loud noise (Read 318 times)
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

loud noise
01/26/24 at 19:01:44

Hey there everybody
     I recently got a 1996 savage about 7k miles. very well taken care of I've put about 2k miles on it and i haven't had any problems. I'm very good with engines, I never have any problem doing anything from rebuilds to simple diagnosis... but I'm stumped. about 3 weeks ago I started doing some digging on this site for some common problems and saw the verglagen adjuster mod and said well that's pretty easy to figure out made my own of the same and it turned out very well. I then while I had the cover off I replaced the clutch and changed the oil. Everything went as smooth as could be I even went as far as new exhaust gasket, adjusted the valve lash to .004" after checking specs that stated between .003" .005". reassembled everything.... in the process I checked the plug and it was hand tight so i pulled it, its slightly dusted white so i replaced it and tightened properly. Started it up and it has a very loud tapping sound from the top left side of the engine i checked the decomp. assembly from beginning to end. That was not the problem. i checked valve lash that stayed so i tightened to to .003" and it still remained as a loud tap and it gets louder as it warms up. If anyone has any idea on what i need to check please tell me. This bike will be my fiancés birthday gift in a couple weeks and i want it in tip top shape.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: loud noise
Reply #1 - 01/26/24 at 22:37:13

1st I'd say you have to inspect the work you did.
pull the cover off to see if everything is ok.

You said loud tapping left side, does that mean top left side?

Then I'd pull the stator cover.
you can pull the starter and check it 1st
and spin the gears inside, it'll go 1way and not the other.

The only other thing I can think of is loose rotor nut.

WWW   IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/26/24 at 22:42:15

Yes, I apologize top left side if I use stethoscope and work my way from bottom of crank case up the engine it gets louder. Where I gear it worse is on the left side in the cavity recessed area about an inch from the top of the engine and towards the front which feels to me like I may have been off on my valve adjustment. But I checked it again it didn't get much quieter so I'm confused.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/27/24 at 02:58:12

The original spark plug was loose.....and you replaced it.

A loose spark plug can move around and make a noise.

Perhaps something is wrong with the spark plug threads.

You also replace the exhaust gasket.....is that seated properly?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/27/24 at 05:54:11

I thought about that too so I checked. And I checked compression and it is good I think it may have just been a previous error

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/27/24 at 06:28:03

Did you get it figured out?

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/27/24 at 07:03:09

Not yet I will be double checking everything again here in a few.

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/27/24 at 18:29:18

Evening,
 I checked everything over again and I put hands on everything i touched and i still dont see the problem so i may check the valves one more time maybe they are rewuiring a hair tighter than .003"??

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 01/27/24 at 18:43:44

After you adjusted the valves the 2nd time, I think you expressed that it got a little quieter.  Is that right?  If so, that would be where I would check again.  And sounds like you know this, but make sure you are TDC on the compression stroke.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 01/28/24 at 12:48:09

I agree with the suggestions to recheck all your work.  It wasn't making the noise before you worked on it.  You need to make sure that the mod you did to your chain tensioner isn't hitting any of the moving components.  Would be most helpful if you could take some photos and post.

You also need to make sure that you didn't adjust the valves with the crankshaft positioned somewhere other than TDC compression.  Inspect the underside of your valve covers for evidence of an adjuster screw contacting the valve cover.

Although it seems unlikely, you could possibly have a loose flywheel.  That seems unlikely since it wasn't making noise before you worked on the bike, but it is a known source of loud noise on the left side.  It will make a pronounced metallic clack as you throttle up.  This old post provides a video.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1660775470

You can also check the compression release by gently moving the lever on the head cover while the engine is running.  You should not feel any thing contacting the compression release cam until you move it up with your finger.  Once it starts to contact the rocker arm you will feel it and also hear a loud audible clicking.  You should be able to move that lever about 2 to 3mm before the release cam starts to contact the rocker arm.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/01/24 at 13:00:50

So I've spent the couple hours checking everything I did again and I checked everything extra that was said and I can't figure it out. Tomorrow I'm going to tighten them just a hair more and see if it continues.

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/01/24 at 18:13:27

Something else for you fellas.... when the bike is running I can put my finger on the decomp cable and pull it hard the noise stops and the decomp lever taps instead... now with the noise if I let it idle for a while it goes away if I rev it up it doesn't do it very loud but if its under load it gets significantly louder.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 02/02/24 at 04:32:08

That’s it.  Mine was out of adjustment on the first Savage I owned.  It did the same thing.  The adjustment must be made with the bike TDC on the compression stroke.  The manual says the shaft should extend out 3-5mm from the solenoid.  I aim for 4mm using a small ruler.  I err to the 4-5mm extension as opposed to 3-4mm.  There is a whole post on this topic in the technical library.  I’ll see if I can post a link here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1169356966

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/02/24 at 04:42:07

I found this photo particularly helpful in the link I shared above.  Good visual of how it should look when adjusted within spec.  

This is the gap under the decompression lever cam and the exhaust valve rocker arm when I set the solenoid shaft to 4 MM.

The engine is at TDC on the compression stroke by using the valve timing mark and watching the exhaust valves.

IMG_3495_001.png
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/02/24 at 04:57:07

I dont know if it helps, but I had something similar happen to my bike - I had my mechanic replace the clutch and the clutch never felt right and the bike was making a loud tapping noise. I called the mechanic, he blamed the clutch on being non OEM, suggested replacing Baron springs with OEM, so I brought it back and he did - marginal improvement i clutch performance and the tapping continued.

I decided to do the valve adjustment, they were within spec when I checked, but I got the perfect. The tapping still continued.

So I decided to take a look at the clutch myself, turns out he put in the gear behind the clutch backwards, and the pin fell out, and the oil pump wasn't being engaged. I only put about 200 miles on the bike after he did the shoddy work, and when I drained the oil it was jet black, completely burnt. Ever since the bike keeps burning oil.

Check out the video I sent him when I discovered his screw up.

https://youtu.be/zx6pIK9G-7I

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 05:54:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › loud noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.