Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run, Summer, 2014... (Read 5605 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...
Reply #75 - 10/22/13 at 10:04:44

OF, will shooting steel instead of brass hurt my rifles? I have a new Colt 223 and a new Mini 14. I read Ruger wouldnt back up their warranty if you shot steel casings. Thats all I can find around here.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #76 - 10/22/13 at 10:53:56

MMRanch wrote on 10/22/13 at 09:49:19:
ORider

What part of TN. ya looking at ?   It could be a "Day Ride" from my place ???    

About a mile east of Dukedom, Weakley County I'll look it up and get a feel for distance. We will probably hit there first and pay our respects, clean it up, put in fresh plastic flowers and head out to a hotel or your place. I have a two person tent, so we should be comfy.

Dukedom is about 9.5hrs away from here, so we will probably just drive to Jackson and spend the night there. From Jackson, Dukedom is like an hour and from Dukedom to Lynchburg is about 3.5hrs.

Not sure how many days she will have off, probably like 5 or 6 at the most, so we might miss your place and head straight to blueridge. If she wants to go at a different time, i'll be riding my bike the whole way up and back and will double with someone, and just make her vacation at the blueridge anyway, so she gets to see it and ride a bit around the area.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #77 - 10/22/13 at 11:15:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/22/13 at 09:51:10:

Plus we could trust her to only tell the truth about our little escapades, right?

Wink

Well she isn't so up on telling tales and would never agree to being the scribe, she ain't the writing type and probably would take all day to type 3 sentences. I didn't marry her for her book smarts, but after 29 years together I've realized she is smarter than one would think Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #78 - 10/22/13 at 12:56:36

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/22/13 at 09:51:10:

Old_Rider, by all means bring your wife with you to the Blue Ridge.   She will likely like it a lot and what she sees there will make her want to come back again sometime or another.    Look forward to taking her and tell her about Dave's wife going there and get her to looking forward to it, too.  It is a nice place for couples to ride together.

My wife did enjoy the Blue Ridge Campground.....and was sorry that we had to go somewhere else on Friday night.  She was not expecting a motorcycle based facility to be so pretty and peaceful. - and - When we stopped at the Dragon Inn on the way home, she commented that she felt uneasy and out of place with all the noise, commotion and speed.  She gotta Ying/Yang dose of both ends of the motorcycle lodging spectrum on our trip.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #79 - 10/22/13 at 13:38:37

We have never stayed overnight @ the dragon inn, we always stayed in the Robinsville Micro Inn and rode out from there every morning to what ever direction our hearts decided or the weather...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #80 - 10/22/13 at 14:05:46

Midnight,

Steel jacketed bullets are bad news for guns that do not have hard chromed bores.  Some SKS and AK  variants have chrome lined bores.

What  gun are you talking about?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #81 - 10/22/13 at 15:34:17

OF, they're not steel jacketed bullets, instead of brass lowers they have steel. The rifles I have are 223's, a new Colt AR15 and a new Ruger Mini 14. The bullets are Remington UMC's if that helps.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 10/22/13 at 18:53:04

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

And here is your definitive answer -- steel is bad news long term for your throat and barrel.   Steel case almost always means a copper plated steel jacketed bullet.  

And, according to this test series, even chromed chambers and bores erode more quickly and get torn up with the steel ammo much much quicker than the brass brass and the brass bullet jackets.

Accuracy says use brass

Gun life says use brass

Pure financial analysis says you can replace your barrel twice over the 10,000 round service test (whenever the accuracy goes away) and still come out ahead buying the cheaper plated steel bullets and lacquered steel cases ....

Read the whole thing, it goes into very good detail on all elements involved.

Now, here is my take on it --- learn how to reload.   You can cut the cost curve down way way below any of the lines on the chart above and have better ammo while you do it.

« Last Edit: 10/23/13 at 08:40:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #83 - 10/23/13 at 10:02:33

OF, I use to reload back in the 70's. Had a Ruger 357 Blackhawk I shot about every weekend. Its about impossible to find brass ammo around here for 223's unless you buy a bucket of 1000 which I cant afford right now. Hunting cartriges are mainly brass here. I basically have to shoot what I can get. I could see where a steel case could mess a chamber up if it had a burr on it. I saw a bucket of 1000 brass cased 223 bullets the other day for $400. I'll just start saving some coins, until then I'll feel of the steel case to make sure its smooth. All I'll probably do right now is zero the scopes in. I've got several 22's I shoot for fun, a Smith and Wesson 686 and a Ruger Mark lll. Got a beautiful Ruger 308 with Laminated stock, but I just carry it when I use to be able to deer hunt. With my disability I couldnt drag one out of the woods or skin it now. I bought those 223's just in case, well you know certain people start shooting. That new Colt 223 cost me a nice high dollar guitar but it is a NIB Police Trainer.. I've always wanted a Mini 14 after they improved them. For the last year they've been impossible to get unless you bought one from the pirates for $1200. Walked into Walmart the other night and there she sit, $697. New Mini 14. Of course she came to live with me. I've got a nice workbench in the basement just waiting for a press. I guess primers have become available again. With the price of powder and primers other than coming up with a custom load can you save that much reloading? I also have 2 Glocks, 9mm and 45, a Mossberg 835 magnum, H and R 10 gauge, a Bond derringer that shoots 45 or 410 shells, a Henry 22, Ruger 10 22 and a Marlin 60 and a Sig 522. I'm trading another guitar for a Mini 30 next week. It will be a little cheaper to shoot. Thats all I can think of right now LOL. I'll read your full article. Best I can figure we're about 2 hrs away. Next spring I'll ride down to your place and we'll fire off a few. I'd like to see your reloading set up.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 10/24/13 at 09:14:06

OK Midnight, I started up a RELOADING FOR THE REST OF US thread in Cafe where you can feel all comfortable sticking in all your gun questions.  

Really, I don't care where you ask them gun questions, these Dragon trip treads veer off all the time in the waiting months into all sorts of nooks and crannies.   Your question actually fits in fairly well as it is a "scoot & shoot" event we are planning.

=================    back to the trip

Roll Call check in on the general plan of the trip
  Time to be heard, yea or nay on the flow plan of the thing.   If you don't like a chunk, speak up about it -- that's what early planning is all about.

June 7th through June 15th a 9 day long (two weekends) span of time.

We got 9 days to play with, two places we want to stay at and one place we want to visit and spend the night.

How about we plan to stay Sat-Weds AM at MM's place, go to the Dragon Carnival Weds AM through late afternoon (or if Dave wanted to reserve a Dragon 3-man room we could even stay the night) then we can roll on down to Blue Ridge for Thurs - Saturday night in Cabin #4 on my nickel.   Sunday could contain MM's Fathers Day Rally for those headed back in that direction.

I guess the key part is if any newbies are going to want to come, in which case they would really want to stay that one night at the Dragon.  

Really, we need to plan out these trips for the folks we know are going to show up and catch the others as they come (if they come).

This layout gives 4 days shooting and screwing around at MM's place, a day/night/day at the Dragon and 3 days at Blue Ridge trying out all of Dave's new roads.

Dave and I are still working, so if we reserve the rooms we got the money to front them.  This can lower the bite for the guys who aren't working and makes it all a bit more reasonable for the core group who really really are going to be showing up.

==============

This is a Roll Call, so you have to respond if you are planning on going.

We are still at the vague "tossing ideas up at the wall" stage so please also give your opinions on the general flow of things too.

I keep on ASSuMEing that everybody knows what we do at each stop but that isn't true for a newbie Dragoneer now is it?

At MM's we sleep in the loft of his barn on air mattresses, we shoot misc. guns and ride bikes around going to get stuff to eat.  It is low stress, sit in a lawn chair, clean your rifle, talk and drink a beer out of the cooler type stuff.   If we get industrious, we go tour a Jack Daniels whiskey plant and sip the samples.

The Dragon is a noisy frenetic carnival atmosphere, with roaring bikes and lots of testosterone dripping off the roadsides, all flowing down into the fern choked hollows where all the scrap Hurleys rest in pieces.  

Folks like to try to go die fairly regularly up at the Dragon ... airlift medical helicopters, cops lights flashing, tickets given out thrice daily, that sort of stuff will go on while we are there.   Everything is gougey pricey at the Dragon Lodge and you have to ride 30-45 minutes one way just to find something other than Dragon BBQ/burgers to eat.

Blue Ridge is generally lots of older bikers, lots of couples, lots of touring and adventure bikes of all sorts and types.   Pace is more sedate than the Dragon.   People are nicer and walking around talking to folks is commonly done in the evenings.  You meet interesting people with interesting stories to tell at the Blue Ridge.

Blue Ridge is calming and relaxing, plus they will feed you 3 meals a day for a reasonable cost right on the site.  Nearest sit down meal of your choice is 20 minutes away at Waynesville or 5-7 minutes away at the Jukebox or the little Mexican place.  Depends on just how relaxed you are, really.

You can commit to any single part of the trip as that is how she is built on purpose.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #85 - 10/24/13 at 16:47:07

Unfortunately I can't commit to anything right now. The company I work for will be closing sometime in jan. I still hope to make an appearance but I'll have to see if I have a job or enough money to make the trip. If I do get to go, I'll probably head straight for the Blue ridge or the dragon. I'll keep an eye on this. I really missed going last year. I think I had a 5 year streak going before last year.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #86 - 10/24/13 at 20:51:03

Good to hear from ya AL.

Its just not the same without ya !  Smiley

If you doin't make it ,...,,,...k  Huh Huh Huh   we might come get ya !  Grin
Shocked Wow ... that might be a fun trip in-its-self !!!  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #87 - 10/26/13 at 21:59:26

went to Lynchburg Choppers today ;

image001_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 10/27/13 at 14:15:38

Looks like we miss this particular show by a whole week.  

Is this the same rally you were thinking about, because Father's Day is on the 15th according to the calender?    This one goes off on the 21st.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #89 - 10/27/13 at 20:11:39

Same one , Different date this year !  Huh

If we change to a week later , how does that fit everbody ?

Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 37
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:25:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.