Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 17417 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......The project begins!
Reply #60 - 03/31/13 at 15:22:37

I had a pretty good week.  I got the clip-ons mounted, levers, brake master cylinder and throttle.  I then made the throttle and clutch cables from the kits I got from Venhille.

Today I made the decompressor lever system and made the cable.

Here is the bracket:

Here is the clutch and decompressor levers.

Here is the view from the seat.....Can't wait to sit in it and go for a ride!  I bet that is still a month off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #61 - 03/31/13 at 15:39:52

looking really good man

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #62 - 03/31/13 at 17:16:10

Dave the project seems to be coming together quite well, can't wait till she's on the road  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #63 - 03/31/13 at 19:56:43

Everythings looking good Dave! It's gonna be one sweet scoot when you get it on the road.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #64 - 04/02/13 at 00:22:47

Dave -

As the others have said, thanks for sharing your build with us and for
taking the time to document it with such good pictures and explanations.
Even though you're on a tight schedule you've designed creative,
well engineered solutions and crafted them with excellent workmanship.
Your fellow Dragon Runners will be proud to have you as a riding mate.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 04/02/13 at 03:03:37

Todd James:

Thanks for your encouragement.  The Dragon riders last year were all great guys and I really had a great time spending a few days with them.  I have never ridden with a "pack" before and I enjoyed it immensly.  Last year they tolerated my loud loud and clanky engine that had a loose flywheel nut.....so this year I hope to just motor along smoothly without any issues.

The schedule is becoming very tight, and I really need a a few weeks of riding and trouble shooting before I go to the dragon.  All of these little projects have the potential to not work out without some tweaking.....and when you throw so many changes at a bike all at once it may take a while to get things worked out.  The carb swap to a Mikuni will take a while to get jetted properly I imagine.

I don't believe I will have enough time to get the front fender fitted, the side panels mounted, the rear swing arms mods and Kawasaki 454 front pulley mounted - or the bodywork painted.  The bike will ride just fine without that work, and I will do it next winter.  I can spend this summer getting the bike to run and ride well.

Dave  

« Last Edit: 02/07/24 at 06:31:34 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #66 - 04/03/13 at 00:49:39

Take some rattle cans of various colors with you and let each of your
riding mates contribute their artistic touches to the unfinished body
panels during the course of the event. You'll emerge from the Dragon Run with a truly unique scoot Smiley  ... and some photo and video memories that
you can share with all of us !

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #67 - 04/07/13 at 18:02:45

Well I spent 2 long days this weekend on the bike.  I got up at 5:00 and worked until 8:00 on boths days.......hard to believe some stuff can take this long.

It took me about 10 hours to design, cut, build  and paint this battery box.

The battery box also serves as the lower half of the rear fender.  Today I was able to mount it.  It has the battery on top, the brake light switch is mounted on the right side, the starter relay is mounted below the battery, and the igniter is located on the left side).  I also got a lot of the wiring around the engine done today.

When you build this stuff one at a time.....it reallly makes you appreciate how much time and effort Ryan and Casey at RYCA went through to put their stuff into production.  I am glad that I bought a lot of their parts instead of making them (seat, seat frame, peg mounts, body panels, etc.).

« Last Edit: 04/08/13 at 04:14:39 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 04/15/13 at 05:25:56

This weekend I worked on the exhaust.  I bought a chrome megapone on eBay that had nothing inside - which would be too loud for me.  I bought some parts from Meg's exhaust to make something to put inside.

I was planning on making a baffle system in the front and a glass pack at the end - but 17" just is not enough room for all that.  I ended up with a 1-3/4" baffle system up front where the exhaust enters the pipe and hit a bulkhead and must exit and flow into the megaphone - followed by the same system with a 2" pipe at the rear.  The front baffle is removeable if the system proves to be overly restrictive.  I hve absolutely no idea how loud this will be?

I then made a stailess adapter with a 10 degree bend to provide clearance on the bike.  Tonight I will work on making a bracket to brace the muffler.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #69 - 05/03/13 at 06:17:54

I haven't updated for a while, just been busy working on it and the results are not impressive in photographs....but it has been work that has to be done and takes time.

I was able to weld on mounts for the rear turn signals, and it took and entire day and a half to get the rear license plate worked out.  I wanted a plate mount that would not hang on the back fender - and yet I wanted something that was legal anywhere I went.  I finally located it on the side and tried vertical first, and then discovered that there was not enough room between my turn signals and pulley to give the plate room as the suspension bottomed out.  So I ended up with the plate horizontal, which will make the bike more acceptable to law enforcement.

I did not order the tail light mount that RYCA sells, and I first tried bending some metal to match what they did, and I finally abandoned that idea and just made a bulkhead from aluminum and fiberglassed it in.

The tail light that RYCA sells has white lights for a license plate, and the white would bleed over into the red tail light and make it pink.  I opened up the tail light and there are six white lights.  I found out that if you take one bulb out on each side - the other 2 don't light up anymore....they must be in a series of 3.  Now I don't have a license light in the tail light anymore.

The GT550 tank sits about 1/2 inch farther back and I needed to trim the front of the seat.  The GT550 tank also does not need the notch for the rear mount that is on the LS650 tank.  I pulled the staples and pulled the vinly back, and cut the front of the seat.  I tried stapling with my heavy duty hand stapler.....and they would not go in.  I stopped by an upholstery shop and they stapled it back together for me.

This weekend I will get th license plate lights working and bolt the seat on.  Then with the handlebar electric controls wired in, front turn signals and headlights wired, and headlight mounted.....I might be able to mount the tank and put fuel in!  I think I may have it rideable in the next week! Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 05/05/13 at 17:11:32

In about a week it will be 5 months since I started this project (1/13/13).  I have been working on it pretty steady - I have been surprised by how long some of the fabrication has taken.  The battery box took me about 12-14 hours, the license plate mount about the same.

I spent the last 2 days working on wiring the handlebar controls.  I am using 7/8" bars and I got controls that will work with those smaller bars and look more appropriate on a Cafe' racer than the Cruiser parts the Savage comes with.

I spent a lot of time right here......matching and splicing the wiring harness for the Vapor Speedometer and Tach, the left side and right side controls.  It got a little tricky as the new controls have the emergency flashers on the left instead of the right, and the color schemes for wiring is not consistent.

The right control is from a Kawasaki KLR650.

The left control is from a Suzuki GSXR1000.

Remaining things to do are put brake fluid in the front brake and bleed, get the bike on the ground and adjust the controls, adjust the belt tension and tighten the front pulley, install the mirrors, install pulley cover,  hook up the battery, check all the nuts/bolts for tightness, put in fuel..and see if it runs!  It is supposed to rain until Tuesday....and I have a meeting that night....so expect the maiden voyage will be late this week or the weekend! Grin  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #71 - 05/05/13 at 17:21:00

Ooh!... Huh, Ooh!... Huh, Ooh!... Huh, Ooh!... Huh, !!!!...

PS...."Thumpin' Special......The project begins?"... Huh...

Dave... I think this thread, is due for a re-title...

It better,.. ...I've been waiting... Grin...
WE WANT PICS!.... ROLLIN' PICS...
ROCK N' ROLLIN'  PICS!... Grin...

« Last Edit: 05/05/13 at 22:18:01 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......5 months in 5 pages!
Reply #72 - 05/06/13 at 04:31:25

Right now it kind of looks like a Rat/Cafe' mixture.  The front fender, side panels....and paint are just going to have to wait until I have time to address thiem.  Right now the focus is going to getting it running and rideable, and work the kinks out before the Dragon Run in about 5 weeks.  I may also need to spend some time in the saddle and see how it feels for a 3-4 hour ride session?

TECH TIP:  I had read on this site about using WD40 to mount grips.  I had thought that was a bad idea.....as it was a lubricant.  The rubber grips I was using were very tight, and I did end up trying the WD40...and it worked great.  I had to spray both the handlebar and inside the grips, and they did slide on, and even as I was moving them into position they started to lock on tight.  I am not sure where the lubricant goes....I guess it is absorbed into the rubber as the grips are now tight and don't slip.  This may not work well on foam type grips....but on solid rubber ones it worked great.
« Last Edit: 05/07/13 at 05:31:59 by Dave »  

IMG_0920.JPG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #73 - 05/06/13 at 12:01:16

WD 40 goes away over time, even sprayed on metal. How did I learn that? My boss had me spray all the parts for a Big Ol OIlfield trucks transmission & put them up on a pallet, up high, outta sight in the shop. A few months later I had a reason to go up there & What did I see?
Rust, allll OVER that stuff,, They even tried to accuse me of not sprayin it down,, but, I stuck to my (true) story.. & the transmission? Well,, it went into the junk pile,

OHH,, Edit to add

DUDE!! Youve done so much to that bike & its gonna look good, for sure, but, only Savage riders who really know their bikes will be able to look at yours & appreciate all youve done. YOuve got a great shop & youre a smart guy. Ride it, have fun, stay safe,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #74 - 05/06/13 at 16:19:39

Wow! Just read this thread in it's entirety. It's almost impossible to wrap my brain around the amount of design and fabrication you have done on this bike. The bike looks fantastic. The seat looks like it might be....how shall we say....firm? But it looks sharp. Nice work with the forks and triple tree. It is easy to see that you are an engineer with the quality of the parts you fabricated. Awesome job Dave!!!!!

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 23:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.