Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Spamy's Cafe LS650 Project (Read 5194 times)
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Spamy's Cafe LS650 Project
Reply #15 - 07/24/12 at 08:05:32

splash07 wrote on 07/24/12 at 06:15:59:
Spamy wrote on 07/23/12 at 19:25:28:
By the way, if anyone is looking for a 30 inch braided stainless brake line for the front, I found a place that sells them for 36 bucks and they work great.

well? Where?

P.S. great build

I wasnt sure if it was kosher to list them on here. I dont want to mess with anyones business. Ill post it and if anyone has a problem Ill edit it out. But here it is. They work great. you need to use your current banjo bolts, the ones that come with it are a different thread.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/437/28909/ITEM/Streamline-Universal-...

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/24/12 at 08:13:47

I think its been mentioned on the site before but what used for the speedo was a 75' GT550 tachometer cable. It fit perfect. I bought it off of ebay for 10 bucks. It was used, but you can still get new ones for 18 bucks.

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/home.aspx?aribrand=SUZ#/Suzuki/GT550_(1975)/S...

Part # 34940-34030

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/24/12 at 11:11:30

Impressive!  I love the work.  The tank looks killer.  A friend has a xs750 tank I was going to put on my bike.....but you may have changed my mind.  That tank looks like it belongs.  I love your brake linkage, very well engineered.  I would be interested in a link for the stainless brake line you mentioned.  

I have the same shocks, you might want to take them apart and check for fluid (i barely had any) and recharge them with air or nitrogen.  Check out http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.250 around page 26-30 I believe he tears a pair identical to ours apart.  I used this as a reference when I got mine and with that help I could not be happier with them.  I used ATF and charged to 110 psi if I remember correctly.    

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/24/12 at 11:12:50

just saw you posted teh link to the line as I was typing.  I need to be quicker.

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/24/12 at 13:22:22

Very nice job!  Those polished bits are sweet looks far better than chrome!

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/24/12 at 15:03:33

scubachef wrote on 07/24/12 at 11:11:30:
I have the same shocks, you might want to take them apart and check for fluid (i barely had any) and recharge them with air or nitrogen.  Check out http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.250 around page 26-30 I believe he tears a pair identical to ours apart.  I used this as a reference when I got mine and with that help I could not be happier with them.  I used ATF and charged to 110 psi if I remember correctly.    

Thanks for the link. Im pretty familiar with this type of shock because ive rebuilt them several times before on other bikes. Of course those were actual brand names like Showa and Kayaba.

These are a bit cheesy. After receiving them I wondered if they even have a bladder inside.  Ill definitely have to take them apart and make sure they at least have what they need.

I figure on this bike the look is almost as important as the function, besides, the stock shocks were certainly not high performers anyways.  And Im not going to drop 500 bucks on nice shocks for a bike that I payed 600 bucks to begin with.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/24/12 at 15:05:28

Oh yea, the brake linkage can all be purchased at Ace or Osh for around 40 bucks minus the piece I fabricated and welded up.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/24/12 at 15:42:50

This is a great thread!

That link to the brake line: it looks like they have sizes from 18 to 34 inches at all the same price. If the quality is there and they fit, it will enable one to get exactly the correct length without too much trouble. Anybody use these lines?

I like the tank, especially since you had to do minimum mods. The Ryca tank mod entails dropping the tank 2 inches in the front, which requires some radical deconstruction of the tunnel and reshaping it to a rectangular cross section to drop down over the frame. From the side the Ryca bikes have a real "Skinny" look as opposed to your bike, which has more of a standard UJM type of profile, except for the cafe seat, of course.

I'm rethinking cutting up the GS250 tank that I'm adapting now that I've seen your project. Very inspiring.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/24/12 at 16:49:54

Spamy wrote on 07/24/12 at 15:03:33:
Thanks for the link. Im pretty familiar with this type of shock because ive rebuilt them several times before on other bikes. Of course those were actual brand names like Showa and Kayaba.

These are a bit cheesy. After receiving them I wondered if they even have a bladder inside.  Ill definitely have to take them apart and make sure they at least have what they need.

I figure on this bike the look is almost as important as the function, besides, the stock shocks were certainly not high performers anyways.  And Im not going to drop 500 bucks on nice shocks for a bike that I payed 600 bucks to begin with.

Agreed, that is why I bought them as well.  Mine had bladders....that had fluid in them  Huh   Should be no issue for you since you have experience rebuilding this type of shock.  If you get into it and have any pointers or find a pressure/amount of fluid you think is correct I would be interested in your thoughts.  Doing mine was the first time I had been inside a shock so there was a level of "winging it" involved.  
I ride the freeway almost every day, and a local two lane twisty often and so far these shocks have been great.  

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/24/12 at 17:01:05

John in Kalifornia wrote on 07/24/12 at 15:42:50:
This is a great thread!

That link to the brake line: it looks like they have sizes from 18 to 34 inches at all the same price. If the quality is there and they fit, it will enable one to get exactly the correct length without too much trouble. Anybody use these lines?

John in Kalifornia

I have actually already installed one of these brake lines on my bike and it works great. Its as nice of a brake line as any other make.

Mine came with a straight banjo connector on one end and a slight bend on the other and it hooked up, and after some bleeding of the fluid, works great.

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #25 - 07/24/12 at 17:18:42

I been searching for a speedometer like you have used. Where did you get it and what about the cable? Cuz I hear the stock cable is too short...

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 07/24/12 at 22:45:00

This is the speedo I bought. It works pretty good. If you decide to get a different one 2240:60 ratio is better suited for our bikes. Its not exact but its close enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-SPEEDO-GAUGE-KIT-HARLEY-DAVIDSONS-2240-60-RATIO-...

The cable i used I listed earlier in this thread. Its a tachometer cable of off a 75' Suzuki GT550.

The thing to keep in mind is that the cable comes straight out the back so its not easy to mount in the middle of the bars without it either being really high or tilted forward because of the headlight. You would need some kind of angle changer like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-Tonti-SP1000-Speedometer-right-angle-drive...

There is actually one on the back of the LS650/S40 speedo like that but Im not sure if it could be used or not, maybe though.

« Last Edit: 07/25/12 at 11:59:42 by Spamy »  
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/25/12 at 08:20:57

Here is a close up of the brake linkage I made up.

« Last Edit: 10/14/14 at 09:24:41 by Spamy »  
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #28 - 07/25/12 at 09:43:00

Spamy I Love your Bike!!!   Cheesy
Great build thanks for sharing   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 07/25/12 at 10:30:00

What effect will that linkage have when using the rear brake on a bumpy road that causes the swing arm to bounce up and down?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 08:36:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spamy's Cafe LS650 Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.