Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: adding zddp
Reply #15 - 01/08/14 at 05:11:08

Here are some pictures of a cam and rockers out of an engine with 17,000 miles on it.  The engine was an 87 model and was taken apart after a kick back on start up broke the engine case.  The owner upgraded to a 5 speed engine and parted out the 87 engine.

The cam and rockers all show evidence of the use of oil without sufficient ZDDP.  The piston and cylinder look great, the bearing surfaces are all smooth and there is little visible wear - but the cam lobes and rockers are starting to fail.  The newer oil with low ZDDP levels is not adequate lubrication for the sliding friction at the cam and rocker interface.

And that is why we suggest you use Rotella T or T-6 - or supplement your oil with a ZDDP additive to get up over 1,200 - 1,400 ppm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 01/08/14 at 15:14:28

Dave, thanks for posting.  I hate to think what mine look like.   Shocked

I always thought oil was oil and you'll be in good shape if you keep it fresh.  Wrong again.  Like I mentioned I got some Eastwood ZDDP on the way and the change I did I put in normal shell rotella.  Thanks again.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 01/09/14 at 04:48:43

I got a 6-pk of zddp from Eastwood last late-summer at a good discount with an email sale so I'm good for a while.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #18 - 01/09/14 at 08:17:30

I will add.. because it has not been said in this thread...

Not only is there a NEED for ZDDP... BUT you MUST AVOID oils with Moly

This seems to be the BIG problem in the US... EPA/oil companies are moving away from ZDDP and moving to Moly. However, because the (older style) bikes have the clutches bathed in the engine oil... the Moly sticks to them and prevents their operation. Oil companys though like to use terms like "slickeners" instead of just saying Moly.

I use T6 not only because it does have ZDDP (in whatever amount) but also because it does NOT have Moly.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/09/14 at 08:54:26

Really, isnt it amazing? Rings, running up & down a wall, & so FAST they go,, & gasoline exploding, driving that compression ring even tighter against the wall, & yet, they do it over & over, & rarely fail. MILLIONS of times, running up & down, & the piston stays centered & rarely ever gouges up the wall. & then we have the oil to thank, so slick it is. It gets between things & keeps them from ripping each other apart. Its on that cylinder wall. Run one too rich too long & see what happens, itll wash that oil & the rings will tear it up. But what about that oil & those clutch disks? Its so slick between metal parts, but those little plates still grab each other,, & it seems to me that when I pull the clutch & allow those plates to open up, oil would walk up in between them & make them slip, but, nope, not unless its some fancy oil with Slickification added,
The point I make is, we ride these things & they go & to my mind, its just bordering on miraculous that an internal combustion engine even works for more than a few minutes before it eats itself alive,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #20 - 01/11/14 at 15:30:26

The ZDDP arrived in 2 days from Eastwood, which is amazing for slow boat cheap shipping.  I put some in and let it idle for a minute or 2.  Does that stuff work so good it actually makes the engine sound a whole lot smoother?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 01/11/14 at 22:59:18

Pine wrote on 01/09/14 at 08:17:30:

This seems to be the BIG problem in the US... EPA/oil companies are moving away from ZDDP and moving to Moly. However, because the (older style) bikes have the clutches bathed in the engine oil... the Moly sticks to them and prevents their operation. Oil companys though like to use terms like "slickeners" instead of just saying Moly.

I use T6 not only because it does have ZDDP (in whatever amount) but also because it does NOT have Moly.

I wish this was totally true, but T6 and every other full synthetic on the approved list has around 60 ppm of moly oil in them.

Moly oil is not the same thing as solid moly powder, which was the old style bad stuff that originally got moly its bad bad name.

Jury is still out on moly oil at 60 ppm level for any very long term issues.   All the full synthetics have it in there for extended drain interval reasons, so if moly oil at 60 ppm level was a widespread problem it would have showed itself by now, both here and in other forums as well.

Rotella T does not have moly oil in it as it is not considered a long drain interval oil.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #22 - 01/12/14 at 21:51:37

I'm have Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40 with Eastwood Zddp additive in the s40.  I took out the S40 today and it really ran well, a whole lot better than just off the shelf oil.  

I read the tech section oil recommendations, comments on this thread, and took took into consideration the advice of a good mechanic.  He was also apprehensive about full synthetic oil.  But it is hard to argue the fact that one fella has 100K+ on his.

By running basic oil, I think it was safe to say the top end of my engine were on the same path as the pictures on this thread.

Based on your experience, would you agree this is the ideal oil combination / recommendation.  Thanks.  

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #23 - 01/13/14 at 08:39:06

For what it's worth, I've been using full synthetic oil for the 6500 miles I've had my S40, and the previous owner used full synthetic for the 6000 miles he had it. So far, the clutch has never slipped in any gear. Now I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with synthetics and wet clutch motorcycles. Until this thread, I hadn't realized there was moly in these oils.

- David
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #24 - 01/15/14 at 22:01:12

Is there any chance that maybe the quality of the Suzuki cam and rockers are partly to blame for this kind of wear? Not trying to start an argument and if the Rotella works you'd be mad not to use it. Just that I remember fixing a bunch of Hondas (XR250) in the early 90's that had the same failures, and was caused by poor hardening. Early VF's too. Meanwhile there's a bazillion cars and bikes getting around on flat tappets with no problems at all. My DR250, XT 225 are both flat tappet, no problems there, and high mileage on any old bike oil. My Ducati has 100,000km and no wear evident (Ok, theres no valve springs there but the weird cam profile makes up for it...). BTW, I'm using Penrite diesel oil that has a large dose of zinc in the Cabbage, just in case. It's the same price as bike oil anyway.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 01/16/14 at 06:55:40

Gizzo, I think youre right to question the quality of the castings.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 01/16/14 at 08:41:01

Take it logically, please.   ALL cam lobes and rocker tappet surfaces are low to medium carbon steel with a case hardening layer on top of them.

All such products, car and motorcycle both, can have both case hardening and heat treatment variations.

Do we have these variation exposures on Savage parts, sure we do.

ZDDP was invented to allow car makers to MAKE A SILLY ENGINE THAT LASTED 100,000 PLUS MILES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Before ZDDP, engines got overhauled around 50-80,000 miles (more or less).

No pre-WWII car really lasted past 10-15 years before it was totally eat up.

=================

Now, speaking generally just about the Savage -- before we started using Rotella and bumping, it was not uncommon for folks to have to replace cams and rockers around piston time, which generally took place at 40-50,000 miles.

Does Rotella make a difference?     YES  

Is it easy to separate out ZDDP effects from everything else?    

No, you have to weed out all the "low oil episodes" etc. to get any raw data.   But you can do this if you keep track of it as the events happen.

Actually, since we as a group went to Rotella and began bumping, no new engine that started out on that regimen has ever required a piston due to wear out, or a cam or a set of rockers.   There were some that were run with car oils for the first 3/4 of their life that did though.

Versy goes through engines for high mileage run at high interstate speeds faster than just abut anybody.   Versy keeps oil in his engine pretty much religiously, so if anyone can answer that question he can.

=================

There are examples of high mileage old bikes that ran strictly old style oils, I got an example of such from Lancer a while back so I got a chance to look at it in some detail.

The case depth on the cam lobe tip was about totally gone, worn away.   It had remnants of the case depth cracking away and coming off (the pitting we see in the pictures).

No un-augmented old style oil can support our cam lobe and flat tappet system.

Can Rotella plus bump do the job?     Well, it apparently does it a lot better than un-augmented old style oils can do.

This also causes me to suggest that if you got some mild pitting you just put it back in and run it until it wears out.   You will eventually begin to lose power because your valves don't lift as high as they used to -- but by then you may be old enough not to really CARE about tippy top raw performance as much as you would now.

Wink

... or if you are a RYCA boy, get tired of the endless push up and sell the RYCA  and get you something else more comfortable.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 01/16/14 at 09:26:11

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/16/14 at 08:41:01:
... or if you are a RYCA boy, get tired of the endless push up and sell the RYCA  and get you something else more comfortable.

I'm thinking that when Arthritis sets in and I am on my way to Rigormortis.....I can move the clip ons to the top of the fork tubes, or bolt on some flat trackers bars.   Or maybe bolt on a side car and hire some young good looking gal to drive me around!

Sidecar.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #28 - 01/16/14 at 13:26:48

Thanks for the thoughts, Oldfeller. A couple of points: Pre WW2 metallurgy was such that parts just wore out faster. Materials and hardening have come a long way since then.
"No un-augmented old style oil can support our cam lobe and flat tappet system." I'd debate that (if I had debating skills). like I said earlier, my other flat tappet bikes are just fine on dino motorcycle oil and my old Commodore (3.8l buick v6) has 410,000km, never been apart and still runs like new (did a compression test last year and they are still within factory specs). It has hydraulic lifters, pushrods, pressed steel rocker arms. No special oil used, just whatever's on special, and changed every 10,000km.
Like I said, I'm not questioning the efficacy of Rotella, and I'd use it too, if it were available in Australia, just making the point that maybe Suzuki quality has to shoulder some of the blame, not only the antique architecture.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #29 - 01/16/14 at 14:23:01

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/11/14 at 22:59:18:
Pine wrote on 01/09/14 at 08:17:30:

I wish this was totally true, but T6 and every other full synthetic on the approved list has around 60 ppm of moly oil in them.

Moly oil is not the same thing as solid moly powder, which was the old style bad stuff that originally got moly its bad bad name.

Jury is still out on moly oil at 60 ppm level for any very long term issues.   All the full synthetics have it in there for extended drain interval reasons, so if moly oil at 60 ppm level was a widespread problem it would have showed itself by now, both here and in other forums as well.

Rotella T does not have moly oil in it as it is not considered a long drain interval oil.

I guess I should be more careful... a more correct statement might be:

many car oils advertising high amounts of ZDDP also have "slickeners" which are not compatible with wet clutches.  Choosing an oil baed on advertised ZDDP content is not suffiecient.. one must also avoid "slickeners". T6 seems to be one of a very few oils that meet both criteria.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 01:40:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › adding zddp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.