Send Topic Print
Rattling Sound (Read 143 times)
doubloshoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rattling Sound
01/16/14 at 18:00:43

Hello everyone I've been hearing a metallic rattle intermittently while riding. with so many posts related to the cam chain adjuster I opened mine up and it looks like its still within limits. I've attached an image, to me it looks like its about 15mm out and from what I've read I'm good till about 18 or 19.

The video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSKo7qQH3hE includes sound of what a loose cam chain sounds like and mine is nothing like that sound. its more of a rattle like a spring rubbing on metal, and its not constant only occasionally. I have looked all over the bike for any loose items but everything looks tied down properly. The sound seems to be coming from the left side of the engine.

Any advice on what it could be?

I have a 2012 S40. If more info is needed please ask.

WP_001448.jpg
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Rattling Sound
Reply #1 - 01/16/14 at 18:20:23

I have 2 noises as well.  The first was the speedometer that lies within the tank.  I was surprised by how much that thing vibrates.  I looked in the explosion diagram on partsfish.com and their are several springs which hold it to the tank.  Needless to say I ordered the spings and the gasket/cushin that the speedometer sits in.  I also found double sided, self bonding, expanding tape.  I'm waiting for those items to come in and a rapture pet before I put it all together.

The second noise is in the top left of the head when sitting on the bike.  I got a mechanics stethoscope and I'm guessing it is a valve.  It is amazing what you can hear with one of those.  I'm not sure, and I'll have to take it apart to be certain.  The part I don't quite understand is that the noise in the head comes and goes.  More so when it gets warmed up.  Regardless, it makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I'm just putting my 2 cents in because I'm having the same issues and perhaps the more knowledgeable people on the forum can offer some insight.  Thanks and best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/16/14 at 19:12:57

Put ear muffs on. If its louder, see a shrink..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/16/14 at 19:20:30

impossible to tell you what it is when you post someone elses and say it's not like that.    Sad

You got 2 diagnostics tools that you are going to use... hand and ear.
when you hear the noise, use your hand and grab various parts... mirrors, headlight, speedo, covers... anything and see if the noise stops.  when the bike is moving you also can use your foot, just don't try the spokes or pulleys.   Huh
most likely that part needs a wrench.
next, use your ear and screwdriver or stetho if you got 1 to chase down various places on the engine.  you'll have different noise depending on what angle you're touching the pointer with too.

your bike is talking to you, listen.  the loose lugnut on the seat is the hardest to find.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 01/16/14 at 20:00:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/16/14 at 19:12:57:
Put ear muffs on. If its louder, see a shrink..

I'll ask him about that after I address the voices.  I'm kidding of course. I know I couldn't hear the rattling noise with ear muffs on.   Shocked

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/17/14 at 03:23:10

Grab your headlight and your speedo and see what happens .....

Roll Eyes   (jest don' grab them at the same while you are rolling -- crash)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/17/14 at 03:34:54

Also check the top motormount above the head.  That has been found to allow movement and vibration.  Heck.....Check all the moutermounts while you are checking things!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/17/14 at 05:46:43

Wink      ...... and it is considered polite to post back occasionally to say you've done what has been suggested.  

Grin

So, if you don't carry on your half of the conversation, well, we don't talk down into them rain barrels for very long, the echo back is just plumb deafening to our weak old aged ear bones  ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 01/17/14 at 07:46:37

also where the belt guard meets the front pully cover theres a small
pad that goes in between the two

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 01/17/14 at 14:36:52

My parts arrived today so I'm going to start breaking it down when the temps are some what decent.  

I do have one other question.  The ticking noise in the top left of the head is always the worst when the engine is hot.  It is not nearly as bad or even noticeable when it is cool or right after you just start it.  Does anyone have any thoughts.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/17/14 at 14:50:04

pg wrote on 01/17/14 at 14:36:52:
I do have one other question.  The ticking noise in the top left of the head is always the worst when the engine is hot.  It is not nearly as bad or even noticeable when it is cool or right after you just start it.  Does anyone have any thoughts.  Thanks.

Sounds like normal valve noise...  for a big thumper...
Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 01/17/14 at 14:57:25

Thanks Sero!  My rapture pet and some items to tighten up the speedo came in.  I'm going to fix that, then I'm going to look at the cam chain next.  

IP Logged
doubloshoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/17/14 at 19:21:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/17/14 at 05:46:43:
Wink      ...... and it is considered polite to post back occasionally to say you've done what has been suggested.  

Grin

I only posted this thing yesterday. So I havent tried a single thing, not to mention I haven't visited the post since yesterday.

To everyone else thank you for the suggestions. I'ts definitely not the Speedo, as its been removed. I've tried grabbing everything I can get a hold on and haven't had any success. Unfortunately I cant use a stetho since it has only happened while in motion and only for a max of 3 seconds.

I'm going to tighten every bolt I can find and report back.

IP Logged
doubloshoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/17/14 at 19:26:50

verslagen1 wrote on 01/16/14 at 19:20:30:
impossible to tell you what it is when you post someone elses and say it's not like that.    Sad

I only posted that so that people knew I made at least some effort in researching my issue. I'd like to record what my noise is, but all I would get is wind noise.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 01/17/14 at 21:20:56

I understand your frustration...
Weird noises can be the ultimate booger... Grin...

On the good side... your camchain is the critical fear...
It seems okay...
Other noises can sound much worse than they are...
Yours sounds like it's possibly rpm related... try to focus in on that, and making it happen intentionally...

Is your speedo just disconnected, or is there a gaping hole?...  
We have infamous speedo housing, headlight ring, top motor mount, and front belt pulley nut noises...(none of these are too harmful,...excepting a long term loose front pulley)(in my experience, it is more a constant tick, mostly on decel)...
If you rule those out... we're on a loose screw hunt...

Keep us apprised... and we will gamely join in the chase...
Puzzles are what keep us here... we just need to rule out the likely suspects...
Best luck... Wink...

PS.. no one's against you here... we all want success...  and we all appreciate new members and friends...
We are just wary of snipe hunts without checking the usual suspects...  (99% are the usual suspects)...
Let us know when you get them checked out...

We will get you fixed... then, we welcome you to stay, and help others... and make friends and have fun...
Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 22:17:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rattling Sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.