Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler build (Read 4582 times)
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Savage Scrambler build
Reply #15 - 03/29/13 at 20:51:49

Thanks Casey!
Inspired by you guys, for sure!
I'm positive it's labor intensive!
It's really cool to have someone like you comment.

Motivation is the key! Will. Not. Stall.

caseyLA wrote on 03/29/13 at 15:08:27:
Jiggyfly wrote on 03/29/13 at 05:47:36:
 They probably
farm out the pieces they weld on, so their laser cut, & then have a pattern/go-no-go or something for the cut out. Plasma cutter, laser....I'm not sure! Anyone been there & seen how they do it?

I've seen how they do it, and it's a crazy mess  Smiley

But yeah, it's done by hand and takes a looooong time. I wish we could sell them individually for cheaper, but it's just not possible. We' ll be posting some photos of a RYCA a guy put together with the stock tank next week.

I think the important thing is to not get hung up on one thing for too long. Keep the project moving. Momentum is everything.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #16 - 03/29/13 at 21:56:22

Sorry to hijack the thread with this question, but here I go  Cool

Speaking of Cast wheels,   Anyone know of any matching cast wheels that fit where the rear has a right hand disk brake that will physically fit?  Yes I know I'll have to fab up mounts for the the caliper and master cyl. but that shouldn't be to difficult.  I'm guessing the rear would be a 16" so the matching front would most likely be a 21" to keep the symmetry of from the stock setup.  I plan on doing a chain conversion anyways so the fact that most I've seen with the rear disc having the right hand disc being a chain drive isn't an issue for me.

Just right now I can't think of a way from looking at it how it would be possible to convert the stock wheel to a disk brake with the way the drum brake system is mounted.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 03/29/13 at 22:55:17

Easiest is Harley Davidson if you want a 21/16 or 19/16 or 16/16. FX series.

Want to stay spoked instead? Chain drive VT1100, late 90s or newer.

Either way, you get to play "fit the tiny axle into the big bike wheels". Savage has a 5/8" (16mm) axle.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 03/30/13 at 03:33:28

Why do you want a disc brake on the rear?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #19 - 03/30/13 at 14:32:52

Gyrobob wrote on 03/30/13 at 03:33:28:
Why do you want a disc brake on the rear?

1. I just like the looks of the rear disc.
2. I just want to be different
3. if I had a full hydraulic brake system I could come up with a way to combine the brakes like they are on some of the newer bikes so that with the front brake lever it activates both the front and rear brakes at the same time.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/30/13 at 16:06:25

Fwiw: a fraction of the best pavement racers use the rear brake. Many of us lack the foot sensitivity to modulate it accurately. Several of my race bikes haven't even had a functional rear brake. I've been known the pry to pads all the way back, so there's no drag on the rear wheel. I have 2 rear brake positions; stomped on, & off. So I don't bother. I've done a ton of miles on big bagger Harley's, & those are totally different, with a GVWR approach 1k lbs. on most bikes, for most people, it's difficult.
A linked system is even worse. A car pulls out in front of you, you grab a strong handful of front brake.....the front dives, the rear unweights....more brake pressure is applied to an unweighted tire, & before you know it, you have a locked up, skidding tire that's trying to come out from under you. Not good.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #21 - 03/30/13 at 16:27:02

well the linked braking is just an idea I had, don't know if I would actually do it or not, as it could be very interesting on test rides getting it setup properly.  Yes I do realize the possibilities of rear wheel lockup on emergency braking so if I did do a linked braking system I would tend to set it up on the light side for the rear so that even under really heavy braking it would be just shy of locking up the rear wheel.

R.F.

IP Logged
Gentlemanjim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/06/13 at 02:26:27

I'm very interested in the cast wheel swap.  Which KZ wheels and what size are they?  I prefer 17" or 18", a 19" Front is ok with a 18" or 17" rear.  Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/08/13 at 03:19:18

Finished swing arm mods, tonight. Got the divot out of the cross brace & a piece of sheet metal welded in. Looks pretty good. Here's a bad pic, more to follow.

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/08/13 at 16:32:18

Gentlemanjim wrote on 04/06/13 at 02:26:27:
I'm very interested in the cast wheel swap.  Which KZ wheels and what size are they?  I prefer 17" or 18", a 19" Front is ok with a 18" or 17" rear.  Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

These are KZ1300 wheels, but the "KZ-wheel-ology" is extremely convoluted, so just do research. They changed & shared axle sizes, rotor, sprocket carriers, etc, etc, seemingly at will & on a regular basis.
I don't even have a front brake rotor yet, or know which caliper I'm going to use......but I'll make it work. These are not "bolt on", I can tell you that.  Wink

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/15/13 at 00:17:14

18" tire clearance.

Different bars, not what I'll use, but gives me a better feel for what's going on. Getting closer. Hope to have welding done this week, & then to PC.

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/15/13 at 00:18:15

waiting on seat loop.  Undecided

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/03/13 at 22:51:12

Update: of course nothing ever goes as fast as we want it to, or in my case, as fast as life allows! I currently have 85% of the parts fabricated. I've been waiting on my seat loop to finish some ideas & making some parts. Well, it got here! The delay was more about me than anything! Deciding a width, length, etc! Anyways, I got it! I'm borrowing a TIG welder this next week from work, & should have everything welded up by next weekend. I'm stoked! It doesn't look like much progress, but I feel like it's ready to explode!
Ordered some tires, rear sets, bars, & possibly a front rotor from Speedmotoco. I say "possibly" because it has a 5 week lead time from Spain! Not sure I can wait that long, so Brian is researching some alternatives for me.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #28 - 05/04/13 at 04:41:31

You might want to check the clearance between the tire and these bolts when the swingarm is up against full compression of the shocks.  On my CS-1, the bolts there were digging into my precious Avon Speedmaster 4.00-18 tire.  

When I first put the thing together, the tire rubbed on the swingarm.  I thought I had fixed everything when I hogged out the swingarm some more.  See Double RYCA Build thread reply #237  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/237

But then, after I got a little more clearance so the tire would not rub on the swingarm, the bolts circled in red on the pic of your scrambler above, started digging into it.  So, I countersunk the holes in the panel, made some 8mm bolts with countersunk heads and reinstalled.  You can't get a whole lot of torque with a flat screwdriver, and you run the risk of mucking up the screwdriver slot, so I just screwed it in moderately tight with a screwdriver, then gave it a couple of taps with an impact wrench to make it secure.  Locktite is nice, as well.

I'll be posting the whole procedure for making this mod in the Double RYCA Build thread shortly.  

Sorry for the fuzzy pic,... it is from a phone.

Tongue

« Last Edit: 05/19/13 at 12:39:17 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/04/13 at 06:03:50

Thanks for the heads up!
I was going to use button heads. hopefully they clear!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:19:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.