Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Spamy's Cafe LS650 Project (Read 5194 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Spamy's Cafe LS650 Project
Reply #45 - 07/30/12 at 07:00:11

Oh another wicked Idea I had. When using parts off other bikes, especially other makes, I's leave the brand labels on. Tank should say honda, rear fender says yamaha, the motor is suzuki, FE is kawasaki etc, leave it all labelled as such. If you paint em all well then, replace the label. Even better, get all the parts in a matching color, black obviously, but a lot of them made reds and blues that you can pass for another one's red or blue. Especially if it is one of those screw on decals. That way when people ask what it is. Come on man it says what it is right on it, some people cant read, jesus.
Sadly my chopper was a kawi FE in a set of custom triples. Wasn't that impressive to do just those 2.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 07/30/12 at 07:01:31

Spamy wrote on 07/29/12 at 19:48:09:
I built a house a few years ago....and it took 3 full years of constant work.  And yes.....the standards I had at the beginning were softened a bit as I got to the end.  I found that it was impossible to make an entire house "perfect".....and at the end I accepted "nice" as a good standard.

I cant count how many times Ive said "Thats good enough" during this build. Maybe I should name the bike that.  Its definitely not going to be a showbike. I plan on riding it all over, through puddles and even gravel, so theres no sense in making it too good.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Spamys Cafe LS650 Project
Reply #47 - 07/30/12 at 10:16:03

Spamy wrote on 07/30/12 at 06:56:19:
srinath wrote on 07/30/12 at 06:28:48:
How far is the fork leg from the tank @ full lock ?

Cool.
Srinath.

The fork tubes are say maybe 1 inch or perhaps 1-1/2 inches away. The clip-on itself is about 1/4 inch away.  But I mounted the tank that way on purpose because I wanted it as tight and clean as it could be at the  front. Im not crazy about seeing a bunch of the head area of the frame.

Many of the Suzuki cruisers models have a ton of the head showing and thats kind of an eyesore to me.

Oh 1-1.5" good that's encouraging.
The offset in the triples also makes the head tube show, of course I know why it had to be that way. If not you'd never get that neck unlocked the location it is in.
Thanks.
Srinath.

IP Logged
jase_mcgee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 08/04/12 at 18:58:01

This is what I want to do with my Savage.  I don't like the Ryca kit but it's good for ideas and I may end up using some of their parts.  How much did you lower the front forks and did you buy spacers or make them yourself?  Also, what shocks did you use?

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 08/04/12 at 19:20:57

I like #3. Black and red. The bike kinda looks like the old GS1000.

--Steve

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 08/04/12 at 21:16:35

I lowered the front end 2 inches. I made the spacers out of 3/4 inch aluminum electrical conduit. It worked well and was easy to work with. Its light weight and should cause no issues in there.

The shocks can be purchased on several places including the auction sites.  I went with 13-3/8 shocks. The length is adjustable and is capable of doing around 13 inches to 13-3/4 inches or so. They make a few other sizes also.  I actually would probably go a little shorter if I could do it again, probably 12-5/8 in or something like that.

I would buy those after you have the seat all set up and know where your tire will be in relation to it to get the right size.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 08/04/12 at 21:23:59

Paraquat wrote on 08/04/12 at 19:20:57:
I like #3. Black and red. The bike kinda looks like the old GS1000.

--Steve

I planned on doing the plain black and gold because I really like the look of it. But after a bunch of hmming an haughing (how the hell is that supposed to be spelled) i decided to go with popular vote and what my wife was pushing for. I have the tail done and am halfway on the tank and fender. Here is a sample.

Im thinking of slapping a number in the red areas or perhaps make up my own logo design of some type that looks like an old suzuki emblem or something with some text.

Id really like to have a black and yellow old style license plate.  But im not sure if I want to take the chances of picky cops having a problem with it. But I think it would look pretty neat.

« Last Edit: 10/14/14 at 09:33:51 by Spamy »  
  IP Logged
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Reply #52 - 10/17/12 at 19:38:57

I like it, I think the Numbers or logo in the red would look great. Nice work Nice ride

IP Logged
thabrock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tulsa
Reply #53 - 10/20/12 at 10:24:00

Did you have any issues wiring up the LED signals?  I am having one helluva time with both front and rear.  
Do you remember which wires for which signal?  

I would send you a personal message but I havent reached 10 posts yet.  

I have a 97 Cafe Savage (mod) AND a 2006 S40Boulavard Stock.
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 11/11/12 at 22:21:21

Does the savage petcock fit on the gt550 tank?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #55 - 11/11/12 at 23:26:07

thomasoconnor19 wrote on 11/11/12 at 22:21:21:

If it does, put the raptor in

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 11/13/12 at 13:03:49

thomasoconnor19 wrote on 11/11/12 at 22:21:21:

Don't know where Spamy has been the last month........

The GT550 tanks does not use the stock vacuum or Raprtor petcock.  The mounting bolt holes are farther not the same distance apart.  I have a GT550 tank, and I figured I woud have to weld a plate on the bottomof the tank to accept the Raptor.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #57 - 11/14/12 at 09:07:32

Z1 Enterprises should have mechanical GT/GS petcocks available.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #58 - 11/15/12 at 08:58:23

Dave wrote on 07/24/12 at 05:38:36:
I like the modification you did for the rear brake.

I saw my first RYCA in person this weekend, and the rear brake pedal action was bad.  The rod rubbed on the muffler, and the pedal could be pulled up and had no stop to limit the travel.  I also didn't like the fact that the shifter pedal was out just as far as the peg - which would make you have to pull your foot way out to the side when moving your foot above or below the pedal to shift.  All of the bikes I have ridden have the pedal sitting in a bit - and moving your toe above or below the pedal does not require a lot of movement.

Dave, did you actually get to ride the RYCA?   If so, what did it feel like?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #59 - 11/15/12 at 09:12:30

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/15/12 at 08:58:23:
Dave wrote on 07/24/12 at 05:38:36:
I like the modification you did for the rear brake.

I saw my first RYCA in person this weekend, and the rear brake pedal action was bad.  The rod rubbed on the muffler, and the pedal could be pulled up and had no stop to limit the travel.  I also didn't like the fact that the shifter pedal was out just as far as the peg - which would make you have to pull your foot way out to the side when moving your foot above or below the pedal to shift.  All of the bikes I have ridden have the pedal sitting in a bit - and moving your toe above or below the pedal does not require a lot of movement.

Dave, did you actually get to ride the RYCA?   If so, what did it feel like?

Nope - I saw that bike at the Vintage Motorcycle days at Mid Ohio.  It was in the Rockers and Mods tent on display and sitting or even touching was not well received.

I did see a RYCA this weekend in Louisville that is FOR SALE sale on the Louisville Craigslist.  The builder owns a bike shop near the airport and it was very nicely done.  I was able to sit on it - but did not ride it and I am not sure that I could.  My feet are just too big and fat to work with the angle of shifter pedal on the rear sets - and the toe pedals were adjusted up a bit too high for me.  It also felt like a long reach out to the grips on the clip ons.

I like the RYCA and Cafe look......and for most of the riding I do around home the riding positon would be just fine as I only ride 20 - 30 minute trips to work or around the country block to see what my neighbors are up to.  I do believe at a minimum I need to modify the pegs/pedals and the bars in my conversion.

My bike has not yet gone under the knife.....but I am planning on doing something this winter.  The next Dragon Ride may have a RYCA or RYCA poser on the trip. Grin

Here is the Louisville RYCA

My feet just don't fit here well........the toe pedal is too far out and it does not feel comfortable to move your foot over/under the toe pedal.

I think something like this will work better for me - but there may be some conflict on with the brake pedal on the muffler side.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 15:57:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spamy's Cafe LS650 Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.