Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler build (Read 4582 times)
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage Scrambler build
03/28/13 at 00:35:34

I've finally gotten enough parts together I feel comfortable with going forward with this project.
I, like many before me, found Ryca to be extremely cool. Great idea! I love the concept, but never cared for the way the cafe tail seemed to end too soon, barely, if even, reaching the back axle. Then I see the scrambler version, & thinking I might want to throw the wife on the back & ride for a quick burger or ice cream....it made more sense. Next- I'm a mechanic & fabricator, so I'm more interested in doing things myself, as well as a little interpretation of how I feel things should look, stop, & go. For sure I wanted to do something unique! But how? Ryca has become pretty popular, garnering lots of motorcycle media, and rightfully so! To be honest, I wanted a Yamaha SR500, & could not find one! The "street tracker" craze is beginning to rival the "cafe" builders. I love the "dirt track" look with the big 18" & 19" spoked aluminum wheels. How better to stand out than to have some aluminum wheels?! None that I can think of?! Hours of research & eBay shopping later, my Paypal account beeping & sputtering......the UPS guy dropping boxes off, (a regular occurrence at my house!) & we have wheels! Now to make them work.....

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Savage Scrambler build
Reply #1 - 03/28/13 at 00:41:03

My footpeg brackets, in polished stainless steel.
No end plates until I finalize a position.

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/28/13 at 00:44:25

The right side bracket is a different shape because it will also be where the exhaust bracket goes.

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/28/13 at 00:50:26

Next is the machine of parts, spacers, brackets, etc.... To make the wheels & brakes work. (Fingers crossed!)
Tires
7/8" bars. 1" stuff is cool for cruisers & Harley's, but I want to ditch the (to me) ugly stock switchgear & go with something modern & smaller.
I also have a Brembo radial master cylinder that's just dying to have a place to live besides a box in my garage! So 7/8" bars it is!

& then we'll make the seat loop & frame work.
I see some grinding, welding, & cutting in my future!
Smiley I like it!

Hopefully you guys dig it, too!

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/28/13 at 00:53:06

Here's my other motorcycle.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 03/28/13 at 03:35:05

Very cool Jiggy, Looking forward to watching your progress unfold  Wink

Also wishing you good luck, minimal headaches and great icecream after being finished!   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/28/13 at 07:32:22

So kind of like this but with alloy wheels? Low pipe a la English TT or high pipe like thigh burner Honda Scramblers?

Or more like this:

Decisions decisions...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/28/13 at 08:27:31

Those Mags will definitely stand out! Are those old GS wheels? I've read here that some of them are a direct swap, at least on the rear. Makes it easy to upgrade to chain drive!

I can't wait to see where you go with this.
Tell us your plans? What are you doing for a tank?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/28/13 at 08:42:20

Not GS wheels, either yamy or kow wheels.  spill it man, gotta know!

You'll need a GS450 disk (need to double check that) to match the thickness and take off a little on the OD to match the savage.  Hole pattern looks the same.  And somewhere between 1/4" and 5/16" spacers to shift the disk out.

WWW   IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/29/13 at 05:38:29

They're Kawi KZ wheels, both 18".
The plan is to buy an aftermarket (probably EBC) rotor, & likely use a significantly upgraded front caliper (likely a Brembo 4 piston) with a custom made brake bracket. I like brakes.  Wink

I've done all of this stuff before, just not on a Savage.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 03/29/13 at 05:47:02

Addaway, Jiggyfly!

My two cents' worth :

1. The Savage is a big single: if you want the bike to look "proper", check out the vintage thumper scramblers made by Ducati and by Royal Enfield.

May I suggest you avoid looking at the scrambler twins (Honda, Triumph etc) because the engine will give the bike a completely different look.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/29/13 at 05:47:36

The tank will likely be the stock unit, with the gauge hole welded up. The stock shape is bad for the Ryca cafe bike, but after looking and looking & looking at mock ups, I think I can make the angle look right with the stock tank. If not, I may have found a different tank that will work.
I'll say this, the Ryca tank mods are expensive, but also very nice.
I could cut the bottom off and weld it up.....but get no where near the accuracy & consistency on the 2 different sides that they do. They probably
farm out the pieces they weld on, so their laser cut, & then have a pattern/go-no-go or something for the cut out. Plasma cutter, laser....I'm not sure! Anyone been there & seen how they do it?

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/29/13 at 05:57:18

Example:

IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #13 - 03/29/13 at 15:08:27

Jiggyfly wrote on 03/29/13 at 05:47:36:
 They probably
farm out the pieces they weld on, so their laser cut, & then have a pattern/go-no-go or something for the cut out. Plasma cutter, laser....I'm not sure! Anyone been there & seen how they do it?

I've seen how they do it, and it's a crazy mess  Smiley

But yeah, it's done by hand and takes a looooong time. I wish we could sell them individually for cheaper, but it's just not possible. We' ll be posting some photos of a RYCA a guy put together with the stock tank next week.

I think the important thing is to not get hung up on one thing for too long. Keep the project moving. Momentum is everything.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 03/29/13 at 19:40:57

caseyLA wrote on 03/29/13 at 15:08:27:
Jiggyfly wrote on 03/29/13 at 05:47:36:
 They probably

I've seen how they do it, and it's a crazy mess  Smiley

But yeah, it's done by hand and takes a looooong time. I wish we could sell them individually for cheaper, but it's just not possible. We' ll be posting some photos of a RYCA a guy put together with the stock tank next week.

I think the important thing is to not get hung up on one thing for too long. Keep the project moving. Momentum is everything.

It would be an interesting process to watch.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 18:08:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.