justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Knocking LS650
Reply #15 - 06/10/15 at 18:44:20

Agree, slap a motor in.

The guys here know what will swap.
Motor, yes, but the electronic stuff changes. What year, I don't know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 06/10/15 at 18:50:15

I found out the hard way that the turn signal plugs changed. Some of your electronics plugs may have to be modified. Maybe swap the harness too?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #17 - 06/10/15 at 18:58:57

darn... ok then. Time to find a motor. the 2011 will not work... too much harness swap and elec swap for me to want to deal with. Thanks everyone. I will update this when I get'r done.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 06/10/15 at 20:10:56

You shouldn't have any problems putting an 07 in a 98.
Old feller was the one that did the rocker reweld don't think he does it anymore

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/10/15 at 21:07:40

Thanks, but the heads done cooked, so, won't much matter now.
How about just a head and everything from there up?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #20 - 06/16/15 at 07:14:42

heading out to some Cycle salvage yards today. I'll let ya'll know if I find something.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 06/16/15 at 08:45:25

HBTim wrote on 06/10/15 at 18:58:57:
darn... ok then. Time to find a motor. the 2011 will not work... too much harness swap and elec swap for me to want to deal with. Thanks everyone. I will update this when I get'r done.

It wouldn't be a tough change.....just take the left engine case and stator wiring off the later bike and put the one from the earlier engine on.  The engine will work fine with that change.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #22 - 06/16/15 at 10:27:32

Dave wrote on 06/16/15 at 08:45:25:
HBTim wrote on 06/10/15 at 18:58:57:

It wouldn't be a tough change.....just take the left engine case and stator wiring off the later bike and put the one from the earlier engine on.  The engine will work fine with that change.

Well, that is easy. Ok, I am going to see if the engine is still available. Thats great man. Thanks.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 06/16/15 at 15:07:54

Wow..... looks like the previous owner didn't come here to get his information on replacing that oil plug when he pulled the top off.

Good thing you did though....

I know rockers can be built up... but not sure about cam recess (block) shims maybe?... I bow to higher authority on experiences with this engine.

Hope someone with more experience shows soon.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Superxin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/16/15 at 18:11:30

wow...maybe it's over.

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #25 - 07/15/15 at 09:32:52

ok, gots me an engine. It had 19200 miles on it. Picked up at a junk yard. So, Now comes the task of swapping stuff. I will be using the new engine and using the old engine as a parts engine. The first thing I need to do is swap the stator. Any thing I need to know about this swap. Is it straight forward? Also, I see a starter gear I will need to swap. no biggie here, that I see. Also, got the Carb in the deal. So have an extra Carb... Nice. So, back to my first question, Do I just swap the Cover with the stator on it? Should be doing this swap next Tuesday. I will swap my Versy tensioner over as well, inspect the cam chain as well. Man, this bike has taken forever!!

Here is the old engine with the cover off...

Said part to swap...

FREE CARB!!! HAHAHAH. Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 07/15/15 at 09:49:42

We may have said stator, but we meant rotor.
That has to swap because of the timing indicator is specific to the cdi you have.
You want to keep the newer stator and cover along with the starter torque limiter.  That'll keep you from busting out your starter bosses or breaking teeth.

Another key issue is it takes a special tool to pull the rotor.  There's one floating around here somewhere.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 07/15/15 at 10:12:19

Yeah....the forum bought a Puller to rent to members, and ultimately to create a "tool club" that you can buy a membership to. I currently have the puller in KY.

The puller will require a $ 100 deposit for the tool and to pay postage.  Once returned in good condition the deposit minus the rental fee will be refunded.  Rental fee is $ 5 and covers 30 days of use.  When the "Tool Club" is officially organized it will include a $ 10 fee for lifetime use of the "Forum Tools".

Let me know if you want the puller sent to you and I can send you the PayPal address for payment and mailing information.

Or....you can drag your engine to a Dealership and have them pull the rotor for you.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 07/15/15 at 10:15:42

It appears you bought an early 4 speed engine...is that what you wanted?

Do you know what year the replacement engine is?  Look a the rotors and see if they are the same....maybe you don' need to change it.

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #29 - 07/15/15 at 11:39:59

Oh dang... I'm not home but rotors look different... and YES Dave... NEEWB here, I meant rotor... lol Anyway, engine came of a 95 I believe and mine is a 98. I think. I will find out when I get home and get back to ya'll. The question would then be... easier to swap top end? It would not appear to though. urg!!  Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 20:03:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.