Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 17417 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......The project begins!
Reply #30 - 02/03/13 at 18:14:01

Well I worked on the bike a lot this weekend.....it was just very slow work and doesn't look like much.

I worked on the kickstand.  I bought the RYCA part that holds the kickstand - but I did not buy their brace.  I wanted to possibly mount the battery from the brace at the bottom of the engine - so I wanted to fabricate a good brace.  I welded on a raised area that nests into the bracket that used to hold the guides for the brake cable on the right side.  I threaded the right side and welded the left side onto the RYCA bracket.  There is enough metal that I can weld on a bracket for the battery that would sit under the swing arm and just behind the engine.  I am not sure I like that spot for the battery - it is low and out of the way.....but it will get engine heat and splash from the rear tire.  I may end up with the battery up about where it used to be - behind the RYCA covers.

I also got the frame cut for the seat pan.

I didn't like the open tubes on top, so I sanded down rubber stopper plugs to fit into the frame holes and provide a rubber top for the seat pan.  I used black silicone to glue them into place.

Once I had the seat pan properly mounted I could start on the tank.  The tank is a GT550 tank and it looked like it would fit easily....but I was wrong.  The tank hits the frame and sits too high, and the bottom  right side of the tank hits the engine where the cam chain housing is.  

This is the bottom of the tank:

I stripped the paint of the bottom of the tank and started heating it and using a hammer I worked on getting the tunnel higher.  Unfortunately I got about 1/3rd done and ran out of gas and the oxygen is low.  I seldom use the torches and the tanks were last tested in 1996.......so the tanks will have to be tested before they are filled....Dang!  Here is what I got done with my "blacksmith" skills:

This is where I cut the tank to clear the top of the engine.

This is the patch I started to put in tonight.....but there was not enough time to drag out the welder and get started.  I just cleaned up a bit and called it a day.

This is what things looked like before I started to lower the tank.  At this point I have not lowered the forks and the rear may be a bit low, as I have 12.5 inch stick for shocks.  The RYCA  bikes use 13 - but I was going to try and keep it a bit lower.

« Last Edit: 02/05/13 at 05:24:49 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 02/03/13 at 19:18:56

darn...looks good...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 02/03/13 at 20:40:31

That looks awesome! Actually, in your photo the tank height looks just fine to me; how much lower is it going to go?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 02/04/13 at 04:48:00

teabowl13 wrote on 02/03/13 at 20:40:31:
That looks awesome! Actually, in your photo the tank height looks just fine to me; how much lower is it going to go?

It is only going down 1/2" - 3/4" more.  I need to get the front of the tank down until it is just above the frame.  The front of the tank was sitting up too high and was going to interfere with the triple clamp bolt and the fork legs.  This tank does not taper much on top and it has to sit down as much as possible......and there is not any room to move it rearward or it will be into the seat platform.

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #34 - 02/04/13 at 13:30:08

Something to consider regarding the tank height; cafe racers look best, IMO, when the bottom line of the tank is is line with the bottom line of the tail section.  Looks like you've got it pretty close now, so if you have to drop the tank, try to drop the tail section / seat by the same amount to keep the lines clean.  Just my $.02, take it as you will...

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #35 - 02/04/13 at 13:46:15

Teabowl and Smokestack are right from the aesthetic viewpoint, hope you can drop the seat a little as suggested

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #36 - 02/04/13 at 19:07:12

Wow! This is what I'm going to have to keep up with on the Dragon Run Shocked Roll Eyes???? Boy am I in for a loooong week Grin Wink

Dave it's really coming around! Shades of the old Norton Manx!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 02/05/13 at 05:27:37

Last night I got the tank welded up where the cam chain housing interferes.

Wednesday night I will work on making a new mounting place for the petcock....it needs to be farther back on the tank as it is too far forward and hits the cylinder.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 02/05/13 at 05:30:18

jcstokes wrote on 02/04/13 at 13:46:15:
Teabowl and Smokestack are right from the aesthetic viewpoint, hope you can drop the seat a little as suggested

It does look good right now.....but won't function well.  I has to come down about 1/2" to make room for the forks to move.  The top of the tank is sitting up level with the top yoke, and it has to come down to make room for the yoke to move around.  I will get a picture of that so you can see what I am trying to fix by lowering the tank.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 02/10/13 at 17:23:34

Well.....It has been a long couple of days working on the bike.....but surprisingly little was done.  I spent Saturday morning getting rental tanks for my torches....as mine were empty and need to be tested.  I started about 1:00 on this:

But in order to get it done low enough that the forks would work, I had to do this, and it took about 6 hours of heating, hammering and fitting:

Then once I got the tank to sit low enough, I made the front tanks mounts:

When I made the fork stops for the RM400 triple trees, I guessed about where they should stop and made them more restrictive than the stock ones - but it was not enough.  The forks would hit the tank and they need room for the clip ons - so I made this stop to bolt onto the frame.  I can trim this one as needed, and I will do the final trimming and shaping once the tank is mounted, and the headlight brackets and clip-on handlebars s are in place.

Finally, the last thing I did tonight before coming in was weld up the stock GT550 petcock location - the petcock will have to be moved back to get clearance for the cylinder.  I will have to grind the welds smooth and then weld on a mounting point for the Raptor petcock:

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 02/14/13 at 05:38:22

I have had meetings Monday and Tuesday night this week and I got nothing done.  Last night I made a tool for the forks and cut some spacers.  I spent a good amount of time just looking through my spare parts and metal supplies to find the right product for the spacers.  My RM400 triple tree will allow me to raise and lower the forks without the spacers - but when I slid the forks down about 2 inches to what I beleive will be the right height - the forks seals were going to just bump into the bottom triple tree at full travel.  I made these 1/2 inch spacers to limit the travel and provide some clearance, and to make some preload on the springs now that there will be a bit more weight shifted forward.  I made the spacer from black iron gas pipe.  I made the tool from a 3/8" drive broken swivel that I found on the street while I was measuring for a waterline project, and a bolt with a 24mm head.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 02/19/13 at 18:18:14

The work the last week has been slow going....lots of fabricating and fitting and welding and trimming, etc.

I got the mount for the petcock relocated:

Tonight I finished the project that has taken several nights to finishg.  I now have the tank mounts made and the tank is now attached:

The GT550 tank has this spot where it would sit on a rubber cushion on the frame:

I made this mount and rubber block for the tank to sit on:

I then used the GT550 rubber strap and made a new piece for the strap to attach that is under the tank instead of on the back where it hit the seat:

The angle of the tank and seat is just a bit off.  I can work on lowering the front of the seat a bit and see if that solves the angle difference:

I put a straight line of tape to help illustrate the angle difference between the seat bottom and the tank bottom.

The next thing I am going to work on is the headlight mount, so I can put the forks back on and then work on the seat mounting angle.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 02/21/13 at 14:28:05

That's amazing Sir!! She looks great so far...   Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 02/26/13 at 05:19:58

I believe I may have been able to assemble the front end together again for the last time, and the front wheel is again on the ground.  I had to build the headlight mounts so the forks could be put in the triple trees.  The forks now have 15W Maxima fork oil, 1/2" spacers to lower the front a bit and the rest of the lowering will come from dropping the fork tubes in the triple tree yokes.  I made the headlight mount from the turn signal mounts and some aluminum stock.

I was originally going to mount the turn signals on the arms for the headlight - but I don't believe the will be that visible that close to the headlight.  Tonight I will make brackets to mount the turn signals on th lower triple tree yoke.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #44 - 02/27/13 at 19:48:52

Cloudy wrote on 02/02/13 at 11:23:33:
Dave wrote on 02/02/13 at 09:41:16:
Cloudy wrote on 02/01/13 at 16:21:51:
A question about the stock tree's that you show earlier in this thread, Do they have some built in rake? If so do you know approximately how much. Still waiting on the delivery of our first s40 so can't check for myself. I want to add a bit of rake to my trike and these tree's and forks might be an option for me.

I just turned the stock top yoke upside down and held it against the bottom yoke.....and they match.  There is no rake built into the stock triple trees.....the fork angle is parallel with the steering stem angle.

Cool, thanks for that. Photos can be deceiving sometimes

Good looking job. One reason the Savage looks good is the 32 degree (I think) rake, but it is good to understand the need for keeping "trail" in the right range. I'm not saying you don't understand it, but reading up on it won't hurt if you're not fluent in rake and trail dynamics. Again, great job by a master craftsman. Just don't want you to get twitchy or have a tank slapper at 85mph--or have to find a field to turn around in.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 12:13:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.