Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 17417 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......The project begins!
Reply #15 - 01/17/13 at 10:08:51

Progress has been a bit slow the last few days.......I got very sick and am still not well.  I had a fever that jumped between 100 and then down to 97....then back up to 100.  I have barely had enough energy to sleep!

I did get the engine/footpeg mounts cut back, and I used a sawzall.  The frame is hard metal and it took a blade for each cut......the metal just wears out the blades in a hurry.

My order from RYCA shipped yesterday, and I should feel well enough this weekend to get a lot done on the front forks.

I posted an add in the Marketplace - I am looking for the electrical connectors and wires leading from both the left and right side handlebar controls.  I don't need the controls so if you have some that are damaged but with good connectors they would be great.  I am planning on using electrical controls that are smaller - but the connectors don't match.  I also need the bottom nut from a speedometer cable to use to block off the stock drive on the engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 01/20/13 at 15:33:32

Well I was able to get the front end apart this weekend.

This is the RM400 and stock triple tree comparison.

I had to machine the shaft as the original bearings were ball, and the Savage bearings are roller.  I also had to weld some additional material on the bottom and cut it round in the lathe for the bottom bearing to ride on.

I also had to machine a lip on the triple clamp for the different style seal.

I then cut some aluminum blocks that will be welded on to function as the fork stops.  They are a bit big in the photo - but after they are welded on I will trim them down to match and blend in.  I have a friend with a TIG welder that will put them on for me sometime this week.

Once I get the post pressed back into the clamp - then I can mark and cut the opening for the fork lock.  I just don't think I can accurately cut it with the thing apart.....as I have made the fork stops limit the travel a bit more than stock so that the clip ons are less likely to hit the tank.  I can trim the fork stops down if they are too restrictive.

Tomorrow my order from RYCA should be here, as well as the bolts from Fastenal that I ordered for the shorter engine mounts.  I don't have a meeting every night this week.....and with a few boxes coming that includes peg mounts, rear sets, seat, tail light, etc.  I should have plenty to do! Grin

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #17 - 01/20/13 at 18:27:27

wow Dave.....neat tools and the skills to use them......just great! Makes my "dirt floor tobacco barn" machine shop look like the joke it is.

You're coming along nicely!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #18 - 01/21/13 at 04:43:06

Great work so far Dave     Smiley

@ZAR- Hey man as long as you have the space to do what you need to do, that's all that matters    Wink   But yes Dave's workshop makes me a bit envious too LOL  Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 01/21/13 at 04:58:32

I LOOOOOOOVE my workshop, and I spend hours and hours in it.  I was a bachelor until I was 38 and lived in an apartment without a garage, and then when I got married we bought a house and I had my first garage that was tiny and cold.  I have spent a lot of cold hours working on things with mediocre tools out in the cold.  We saved up money for 10 years and then were able to build the house and garage of our dreams.....and in another 10 years it will be paid for.  We have an outdoor wood boiler and it heats the garage and house in the winter, and I have tubing in the concrete floor that circulates hot water from the boiler and my garage is nice and toasty!  I bought a metal cutting bandsaw and a lathe a few years back, and I have a MIG welder......and those tools open up a whole world of possibilities.  I have a freind with a TIG welder and the ability to use it......and sometimes that it better than my MIG for welding.

Spending time in my garage is good therapy for me....... Shocked

IP Logged
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/21/13 at 05:47:20

Like it...good job...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 01/22/13 at 18:11:50

I didn't get a bunch done tonight.....I guess MLK Holiday held up the delivery of the RYCA parts until tomorrow.

I did spend a lot of time doing this tonight.  Laying stuff out, finding the center, getting the tools out, building a jig all took a lot of time.  Drilling the holes went pretty quickly once I was all set up.

ThumpinSpecial_002.jpg

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/22/13 at 20:00:31

That's intense!!
You are doing some fine work sir!
Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 01/26/13 at 18:26:40

This week I got some done....but not a lot.  We are back to working 5 day weeks...having Friday's off was nice if you don't mind losing 20% of your pay!  Today was the only day I could do much this week, tomorrow I am helping a friend take the transmission out of his car.

I did manage to get the fork stops mounted - I didn't weld them but used screws mounted from underneath.  I then polished them up.  Here is a picture of the original ones on the right, RM400 on the left.

I then put a bit of grease on the fork lock, and installed the bottom yoke and stem.  I then operated the lock and it left a dab of grease where I needed to cut a hole in the stem for the fork lock.  The original one used some massive cutter that probably made the hole in about 5 seconds - but all I could do was use my drill press and a milling bit and it took about half an hour.  My drill press is not a very good one and it bounced around a bit - but I went slow and it turned out OK.

Here is what it looks like right now.

I put the GT550 tank on and it appears the fork stop position will work pretty well.  The tank has a hump on the bottom that does not let the tank come down in front as far as it should, and the petcock location is directly above the cylinder and the petcock will have to be moved back farther on the tank.

The next chore is to mount the forks and adjust the size of the axle spacers to work with the narrower front end.

« Last Edit: 01/27/13 at 05:10:05 by Dave »  

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/27/13 at 21:38:22

DANG!! That's sexy...   Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/29/13 at 05:09:45

I did not get home until 8:00 PM last night - so I did not have time to do very much.  I had shortened one axle spacer, and in the shortening it removed the large shoulder that rests against the left fork leg.  I shortened the spacer enough that I could attach a thick washer to replace the shoulder - and it turns out the best washer I had for the job was a brass one.  I first soldered the brass washer to the axle spacer using acid core solder:

I then used my Eastwood plating kit and put a new finish on it.

Tonight I will cut the other spacer and get the front wheel mounted.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #26 - 01/31/13 at 18:55:45

Dang Dave....I've got to get over to your place soon. I need to see this work in person. That's first class all the way!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #27 - 02/01/13 at 16:21:51

A question about the stock tree's that you show earlier in this thread, Do they have some built in rake? If so do you know approximately how much. Still waiting on the delivery of our first s40 so can't check for myself. I want to add a bit of rake to my trike and these tree's and forks might be an option for me.

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 02/02/13 at 09:41:16

Cloudy wrote on 02/01/13 at 16:21:51:
A question about the stock tree's that you show earlier in this thread, Do they have some built in rake? If so do you know approximately how much. Still waiting on the delivery of our first s40 so can't check for myself. I want to add a bit of rake to my trike and these tree's and forks might be an option for me.

I just turned the stock top yoke upside down and held it against the bottom yoke.....and they match.  There is no rake built into the stock triple trees.....the fork angle is parallel with the steering stem angle.

IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #29 - 02/02/13 at 11:23:33

Dave wrote on 02/02/13 at 09:41:16:
Cloudy wrote on 02/01/13 at 16:21:51:

I just turned the stock top yoke upside down and held it against the bottom yoke.....and they match.  There is no rake built into the stock triple trees.....the fork angle is parallel with the steering stem angle.

Cool, thanks for that. Photos can be deceiving sometimes

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 23:41:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.