Send Topic Print
Knocking LS650 (Read 782 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Knocking LS650
Reply #45 - 09/10/15 at 13:30:10

Id leave the plug out and let the starter spin it over a few seconds, cool starter, spin over again,, let the pump get oil up in it before the loads of running hit it. Might wanna keep an eye on the battery,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #46 - 09/10/15 at 16:03:30

oh man, good call. Thats a great idea... I will be sure to turn it without the plug a few times over before trying to start. thanks.

Got it all back together. Will be putting it back in the bike tomorrow. Will give ya'll up date and maybe try to vid it. This has been a crazy on going saga for me and this bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #47 - 09/10/15 at 17:30:08

I'm glad to offer something useful.. so many of these guys are so smart and so well versed I just stick stars on the scoreboard and keep reading.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #48 - 04/08/18 at 14:59:04

I know... Major resurrection of an old post... But, I still have the LS650 and a few years back bought a used engine. Finally got around to putting it back together. So... I have it all together and gave it a battery and cranked it. I did turn it without the spark plug hooked up a bunch of times to get the new oil to run through it first. It turns with no funny noises but will not start. However, I did get it to turn over and run for just a second with starting fluid.  A little back story here. I did rebuild the carbs almost a year ago. I put it on the bike and it has sat that way for several months. Thought I would give it a shot today and here is where I am now. Good news, I think, is that I have isolated my problem to the fuel. Because it did start with starting fluid sprayed in the carb, should I pull the carbs and re-clean them up? Could I have another issue besides a fuel problem since it turned over on a spray of starting fluid? Sorry for brining it up in the same post but thought it would be fun since it is the same million year project.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #49 - 04/08/18 at 17:10:39

How old is the gas?

Did you put the Petcock on
Prime?

If the carburetor was clean and empty, no gas evaporated to scuz up its guts.

A hot battery is crucial.

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #50 - 04/08/18 at 17:48:49

I emptied the gas tank when i knew i was going to replace the engine, so gas is brand new. Yes, no gas was run through the carb since rebuild. Battery is low and not cranking very well. So, I charged it a bit and tried again. It is still not all the way charged but when I tried after a little charge the engine turns and will slightly sputter every second or third crank. Seems to want to start but won't. So, I think the hot battery may be my issue? I will let it get a good charge over night and try again tomorow. Oh, petcock was on run. So, I will need to have that on prime. As a side not it does the sputtering when I have the choke on. Thanks man. Will the battery make a big difference?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #51 - 04/08/18 at 19:48:37

Will the battery make a big difference?

Yep.
The ignition system requires a hot battery or it won't make a spark.
Don't run the starter more than a few seconds at a time.
Too much work heats magnets,, cracks them.
Let the Petcock prime the carburetor
I like bumping something off on ether.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 14:11:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.