation without getting into excess thermal throttling or other evils ???

Inside the next 3 months Intel will have 5-6 overlapping levels of Atom/Cherry Trail 5 & 6 & 7 and Celeron and Braswell and Broadwell M and U and Y and the old Core i3 and Core i5 laptop chipsets too.   And Skylake too,  let's not forget about that.

This is really really stupid, Intel is wasting their efforts (and ours) by doing this gross repeated (and repeated, and repeated again) functional overlap nonsense.

For example, no one knows what to do with a 14nm Broadwell M right now -- it costs more than the old Core i5 but it is slower and Broadwell M eats on its "smaller spec'd" battery worse than the older 22nm Core i5 chip did on its standard sized battery.   For any solution you think Broadwell M fits, something else cheaper fits there too (and performs better also).  

Functionally, Broadwell M isn't better than, well, anything.   It just costs a lot more.   And once you put in the battery that Broadwell M really requires, you might as well have used the Core i5 from last year as well --- and by doing so ditch all the thermal throttling issues as well.

Get rid of it !!!   Intel, you are building entire LAYERS of stuff nobody asked for and nobody wants.   You need to stop this foolishness ASAP and thin down this huge list of repetitive overlapping chipsets.

The new cheapie Atom grade has several levels within it, some of which are rated slower but will actually move work quicker and are more battery efficient than the "post throttling" Broadwell M.   Go figure.

Builders are confused right now, because they realize a cheaper product using a cheaper Intel chip might just clean their clock performance-wise in the real world low to midrange marketplace because the new state of the art 14nm Intel whazzit they just bought didn't really do what it was originally pitched to do.  

(check them spec pages again, they have been CHANGED quite a bit in the last few weeks -- thermal throttling is referred to now as "turbo mode" before it throttles that very first time and "standard mode" after the first 10-20 seconds have passed and the thermal throttling effect has kicked in -- and now the overall steady-state chip CPU performance is now very strongly LESS than what any previous units had).  

We have never seen a 2-3x multiplier TURBO MODE chipset that can only turbo mode just once for 10-20 seconds when you first cut it on before .....

Wink    my   my   my  .....  really Intel, you need to go fire that PR Department, they are embarrassing you all over again.

.... WARNING:  your new 14nm ditty might choke itself off early due to severe thermal throttling and just stay stuck down there ---  BUT HEY, you may have ALREADY made your critical chip build choice in pretty much complete ignorance and also in COMPLETE ERROR and so now you have to go live with those badly informed choices since you already built all the first lot of units, right Lenovo ?

Tongue

Adding to the confusion level is that Microsoft is now all buddy buddy with Qualcomm -- and some of Qualcomms current phone chips are really quite powerful and "totally feature complete" and Qualcomm does not require a big list of "extra" motherboard components like an Intel chipset does.

This is a big consideration on the lower end since Intel isn't paying for all that extra motherboard stuff nearly as much as they used to, so a lower net cost Qualcomm based solution must be considered as well.

And worse, here comes Mediatek and Rockchip, swinging various "feature complete" 28nm and 20nm (and soon 16nm and 14nm) ARM chipsets that will outperform some of the many overlapping lower end Intel players in certain uses.

This year will be a year with some PRODUCER'S RISK having to be taken by middle and low end laptop builders -- and some of the Intel only builders are acting sorta skittery about all that producer risk stuff right now because they suddenly have all sorts of ability to screw themselves up really really big time just like Lenovo just did.

People are questioning just what the heck Intel thinks it is doing ......   and the motherboard teardown review guys are doing quite a lot of traffic lately,  debunking and finding out what's really what with the newest Intel stuff as it is just hitting the street.  

Since Intel isn't telling the bald, simply stated truth about their new products up front for very much any more, somebody has to go find out about them after the fact .....

Potential retail customers are being confused greatly as well -- nobody knows what to buy and which ones are the stone cold turkeys for their particular intended use.   Give you a hint, if Intel is supplying it to Apple, don't use it -- when all the good ones were all sorted out of the first lots and shipped to Apple then that leaves you with a bunch of .....  what?   Leftovers?

(and nobody wants to be the one to go go first either as there be jaggedy edged bear traps out there in that there 14nm tall grass -- ask 'ol Lenovo 'bout that)

When they see stuff like this sort of grotesque Lenovo screw up stuff, a end user customer's wallet just tends to snap shut instantly and they go into "wait and see mode" until it all shakes out good.    

"Maybe the fog will lift in a year when Skylake comes out ....." sez the customer base.

« Last Edit: 04/13/15 at 06:33:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #266 - 04/10/15 at 12:27:28

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/pc-shipments-dropped-last-quarter-but-there-wer...

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3026217

Gartner Says Worldwide PC Shipments Declined 5.2 Percent in First Quarter of 2015

This is an entire YEAR'S worth of decline in just the first quarter of 2015.  There is a reason for this drastic sharp decline in PC laptops and PC desktop sales numbers.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2687742/mac-and-chromebook-sales-erode-w...

Chromebooks continue their ongoing "year on year doubling" trend line (but now the doubling size is big enough to be felt by MS) and APPLE has now decided to try to take a chunk of market share from MS since it is available for the taking.    Apple is doing this by cutting price by a hundred or more dollars on their current popular models.

Last reason is that the synthetic sales pump up job MS did by cancelling support for XP has faded away now and MS still hasn't come out with Win10 after being nearly 3 years past original promise dates to deliver the new "faster better more customer friendly unified OS".

Microsoft is still fumbling around trying to get Win 10 ready to go, but is hitting chipset difficulties as they were counting on Intel to have some new FASTER STRONGER chipsets out of their new 14nm process to make the aging Windows OS seem "faster and lighter".

This "faster stronger Intel" did not materialize as of April, 2015 -- 14nm Intel chipsets released so far have performance and/or thermal throttling issues that make Win10 look and feel just as fat, slow and obese as it really really is when fairly compared to Mac OS or Linux or Chrome.    

Mac OS or Linux or Chrome STILL DO look fast and light (because they really ARE fast and light) but not MS Windows, because it is still slow, obese and sorta chunky.

Skylake is the next real chance MS has at Intel processors strong and FAST enough to perhaps pull their Win10 bacon out of the fire -- but that is still six months to a year away from now at this point in time ......

=======================================

So, MS needs to come up with a good new reason for stalling for yet another year, which would make them 3 full YEARS late on rolling their "Win 9" OS out as originally promised.

There is another danger in stalling another year -- all the local loaded softwares that were the only real reason to put up with MS Windows are busy making HTML 5 net-based variants of themselves which will start to land "en-masse" this year.  

Some have already arrived on-line, AutoCad and Photoshop to name two of the larger more important "critical locally loaded softwares" that are now available net-based.    Business is just beginning to realize this fact and are starting to look at their VERY expensive IT intranets as something that can be cost reduced as part of a good Six Sigma Chromebook project.

Soon enough there will BE NO COMPELLING REASON to put up with MS Windows any more ....

Wink

« Last Edit: 04/12/15 at 19:54:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #267 - 04/12/15 at 20:46:30

End of life for very first Chromebooks is approaching, some very few original Chromebooks will roll off 5 year active Google support sometimes this year.

Question becomes, will the end users even notice?

Some users are setting up Crouton so they can bounce over to a Linux, but most are just doing nothing -- taking a very relaxed wait and see attitude.

So far no one feels that their laptop has really gotten old and decrepit yet.  

All posting seem to think their device is just fine.  ChromeOS is so light and quick the now "ancient" hardware is fairly far over the hill now but still fully able to do the job in a fast light manner just as it always has -- you see the Chromebook doesn't get slower over time like Windows always does.
Yep, 5 years of no hassles has made for some pretty complacent Chromebook users though.

Crouton has gotten much better, as you can run a Linux something inside a resizable Chrome window at the same time you are running something else in the main ChromeOS windows.

Google is talking "in general" about doing the same thing with all of Android soon, so in theory your old out of date Chromebook might be able to use all of modern Android and Crubuntu in ChromeOS's resizable window system.

I think it will be very hard for ChromeOS on a Chromebook to actually die by Google neglect, since you could always roll over to the Open Source Chromium OS project and just run Google + to get all your favorite Google bits and pieces.

After 5 years on a Chromebook, you either use nothing and do nothing apart from the web (and therefore have no issues with a non-updated Chromebook in the first place) or by now you have explored and played with Crouton a bit and have a favorite flavor of Linux selected already.   Android on Chromebooks is a ditto, by now you played with it some just because they were just sitting there in the Chrome Store to be loaded for free.

Rest easy, open source will always have a way to go already mapped out for you with a how to guide already written for it.

For example, Crubuntu is a user-maintained no-brainer canned Ubuntu based distro built just for you -- already sitting there ready for you to go load it.

And most Chromebooks have a SD slot that hasn't ever been used yet, so you do have tons of bootable local storage should you ever decide to go use it with a side loaded Linux variant while booting into ChromeOS developer mode (just to get the machine started, then you run from the SD card).

And frankly, Google may opt to increase the service life anyway, since all it costs them is a very small amount of server farm time which they increase yearly anyway to take care of all their other on-line business functions.

Google is in the middle of an international roll out of Chromebooks, taking over the rest of Education and getting their first real significant toe holds into Business.   Do you think they will really let a potential flap over "end of life" screw all that up, or will they just opt for another couple of years of service life?

People also point out that until MS declares what the real cost and terms of Win10 is really going to be Google cannot afford to chop anybody off for any reason -- that would just give MS a free easy shot at their neck since MS could then "declare something better" at no real cost to MS just to get the PR boost.  

(especially since MS can change their mind later on and charge you for the updates anyway .... check out that ULA you haven't seen yet, it is very flexible)

If MS goes with a yearly fee after X years, then Google could do the same, with more years of free time and a lot smaller $$ for a post-free maintenance fee.

Or, Google could just do it for free like they are doing now for Android.   In Android, you just stop getting regular updates and the device just keeps on running at the last update level ..... forever.    On the rare occasions when Google thinks they really need to send you something to fix something, they do it anyway.

Which is what will happen in ChromeOS by default right now anyway.

« Last Edit: 04/13/15 at 07:46:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #268 - 04/13/15 at 08:14:55

https://www.edsurge.com/n/2015-03-31-google-to-kids-try-to-break-this-chromebook

"What could possibly be more dangerous to a mobile device than a tiger?
Try elementary school students.

As part of Google’s plan to expand Chrome products across consumer and enterprise industries, the company announced today it will soon sell a Chromebook designed specifically for education. The Haier Chromebook 11e “is built to be abused,” declares Rajen Sheth, Director of Product Management for Android and Chrome for Business and Education.

When “kids shove [a device] in their backpack, then books start slamming against it and break the screen,” Sheth says. The 11-inch device boasts 10 hours of battery life, a removable battery and—hold your breath—a spill-resistant keyboard so that any splashes of liquid will drain out of a hole on the bottom of the Chromebook."

OK, other vendors charge a hundred extra dollars for these types of features, but the Haier-11e gets them for LESS THAN $149 when bought in bulk purchases from Amazon.com or from your state authorized Educational Wholesalers.

You also have to realize if the unit is abuse resistant and the keyboard is self cleaning & draining and the battery can be externally replaced, then you got a MUCH MORE DURABLE OVER TIME consumer, education and business based unit.  

We adults use briefcases and coffee as our attack methods of choice instead of bookbags, juice or milk, but the general idea is the same.

So, tell me, haven't you had a keyboard based   "Aw shite .... "   spill event happen to you before as an adult?        Tongue  yep, a couple of coffee spills over the years .... but I tended to kill the structurally weak hinge area of my company issued Thinkpads banging down my brief case on concrete .....

This is a VERY appealing unit to moms and dads everywhere, as kids are tough on electronics and tear up normal stuff entirely too too fast.

« Last Edit: 04/14/15 at 08:04:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #269 - 04/14/15 at 07:58:13

Google is being thoughtful about what they dollar support to create change.   I don't think Google tries to run anybody out of business, but instead strongly encourage the hidebound existing players to change how they think.

Certainly Google has had this effect on MS and the laptop industry.   Now Google wants everybody to intentionally feature customize the stuff for kids (in actuality going after ease of battery maintenance and impact damage control both at the same time).   This is how you do it, sez Google.

Google's cell phone service is the same way -- they are not going to directly compete with their fi service (limited to Nexus 8 phones only at intro) but are going to partner with T-Mobile and Sprint to show them a way to compete using long range Wifi that obliviates the BIG BOYS huge tower count advantage.

Same offer was made to the BIG BOYS btw, but they chose not to play.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/13/rumor-googles-carrier-project-detaile...

I think Google has a plan that includes every new router's internal standards being built going forward, that allows a router to protect your signal but also allow you to permit/allocate a small amount of capacity to support this fi system as a public service.   Since calls are tiny data users, your modern long reaching router has the capacity to spare a tiny bit for a passerby to continue his phone call.

Since the life span of a router is generally measured in single digit years say within 5 years you could be driving along in a sea of little fi zones that would allow a special phone free access for calling and very limited other data functions.    Get close to a LOON station and you could pick up full data as well.

Politicians could then maybe see the European model of free Wifi coverage as part of public utilities like street lighting is seen now.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Smiley     I think fi is aimed at Europe more than us as they already have a lot of the infrastructure to do it well right off the bat.   Inside a large US city fi would work great, as you could actually always be within range of a couple of cooperating routers.

« Last Edit: 04/14/15 at 09:59:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:07:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › The Chrome Wars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.