Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
boosting the thumper (Read 5206 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Turbocharging the thumper
Reply #30 - 06/28/13 at 03:41:55

was never the intention to get 60% more power or anything like that. But, like most I want a bit more out of the old lump and I always think if you can you should  Cheesy

The effects of forced induction comes down on boost levels. Most engines can handle 5 or 6psi without complaint. In many cases forced induction is kinder on the engine than a n/a setup for revs.

I'm more concerned with the pulsation effect on the turbo from the single.. the more I look into it the more  Undecided it gets. I think a small supercharger would be interesting.

and for the record the bike is just a bit of fun for me so I don't really think about if the clutch will die or if the engine will get too hot.. finding out is all part of the fun  Cheesy

IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #31 - 06/28/13 at 17:56:18

When you get it done you'll have to post pix and video.

If like to see that

Jay

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #32 - 06/28/13 at 19:38:55

I'm sure you already know this, but increasing the intake manifold pressure will also increase combustion chamber pressure and temperature. This quickly leads to the need for higher octane fuel to avert detonation. If the available premium fuels are not up to the task you might find yourself looking into racing fuel. The other alternative is to lower engine compression ratio a bit. You still get the benefit of burning more air/fuel mix, but lose a little efficiency to the lower compression.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but when the MINI came out several years ago it was offered in naturally-aspirated and supercharged versions. I believe the compression ratio for the n/a version was up around 9.5, while the ratio for the supercharged version was about 6, maybe 6.5. The supercharged one made about half again the horsepower. Both required premium fuel. Presented merely for information.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #33 - 06/30/13 at 07:26:38

SALB wrote on 06/26/13 at 19:51:15:
I think I'd be more inclined to take the safer, pre engineered route.  Laughing gas!  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  

http://www.holley.com/03001NOS.asp

Has anyone got experience running nitrous on a LS650 ?  I have been looking at that same kit for some time, thought it might be fun to have for “special occasions”.   Wink

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 06/30/13 at 16:50:08

^ THAT would be fun

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #35 - 07/03/13 at 21:00:33

If you are running a draw through design, DO NOT use a plenum. Not if, but when the engine backfires, you will blow up a perfectly good motorcycle, and probably a fair part of yourself. Since you've already found that a turbo won't work so well anyway, focus your research on supercharging. But, again, no plenum with draw through. Since the s/c would run off the crank or clutch, no plenum would be needed anyway.

There are four main types of superchargers. Twin rotor, twin screw, eccentric vane, and centrifugal. All have their strengths and weaknesses. The aisin AMR300 or AMR500 are small size twin rotors that could work well. The Eaton M24 is too. From what I can tell, the Judson type eccentric vane would probably be best for this application, but good luck finding one.

You could go blow through to eliminate puddling, but then you'd have to pressurize the float bowl and get real creative with jetting as the carb reacts to velocity not density.

If you do go draw through, make friends with Lancer so he can give you advise on carb tuning.

Whatever you decide, keep us posted. (Me primarily, as I intend to do a supercharger myself) Just be careful, and remember that if you do blow yourself up, we could all use the advice on what not to do! Wink

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 07/05/13 at 05:49:47

I never intended on running a plenum. Sitting on a chamber of pressurized air/fuel mix doesn't sound right to me.

I was going to feed the turbo almost directly into the engine, perhaps with a small intake tube acting as a kind of plenum.

Despite having a sweet little VZ21 turbo in my garage.. it's so perfect for it.. I might turn my attention to supercharging as you say.

I'm thinking I could fab up a shaft to thread onto the end of the stator drive end, drill a hole in the access plug and mount a bearing there for it to spin on whatya think?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #37 - 07/05/13 at 13:04:32

I think you have a vision and should pursue that vision.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 07/05/13 at 16:30:13

If I was gonna do that, Id REALLY wish for enough $$ to get a used engine
& either build it up or swap it in, run it & build mine up on the bench. That way, you could work on it, set it up on a stand, get a fan on it, test it, work it out, then stick it in & ride,
Then, you could sell the used engine,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #39 - 07/05/13 at 19:31:10

savagebob wrote on 07/05/13 at 05:49:47:
I'm thinking I could fab up a shaft to thread onto the end of the stator drive end, drill a hole in the access plug and mount a bearing there for it to spin on whatya think?

I think that's probably the best place to tie into. You'll need to run some kind of oil seal in addition to the bearing.

Are you thinking belt drive or chain drive?    

Jackshaft?

What's your target boost?  

Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #40 - 07/05/13 at 19:38:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/05/13 at 16:30:13:
If I was gonna do that, Id REALLY wish for enough $$ to get a used engine

I think you may have just hit the nail on the head, JOG!

If there's one thing I'm good at (and I'm sure there is just one) it's pushing a motor too far and ending up with a really expensive paper weight. But, dam if it isn't fun 'till she blows!.....I could have phrased that better.

Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 07/05/13 at 21:11:55

I think you may have just hit the nail on the head, JOG!

good that you can recognize it,, i do it a lot, really,, tho some are just unwilling to get it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 07/23/13 at 02:57:23

couple of interesting shots from my shed, here is a tiny AMR300 supercharger from a 660cc supercharged Vivio. It's just stuffed in there at the moment to show size.

If I was going to use this I'd run it off a pulley mounted through the stator cover.

Here is an equally interesting shot of a VZ21 turbo stuffed in there.. it fits so well!

The issue I'm thinking about now is the need for a plenum on a single cylinder. The thought of sitting above a box of pressurized air/fuel mix which could explode with a backfire makes me nervous.  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 07/23/13 at 10:09:40

Build it with a weak side, so If it blows, it blows down & away.,maybe a section of a side,,

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 07/25/13 at 18:28:08

this a rough sketch on a potential way to mount a pulley to the stator side of the engine, thoughts?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 22:53:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › boosting the thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.