Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version (Read 1724 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
Reply #60 - 04/04/14 at 23:52:37

That's exactly what happened, they treated mr like a virus  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #61 - 04/04/14 at 23:58:55

Take 2 zinc supplements and call us in the morning...

Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 04/05/14 at 02:15:25

About your thumb drives, small ones/older ones are generally formatted as FAT32 which is a universal basic hard drive format that really does go all the way back to DOS -- or if they were an advanced large capacity thumb drive they might be formatted as NTFS format which is the current Windows format.  

Key thing is that thumb drives are always an attractive snack bit for a Windows virus.

Leaving stuff on your Mint desktop, that's a folder on a hard drive that is formatted in Ext4, the current Linux standard high efficiency high security format.   To get to your data on your desktop folder, a virus has to deal with a hardened Linux operating system and a drive format it generally wasn't even created to be able to read, much less to go screw up.

So, if you are going for maximum data security, only put stuff on your thumb drive when you need to archive copy it, the rest of the time your data is safer on your Linux desktop stuck inside your personal data folder.  

Don't leave thumb drives plugged in all the time, they are at an ongoing risk of a Windows virus or worm or etc. etc. while they are just hanging out of the front of the machine.   Really, it is about as safe as a strip of bacon sticking out of the wire mesh of a dog pen.  

Very attractive.   Gets eaten pretty quick.

Remember, Mint can read/write any hard drive format, and it generally matches the write format to what it finds on the write to device.    You can reach inside your Windows NTFS format with Mint and read files, then write them to your Linux hard drive desktop -- the format of the data is changed during this copy/paste.  

Read NTFS, write Ext4.  And vice versa if the data is going the other way.

Now, when this doesn't happen flawlessly, it causes you a heart ache -- so keep your data on a folder on your desktop as its normal resting place, and only copy it over to your flash drive one way (periodically back it up).   Only write it once (when recovering from a disaster).  Keep the thumb drive safe in a drawer -- not plugged into something all the time. 

Smiley

So, what did we learn?  Bouncing data files back and forth between hard drive formats isn't recommended as a repeated repeated repeated activity because "shite can always happen" if you give it enough chances to happen.  

One of the drives involved being a little sour can do it to you, if you bounce stuff between drives and formats all the time.

Wink   ..... that thumb drive has a limited read/write life-span too, did you know that?  Flash drive "trim errors" do accumulate, cutting down on the drive's capacity.

« Last Edit: 04/05/14 at 12:19:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #63 - 04/05/14 at 20:15:03

So does that mean I'll be able to copy ebooks / spreadsheets to Linnux?
that'd be cool, eventualy I could chuck windows entirely

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #64 - 04/05/14 at 20:53:19

If it's the same machine, you can just leave them where they are and access them with Linux.  It will read your Win partitions, no problem. You can open excel spreadsheets with Libre Office Calc.  I am sure there is an ebook solution as well.  I haven't really researched it. Though, I might have to soon as I'll probably switch soon and have many ebooks.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 04/06/14 at 05:22:44

Steve H is right, you can read them right where they sit.   What's funny, is you can still do that even when your XP drive C: dies, won't even find itself and cannot boot any more.  Linux has no problem seeing or reading the stuff on the C: drive that Windows says that drive is DEAD and has all sorts of boot sector damage and is completely useless.

The only advantage to moving the stuff over to the Linux drive is that once it becomes "hidden" behind the walls of Linux (and changed over to Ext4 format) very little of worms and viruses can get to it any more.

Keeping an external back up is good, for hard drive death issues that are real and unrecoverable.  Hard drives really do go bad eventually.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 04/06/14 at 05:51:09

Ebook readers are as varied as the current crop of Windows readers is quite diverse.   What reader do you use now (what format are the ebooks in?)

Start from there and ask for a reader for that XYZ format in Ubuntu.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #67 - 04/06/14 at 06:12:42

I've been using a Ebook reader called Calibre.  I can't remember for sure but it might be in the Software Manager
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #68 - 04/06/14 at 10:34:54

Went to Linux site and downloaded cinnamon to a 32 gig thumb... got a mirror site from Oklahoma university....
forgot how I did it first time but it loaded the 32 bit to the thumb, well the "image" thing....
thought kewl i'll just stick it in the little laptop and see what comes up.... booted it up, nothing blank screen, and now it won't even boot up at all,
so I thought ok maybe wrong site.
went to Linux.com/download tried to use the big green buttons to download mint 16, and it started loading apps on my computer.... "check your speed", "optimize your drive", "view password" holy crap!  took me a bit to find most of them in remove area... guess I got the wrong Linux site????
now my internet on the big laptop sux...gonna have to find what is running in the backround....
windows 8 sux at finding stuff

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #69 - 04/06/14 at 10:46:01

I use Adobe rreader of course, x I think

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #70 - 04/06/14 at 10:58:06

LOL! never trust yahoo search.... the first four things that popped up where advertisement searches... I just clicked on the first "Linux.com" I seen, it was convincing enough to make me click on the "download mint 16 now" button... wow...

Went back again and got the "REAL" Linux site, downloading the iso again... so how do I open the iso on a non functioning computer?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #71 - 04/06/14 at 11:17:58

Does your non-functional laptop have the bios set to boot from a usb drive?  Did you put the ISO on to the drive using Ubooting (or whatever that bootable USB thingie is called)?   ISO has to be burned to bootable media such as prepared USBs or DVDs.

If not, does the non-functional laptop have a functional DVD reader?  

What you were hit with was a phishing attack -- always make sure you go to the real site and follow real links to download anything or else you may get a munched computer real quick like.

There is such a thing as Linux.com for real, but it isn't where you download Linux Mint.

Both my wife and myself have gotten phished by being in a hurry and just clicking on stuff without reading in the browser bar to see exactly where we were being sent.

PS -- Cinnamon is not the recommended flavor, Mate is.

Here is the link to go to the right place.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You need to decide if you are 32 bit or 64 bit machine, and you need to pick a mirror with a good download rate (I pick Canadian mirrors as the equipment is modern and the mirrors tend to be relatively unstressed traffic-wise compared to American mirrors).

Decide what bootable media you are going to use -- I recommend DVDs if you have equipment that can read them as you will have the DVD laying around later on if you should need it later on.

« Last Edit: 04/06/14 at 13:40:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #72 - 04/06/14 at 11:39:43

Can't even get to the bios.... tried "delete key" "esc" "F8" "F10" you name it... it shows the asus and intel on screen bootup the I just get the dos blinking hash at the top left... it moves down two rows still blinking then just quits.

I'm attempting to burn the iso to a disc...first attempt just copied the iso... working on a second attempt.

Finally got into the bios.... esc key pressing wildly soon as I pressed power key.... trying the recovery discs.... see what is up

Will copied iso file (could have sworn it said "burn data disc") work?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #73 - 04/06/14 at 12:51:09

When in bios on little laptop.... 00: sata hdd detected.... ooops... hard drive dumped.

burned the mint 16 iso to a dvd (twice data disc) popped it in selected boot to cd/dvd hoping I could just use the dvd as a os... no such luck

unless you know a way to burn an iso for boot up? thought I did that on the little laptop, but apparently not...must need the hard drive for something first.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 04/06/14 at 13:23:20

First, tell us which little laptop you are talking about.  Be specific.  

What sort of optical drive does it have, CD or DVD?

How do you get to the bios when you power up the machine?  

Your bios needs to be set to recognize the USB drives as bootable drives, and be aware that USB 1.0 didn't always have this available because it wasn't invented way back then.

Lastly, if the BIOS supporting little flat battery is dead, so is the laptop until you get it replaced.

If all you have is a CD read only drive, then you need to go look at Peppermint since it comes on a CD.   Everything else that is more modern/bigger is too big for your CD optical drive to read (comes on DVD).

=====================

How to burn an ISO image

First, you tell us what sort of image burning software you have available on Windows.   It has to be able to burn what your "little laptop" can read.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 07:16:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.