boosting the thumper (Read 5206 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: boosting the thumper
Reply #45 - 07/29/13 at 14:57:13

Stumbled across this today while looking at alternative fuel tanks. If its already been posted my apologies.
http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/3/5/jl-mekaniikka-supercharged-nitrous-jawa...

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 07/29/13 at 16:19:45

yeah thats pretty sweet! not much of a plenum which is why he'd experiencing a rough idle from the sc pulses

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #47 - 07/29/13 at 17:35:00

Some pretty nice work this dude did.

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #48 - 08/01/13 at 20:59:38

Tune it properly and get the drive ratio right on yer blower and you won't need a plenum.

I will agree, that little turbo fits in there quite nice. Just thinking about exhaust routing, oil feed/return lines, intercooling, and carb tuning for variable boost levels makes my head hurt though. I think I'll stick with supercharging.

That Aisin AMR300 is a rare find in the states. Where'd you get her? Wanna sell 'er?  Wink

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #49 - 08/01/13 at 21:02:56

LANCER wrote on 07/29/13 at 17:35:00:
Some pretty nice work this dude did.

Love it! That outboard piggyback rear shock on a single sided swingarm is sweeeeet!

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 08/01/13 at 21:10:39

they're not easy to find here in NZ either but they do come up from time to time. I could have got the AMR500 as well but it's physically larger.

If for some reason all this fails miserably then I'll sell it.

I've worked out that the crank pulley needs to be about 91mm

I opened up the stator case last night pouring oil all over the floor. (That last bolt behind the peg is a nuisance!)

My plan from the previous drawing is not going to work. There is not enough room in front of stator for bolts to hold a steel plate.

So my plan is now a simple one, drill out the access port to accept a bearing. Take apart an alternator and use the pulley shaft. Machine the end of it to the same thread as the bolt that goes into the crank inside the stator cover. Done.

I'm going to also need forward controls I think.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #51 - 08/01/13 at 21:58:04

savagebob wrote on 08/01/13 at 21:10:39:
I'm going to also need forward controls I think.

I think you'll need mid controls myself.

WWW   IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 02/02/14 at 17:49:44

Update on Supercharging progress.

• Machined a sealed bearing into side cover
• Designed and had an engineering firm make a drive shaft
• Custom made adapter plate with keyway
• Mounted Supercharger to original battery placement
• Aligned pulleys

Currently working on a tensioner system for the belt, I've nearly got the connection complete to engine, and the carb side is pretty straight forward. Nearly got a cover sorted for it as well.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #53 - 02/03/14 at 07:28:27

Very cool SavageBob,   it seems you've made a lot of headway on the project and are nearing completion with project BOOST!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 02/03/14 at 18:51:22

thanks, I'm pretty keen to see how it goes, if successful I might look at putting together kits for people if there is enough demand.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #55 - 02/13/14 at 09:31:05

sbob... might want to ask these guys a question or two if you can find their site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKrfGay4FlI

Looks like they did a super charger on it... was back in 2011, I just ran across it looking at vids for different you tube mods....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 02/13/14 at 09:57:31

If the demand was there and you offered a kit (minus the supercharger it's self) what would be your price, you can ballpark wouldn't hold you to it.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #57 - 02/13/14 at 10:29:21

The rno cycles site is easy to find, but I didn't find it all that informative

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 02/13/14 at 13:15:07

yeah I've seen that but unfortunately there is just no information on it and they don't answer any questions. Makes me suspicious that it didn't run well or something.

Chris: I honestly don't know cost yet. Firstly I want to get it running and prove that it's a viable alternative for power. I'm hoping that it is going to be cheaper, more reliable and more powerful than the big-piston/cam/compression route. If it's not then I probably won't bother doing the kits.

I had planned, initially, that I would be able to provide a complete kit with everything you need. I know that the AMR superchargers are a rare find in the US so I would look to provide those as an option.

However, the parts involved so far are too varied and random for me to be able to produce en masse. What I mean is, I've built a lot of stuff from bits in my shed out of old car parts etc.

So what it will probably be is a part-kit including the 'difficult' parts; Supercharger, Drive Shaft, Pulley, Belt, Modified stator cover with bearing. I can do those. Once it's running I'll look into the other random bits and see what can be provided: mounts, cover, tensioner, plumbing. But there will probably have to be some 'user-input' into competing it.

And I might offer a 'basic' kit which will just be the drive shaft and cover mod for those who want to work out the rest of it themselves.

But yeah, let me get it running first.  Cheesy

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 03/02/14 at 00:10:38

Ok I've got it running.

Here is a short idling vid:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152359786147577&set=vb.568542576&type=...

The carb is reacting in a strange fashion. It will idle, but as soon as I give it a little bit of throttle, the revs pick up for a sustained period and really slowly return. It's like, the intake is holding the slide open although that doesn't seem to be what is happening. If I give the throttle quite a decent, sharp pull then it will backfire and stall. I need to start the carb tuning.. carbs aren't my strong suit.  Undecided but at least it runs!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › boosting the thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.