Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil question I haven’t seen addressed before (Read 140 times)
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil question I haven’t seen addressed before
04/01/18 at 07:23:37

Hi everyone, after some searching I still haven’t found the answer to this question. I have a 2002 Suzuki Savage and I was going to change the oil, I then found the drain plug to be impossibly tight. I thought that I can’t be wrenching on the right bolt so I looked for another. I ended up finding the drain plug at the front of the engine (see photo). I was able to drain a whole 2 qts from this even though it took forever lol. My question is that since draining it this way is a lot easier, is draining it this way good enough or am I doing it completely wrong? I know there will probably be some oil left in the bottom of the pan but still.  Cheesy

6E3B7AEF-D9B7-4589-A38C-4A7102B71DFD.jpeg
  IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Oil question I haven’t seen addressed before
Reply #1 - 04/01/18 at 07:35:24

Are you sure you got 2 quarts out?  The drain is where it is because its just about the lowest point so it all gets out.  This seems to be up a bit unless you jacked up the rear tire but theres no way thats easier than freeing that plug.  Another thing to consider is the reason the magnet is on the drain plug is to collect metal debris.  Mostly clutch if Im not mistaken.  If you dont get that out youre not removing what the magnet is collecting.  Just food for thought.  

Edit: as for the extra oil sitting, Harley sportster never get all the oil out.  They tend to hold about .5 quart.  So my issue wouldnt be the spare oil you arent removing its more cleaning that magnet on the plug.

IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/01/18 at 07:57:01

Hi thanks for the reply, I am sure I got 2qts out because I was able to fill two empty quart jugs from what I drained into the oil container I was using. It is definitely a few inches higher than the real drain plus so that’s probably why it takes forever to drain.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/01/18 at 08:15:53

That is not a drain plug - it is a threaded plug over the hole that was used to drill the passages in the engine for the oil to flow to/from the filter.

You may have gotten 2 quarts out - but there is a lot of oil in the sump that you didn't get out.  Look how that plug you removed is almost at the same level as the oil window.....there is a lot of oil you didn't get out of the engine.

You should be using the drain plug that is on the bottom of the engine to change oil......as it is low enough to get nearly "all" the oil out of the engine sump.

And....it is unfortunate that so many people over tighten the drain plug on engines.  The bolt should only be made firmly snug - not tight.  The bolt only needs to seal - the bolt does not hold the engine into the frame!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
edgwoodri

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/02/18 at 15:19:53

I had a car that had the oil plug on way to tight. I was afraid I would warp the pan if I tried to remove it. I brought the car to a quick oil change place. paid them and told them to use my oil. I figured that they have seen all kinds of things when it comes to drain plugs. They got it off no problem.

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #5 - 04/07/18 at 17:31:20

I have all my drain plugs drilled for safety wire now.
I use to ham fist drain plugs, ( I was scared they would fall out at some point).
But now it is torque wrench and safety wire.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 04/07/18 at 20:18:24

Drain plugs have so many fine threads like spark plugs that they don't need much torque to seal. I was more worried about front brake bleed screws.

Matchless G11 wrote on 04/07/18 at 17:31:20:
I have all my drain plugs drilled for safety wire now.
I use to ham fist drain plugs, ( I was scared they would fall out at some point).
But now it is torque wrench and safety wire.  

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #7 - 04/08/18 at 05:36:05

I was more worried about front brake bleed screws.

True,
If your oil drain plug falls out, your motor dies.
If your front brake bleed screw falls out, you could die!  :'(

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 14:41:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil question I haven’t seen addressed before

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.