Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
boosting the thumper (Read 5206 times)
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Re: boosting the thumper
Reply #60 - 03/02/14 at 09:25:59

It sounds like the vacum from the turbo is holding the vacum controlled jet needle in the carb for too long after you let go of the throttle.. A CV carb is probably not the best choice..

With a CV carb you only control the air inlet by hand, the gas inlet is controlled by the vacum.. With a non CV carb you control both air and gas by the throttle..

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 03/02/14 at 12:20:08

Thanks Michael.. only it's not a CV carb, it's a VM36 Mikuni.
And there is no turbo.. it's a supercharger.

I have read on a few sources that hanging revs is a symptom of a lean mixture so I'll try adjusting the screw and then it's jet swapping time.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #62 - 03/03/14 at 01:25:44

I thought it was a cv by looking at the pictures, and yes supercharger ofcourse...  Wink Should've read the thread through before posting, my apologiez.

Anyway super cool project, Im looking forward to see how it turns out..!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 03/03/14 at 02:25:11

had a muck around with it tonight. No adjustment seems to change the high idle. It's almost like the SC is drawing air at a high velocity under the slide even when it is shut. I remounted the carb to make sure the cable wasn't hanging on something - no change.

..It's possible that the VM36 isn't a good choice for this, or perhaps the UFO is  the problem. I'll have another play tomorrow night and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

SavageBob is quite loud..  i don't think the neighbours are enjoying having an apache chopper next to their bedroom at midnight.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #64 - 03/03/14 at 08:52:04

savagebob wrote on 03/03/14 at 02:25:11:
had a muck around with it tonight. No adjustment seems to change the high idle. It's almost like the SC is drawing air at a high velocity under the slide even when it is shut. I remounted the carb to make sure the cable wasn't hanging on something - no change.

..It's possible that the VM36 isn't a good choice for this, or perhaps the UFO is  the problem. I'll have another play tomorrow night and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

SavageBob is quite loud..  i don't think the neighbours are enjoying having an apache chopper next to their bedroom at midnight.  

You asked about spring pressure in your email, and that could be an issue with this setup.  It is not something I've had to deal with before, so cannot say for sure but it is worth exploring.  If there is a local shop with heavier springs available you could try, it would be worth it to see what happens.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #65 - 03/03/14 at 08:59:16

savagebob wrote on 03/02/14 at 12:20:08:
I have read on a few sources that hanging revs is a symptom of a lean mixture so I'll try adjusting the screw and then it's jet swapping time.

And an air leak could be the cause.  And would explain the high idle.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 03/03/14 at 09:21:54

savagebob:

I can't see for sure how you have the carb and supercharger set up.  Are you pulling air through the carb and then it goes into the supercharger...or do you have the supercharger pushing air into the carb?

If you have the air from the supercharger going into the carb....I am not sure how you will ever get it to run correctly.  The carb operates by having a vacuum in the the venturi - but if you are forcing air into the carb you may be eliminating the vacuum and pressurizing the venturi...and this will be most severe when the engine is at speed and you close the throttle resulting in "overboost".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
curmudgeon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 03/03/14 at 10:35:21

I would hope he's running supercharger to carb, not the other way around. If you're running carb to supercharger, you're literally sitting on a pipe bomb waiting to explode.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 03/03/14 at 10:39:58

curmudgeon wrote on 03/03/14 at 10:35:21:
I would hope he's running supercharger to carb, not the other way around. If you're running carb to supercharger, you're literally sitting on a pipe bomb waiting to explode.

That is my point however....supercharger to carb....and the carb will not function as it will not always have a vacuum in the venturi.  Without the vacuum it cannot pull fuel out of the float bowl.

Fuel injection (mechanical or electronic) works between the supercharger and engine.....carbs need to be operating at atmospheric pressure.  Think about any V-8 engine with a blower and carbs....the carbs are sitting on top of the supercharger and the air is being pulled though the carbs where it gets the fule added, and then pushed into the engine.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 03/03/14 at 12:33:06

Yes it's a draw-through setup. Carb on one side, it draws air and fuel through into SC and then compresses to engine. It's a old school method and has been done like this since the 1940s.

There is no plenum of significance or a intercooler so the tract isn't really large enough to be a bomb. Should that actually occur, it would just blow off the silicon joiner.

So the carb doesn't know there is a supercharger there. Essentially it should just act like it's on a larger engine. However, it's possible that the SC is creating so much vacuum at idle that it's sucking fuel under the closed slide. The UFO might be making that worse

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 03/03/14 at 12:47:08

OK.....we got the carb on the "correct" side.

I don't know anything about the UFO.  I had a chance to use one - but first I tried the VM36 without one.....and it runs so nice I hate to change it.

Without the UFO, I was surprised to learn that when the throttle is closed and a high vacuum is created by the closing of the slide - the mixture goes very lean.  This is caused by the slide dropping and essentially closing off the main jet/needle jet and only allowing fuel to flow through the pilot jet.....while a bunch of air is pulled under the slide.  Before I had the O2 sensor I had thought the high vacuum was pulling too much fuel.....and I was proven wrong.  Our Savage backfires because the mixture is so lean when we close the throttle that the spark plug cannot ignite the lean mixture - but the hot exhaust pipe can once enough fuel builds up in the header (or you open the throttle enough that the combustion process in the cylinder resumes).

The superchager may be causing this lean condition to occur whenever the throttle is closed and the inlet vacuum remains high while the engine is still slowing down.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 03/03/14 at 13:05:22

Dave that sounds quite plausible and would explain why I'm getting hanging revs I think.. one blip of the throttle and it just takes off like a aeroplane.. also explains why I get an massive backfire out exhaust when I shutdown.

so.. any thoughts about what to do about the extreme vacuum?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #72 - 03/03/14 at 13:17:12

There must be some way to make it work.  Plenty of cars are running carbs and superchargers.....although they are running butterfly type carbs instead of slides.

I don't know what the UFO does when the slide is closed......I know the pilot jets are made much smaller because the UFO allows fuel to be pulled out the Needle Jet at low throttle settings.

I know a little bit about carbs and jetting.....I know nothing about adapting superchargers and turbos.  I might suggest that adding an Oxygen sensor would let you know exactly what is going on with the fuel mixture and take away some of the guessing.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #73 - 03/03/14 at 13:41:08

The UFO just streamlines the throat and allows the air to flow with less resistance, which increases airspeed and improves the pickup of the fuel from the pilot system.  That is why a smaller jet is needed.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 03/03/14 at 13:55:17

I have actually got an O2 connected, it's it a mount bolted up the tailpipe but isn't getting a reading. Either it's not getting enough exhaust back there for a decent reading - or more likely I haven't run it long enough to get it hot enough to work.

My mate has a wide-band 02 I might borrow soon.

I have looked at the slide whilst running, and I don't really think it's being sucked open. The VM36 has a fairly hefty spring.. I'd be really surprised if that is what is happening. Personally I think Dave is on the money, the SC can suck with so much vacuum even at idle that it's leaning out and running high.

The idle screw doesn't lower the idle at all either.. it's like, the SC just drawing air under slide through extreme vacuum. Either that, or there is a leak somewhere. Everything is pretty tight though!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:54:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › boosting the thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.