YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Knocking LS650
Reply #30 - 07/15/15 at 12:05:34

'95 is still a 5 spd, but not sure if it had the starter torque limiter or not.
What are the engine numbers?
A '95 might have the same rotor so you wouldn't need to swap them.
HBTim wrote on 07/15/15 at 11:39:59:
Oh dang... I'm not home but rotors look different... and YES Dave... NEEWB here, I meant rotor... lol Anyway, engine came of a 95 I believe and mine is a 98. I think. I will find out when I get home and get back to ya'll. The question would then be... easier to swap top end? It would not appear to though. urg!!  Sad

WWW   IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #31 - 07/15/15 at 14:19:31

engine motor number is : P401112153

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 07/15/15 at 14:53:58

HBTim wrote on 07/15/15 at 14:19:31:
engine motor number is : P401112153

That's probably an '86
I thought those cut outs in the fin supports looked odd.   Cool
Yup you'll want to swap the rotor if you use that engine.
Swapping the heads would be ok if the bottom end is still good.

There's a lot we don't know about '86's which is the 1st year of production, we haven't seen a whole lot of them.

I'd check every part number between the 2 years you plan on swapping for revisions.

The format is xxxxx-24B00 and a revision to that will be xxxxx-24B01

24B means it's designed for our bike

WWW   IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #33 - 07/15/15 at 15:23:27

geez... Ok, with what I got, would I be better off swapping the rotor and making sure the parts match up? I'm going to re look at the engine motor number, but I think your right about it being an 86 or similar year. darn. do I have an issue here?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 07/15/15 at 15:32:27

HBTim wrote on 07/15/15 at 15:23:27:
geez... Ok, with what I got, would I be better off swapping the rotor and making sure the parts match up? I'm going to re look at the engine motor number, but I think your right about it being an 86 or similar year. darn. do I have an issue here?

I don't think so.

WWW   IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #35 - 07/15/15 at 18:25:03

Ok, Rotor puller on its way... next stop, Swap. I'm sure I will be asking some questions... Thanks Vers and Dave. I will post some pics on the progress and let Ya'll know what's up as I go.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 07/15/15 at 19:03:55

Don't ditch the old motor. Keep everything till you get twenty thousand miles on it. The bottom end of this engine might not be great. No idea how long it's been since the bearings got spun or rings oiled. Crap builds up down where the plug is, blow out before pulling the plug, oil inside the cylinder, turn it over manually, slowly, feel of it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 07/16/15 at 06:30:11

When a motor is torn apart for an overhaul and put back together...the mechanic will oil the moving engine parts so they are lubricated when the engine first starts......as it takes a few seconds for the oil pump to get the oil pumping through the new oil filter and circulation system, crank, bearings, up to the cam and rockers, and for the crankshaft to start throwing oil onto the piston and cylinder.

Unfortunately this engine has been sitting for a while and most likely the piston/cylinder and camshaft/rockers are no longer covered in oil.  I believe you should buy a spray can of Fogging Oil to spray into the cylinder to lubricate it when the engine is first started....you spray it through the spark plug hole.  Also the cam/rockers should be lubricated by removing the exhaust valve adjustment cap and squirting oil onto the cam and rockers.  There is a small oil reservoir that holds oil and the cam lobes dip into that oil at start up and it lubricates the lobes.....you should try and get oil into that reservoir before you start the engine.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3611429&bingpla=bingpl...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #38 - 07/16/15 at 10:41:06

Ok, will do. Before I get to a start up I will have it lubed up per these instructions. I will also do a manual turn over and over and make sure everything feels good. Man, you guys are awesome, Thank you for all the heads up here.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 07/16/15 at 11:18:16

We've seen needless loss and destruction. I spent over an hour fishing chunks out of the cylinder because I pulled the plug without thinking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #40 - 09/09/15 at 17:19:49

Ok, have a few days off in row here... Pulled the rotor off the old engine and now working on the new engine. Removing that nut is a mutha... So to recap and make sure I'm doing this right... I am swapping the rotors and using the old engine cover with the stator on it. Also swapping the starter gears so I do not break teeth on the bosses. using loc tight for the nut that holds the rotor on... Anything else? am I missing anything.

I know I will do a full oil soaking and/or fogging of the engine and hand turn it multiple times before I attempt to start. Just going threw everything in my mind before I do something stupid... Thanks everyone for your help with this...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 09/09/15 at 21:27:09

Just going threw everything in my mind before I do something stupid...

Yeah, I've always found it best to go over it in my head before I do something stupid. I always feel better about it, knowing I planned it all along.

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #42 - 09/10/15 at 09:02:00

now THATS funny.  Grin

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #43 - 09/10/15 at 12:04:16

rotor, stator and cover along with the starter torque limiter swapped. Bottom end gaskets going on soon... BUT before I do... Did I forget anything? Should I check something before I slap it all back together? I am going to swap the Versy tensioner on the other side so I have a little time before I screw it all down again.

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #44 - 09/10/15 at 12:08:26

Dave wrote on 07/16/15 at 06:30:11:
When a motor is torn apart for an overhaul and put back together...the mechanic will oil the moving engine parts so they are lubricated when the engine first starts......as it takes a few seconds for the oil pump to get the oil pumping through the new oil filter and circulation system, crank, bearings, up to the cam and rockers, and for the crankshaft to start throwing oil onto the piston and cylinder.

Unfortunately this engine has been sitting for a while and most likely the piston/cylinder and camshaft/rockers are no longer covered in oil.  I believe you should buy a spray can of Fogging Oil to spray into the cylinder to lubricate it when the engine is first started....you spray it through the spark plug hole.  Also the cam/rockers should be lubricated by removing the exhaust valve adjustment cap and squirting oil onto the cam and rockers.  There is a small oil reservoir that holds oil and the cam lobes dip into that oil at start up and it lubricates the lobes.....you should try and get oil into that reservoir before you start the engine.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3611429&bingpla=bingpl...

Will do on all this DAVE, I will be lubing everything down before I attempt to start. Just wanted you to know I remembered your post.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 13:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.